Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Dowling and Arthur Gourounlian expecting first baby.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

You follow accounts that discuss monitising of kids? What, for fun?

Gimme a break, Helen.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

But have you any reason to think that other than you want to keep saying it over and over? Because thus far you got nuttin.

Well no - the one making ANY claim have the work to do to support that claim. You have made a claim. You can not support it. I have not made a claim other than I see no reason to think that any set of parents is more ideal than any other yet. But I am happy to see that evidence if you eventually find any.

Until I make an actual claim though - what work do I have to do? None.

What little evidence I have seen show parents of other configurations faring just as well and in one or two cases faring even better. Unlike you I am happy to cite this on request rather than just run away. So it seems the claim that there is some "ideal" is based on nothing but wishful thinking or a fondness for tradtiion or one's own experience.

Well you said it yourself - the quantity of counter examples is reletively much smaller. Which just makes it difficult for the people likey ourself appealing to tradition to support your case. The only basis you have for it being an "ideal" is purely that it is just what most people have done most of the time. But that is not evidence for anything really. Your "law of averages" just means the children who fare best and the children who fare worst are BOTH more likely to come from the traditional parenting configuration. Because that is what an "average" means.

But nothing about that even remotely suggests such a configuration is "best" or "better" or "ideal". It is just different. Any no studies I have seen yet show that children of any other configuration are in any way likely to far much worse (or in many cases better either) than this average you are so precious about.

Different is just that. Different. All the work to show one is better or more ideal is there for you to do - but clearly you can't do it.

Well then the error being made is not an appeal to tradition but an appeal to the wrong thing entirely. Because parenting a child and creating a child are not the same thing at all. So "the way we are made" literally has nothing to do with it.

You said it "leads naturally" to that conclusion. Why? It appears to be a complete non sequitur to me. Just because X produces Y - that does not mean it leads naturally that X is the best thing for Y. My company might produce race cars - but that does not mean we are the best ones to drive it. Formula 1 race car drivers - few if any of who know how to build such a car - are the best ones to drive it.

The notion that "If you create it you are the best thing to use it / foster it / care for it / develop it" is just a fantasy. It is simply not always true and it is not true here just because someone says so.

The appeal to biology you make is shakey too. "The way we are made" is something we over come with science, society, culture and more all the time. We have in many areas over come or transcended or resisted our underlying biology and done so much more than the mere "way we were made". Hell even you and I communicating here electronically through text over who knows how many miles using the internet is so far from "The way we were made". We are not slaves to our origins or our biology. Not entirely at least.

No we are a species who can ask the question "Can we find other ways to do things other than the constraints of our underlying biology". And I am all ears to hear if there are better or worse ways to parent children than the mere "way we were made". And so far no one appears to have a single good argument for why the "way we were made" is better (or worse, in fairness) than any other. And you saw when asked for specifics about what makes this ideal so ideal - that the original user literally ran away. If it's so ideal why can they not even mention one little thing that makes it better. Other than this nebulous notion of "biological connection" which they also can not really describe why it makes anything de facto better.

Finally are you so sure about "The way we were made"??? My history in this realm is not great but did tribal humans have the "Nuclear family" that we consider traditional? Or was parenting a shared endevor over smaller groups of humans? I don't know. Do you? Did hunter gathering tribes conform to our notions of the nuclear family? Does every society today? Are there not some places where one man has several wives for example? How do they perform relatively speaking?

There is a lot of questions and room for study and data there. All I am saying is that until someone does such study - why should one shout "ideal" over and over when they have literally no idea if it is or not?

Or - as I suspect - is it in fact the entirely wrong question to be even asking in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Yes, you definitely have the weighty argument, I have nothing to support my position that the traditional parenting model is the ideal

Thousands of years of tradition is indeed meaningless ,how presumptuous of me

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Is it not the case that what we do now, generally speaking in society is very different to what humans did for the vast majority of our existence?

Refrigerating food for example, or using plumbed toilets.

If you want to justify a viewpoint, not being able to go beyond 'It was like that when we got here' or similar actually weakens your argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

My first thought on seeing the title was "fair play to him, at his age" but then realised I was thinking about Bryan Dobson.

I wouldn't say meaningless. I think it has a lot of meaning. Just not to support what you are claiming. Basically you are saying nothing but essentially that it must be best because it's the way we have always done it.

But you can not evidence it and as you admit above you have nothing to support your position. At least you are honest - I grant you that.

But if it was such an ideal at least one person should be able to give at least one reason or description of what is so ideal about it. But no - nothing. Curious indeed.

And as I asked another user - how sure are we of your claim to 1000s of years of tradition? My history on this is not strong but I am pretty certain there was other structures for the family. Native American Tribes. Scottish Clans. Islamic polygamous structures. Ancient Hebrews. Kibbutzim in Israel. US shakers and Oneida Communities. Mosuo in China where the children were raised by the mother and her family and the men were pretty much absent. Or Joint family systems rooted in Hindu traditions, emphasizing collective living and shared responsibilities.

So at best what you consider a fixed tradition is just what has become dominant in our own cultures. That in no way is an argument that it is better, best, or ideal. You have used the word "presumptuous" a couple of times which I think is you just importing a value judgement in emotionally that only you are appealing to. The most I can say about your claim is that you simply appear to have not a jot of evidence for it. That's all I would say. If YOU want to keep hitting yourself over the head calling it presumptuous - so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Pointing to advancements in technology is a rather weak analogy

• Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You were literally just told: there is no evidence to support the idea that mankind has been using rhe nuclear family model.for thousands of years - which is most certainly an apoeal to tradition - and another guess on your part,

As the poster said: you're saying the same thing again and again and ignoring the flaws in your argument and proof that it's really just guesswork.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Edit

Can't be bothered with this thread.

