Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options
1262728