Quoting 1984 and pushing conservative ideals - you've clearly never read the book!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

The vast majority of us would be nothing without our 'mammies' . I have a good father but the majority of the care and bringing up was done by my mum. I cannot imagine explaining to my father that I got my first period and going for bra fitting with him. There is no love like a mothers love and thats reality - its a special bond like no other.

Two daddies bringing up 2 little girls and denying them a mother is just wrong. Its going against nature and biology and nobody will convince me otherwise.

If its a situation where the mum died its different then intentionally having no mother.

I have 2 cousins where their mum died when they were young. Their dad done his best but it just wasnt the same as having a mother. Its not a situation they would wish on any child.

Pointing to the default parenting model is a " conservative ideal" 🤔

And yet single dads do that very thing all the time. More power to them. And many people do just fine without their "mammies". Maybe YOU would be nothing without your mammy. Maybe. But I doubt it. Your path may have been different but I think the vast majority of us would find our way regardless. Some won't. Most will. And we know this because most do.

But you make a good point with your phrase "I can not imagine". I think thats the reason people like "Gym" and yourself and one or two others above have an issue with it. Each of us has had the upbrining we had. And so it is difficult to imagine another one. It is difficult to imagine life without someone or something that is important to us. But that is just a failure in imagination and nothing else. Imagine harder. It's a good practice and healthy I think to put ourselves mentally in the shoes and others who live different lives to us.

As it happens I live with two women and we have four kids. And my oldest daugther DID come to me first about her first period. Not her mother or her "other" mother. I was her first port of call on it.

Why? Well mainly because since she was a toddler I have been teaching her about her body. Not just sexual related stuff but everything. Fitness. Martial arts. Food. Meditation. And more. And I have taught my kids from an early age to listen to their bodies. I have thought them about morning "body scans" where you look for signs in yourself that something is different this day and to deal with it.

So when it came time for the first period I already had her listening to her body trying to spot it before it actually even started. Twice she came to me thinking it was about to happen. False alarms. But the third time she was right on the money. And because I had that "in touch with our bodies" relationship with her I was the first one she felt comfortable with to declare the first period had started. Because I had already nurtured that open and approachable and ongoing relationship of healthy and comfortable communication.

What does this teach us? I think it shows that each child has a different relationship with our parents. Your "mothers love" was different to your fathers love and was nothing like anything else in your life. That's nautral normal and fine. But you are extrapolating from that unique personal relationship to a generalsation that holds no water. We all have special bonds in our lives that "are like no other". Because we are individuals and they are too. And this is one of the joys of life.

Children of single parents, children who were adopted, children living with step parents and much more are growing up with their own unique relationships and bonds with their carers. And they appear to be every bit as nurturing and healthy and fine as any other. And the sole argument it seems that it isn't comes down to "Well I personally can not imagine it!".

Surely its still a case of denying a child a mother? Regardless of how it came to be?

Yes, it is. Its what you've been told is the default and you've accepted it blindly whilst ignoring the evidence of your eyes and ears telling you that lots of non-default families ate doing fine.

Leaving you here, as you know what my point is (and it's NOT that non-traditional setups are better) and you're not contesting it.

• Advertisement

Maternal death isnt denying a child a mother. Its a situation beyond control. The child is aware who their mother was and why she is not there.

2 men deciding to raise a child together is denying a child a mother.

Thats great for you but the vast majority of men would not have a clue about periods or to offer any advice to a girl.

There are loads of people out there who were raised in single parent families who will tell you it wasnt a great experience and given the choice they would have preferred to have grown up with a mother and father.

I sincerely hope that in 20 years time that these 2 little girls are not in the media complaining about the dysfunctional upbringing they had. I do really mean that.

Whats best for the little girls is the most important issue here not the need of 2 men to be parents.

But the point is: a child is growing up without a mother, right? Now youre saying it's OK?

Are you for real - Honestly you cant see the difference between a mothers death and a woman being paid to have a baby to hand over to 2 men.

Neither is ideal circumstances for a child growing up but a mothers death is a sad and unintentional situation where surrogacy for 2 men is very much intentionally denying the child of a mother.

Getting angey with me isnt going to make your inconsistent arginent go away: a child cant be raised without a mother.

To put it another way: if. God forbid, Brian Dowling or his partner passed away, you'd be totally fine with the situation?

The Dowling/Gourounlian girls have a non-show-business “aunty” mother/mother-figure who will no doubt be very close by throughout their lives to keep them some sheltering from the public lives of their show-business daddies, so long as they don’t get paraded too much.

Colm O’Gorman and his husband managed to raise their family in a mostly low key (read non-attention-seeking) way. He is a public figure, only insofar as his work is human-rights based, not publicity for the sake of publicity.

No I wouldnt be fine either dying but Im not fine with the situation of them being responsible for bringing up 2 little girls either. As I said earlier nobody will convince me that deliberately bringing up a child without a mother is ok for the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The point being made is relatively obvious.The poster believes it's better for a child, in general, if they are brought up by their mother and father. To intentionally deprive a child of that right is questionable.

That doesn't negate the fact that kids are brought up in all kinds of environments and may or may not get on perfectly fine.

There are no doubt plenty of same sex couples bringing up kids without issue or commentary but I think these two are using the situation to cash in. That's what concerns many people around the long term welfare of the children. Do you not have any concerns around this at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Advertisement

Of the pair Brian & Arthur, I prefer the latter, he comes across as more naturally vivacious and warmer hearted, and always seems especially grateful for the life he has has. I always feel Brian has a bit of a cold, botox-held expression, of course I only know them as celebrities figures who appear from time to time. Arthur also seems more at ease with the child, and vice versa.

Advertisement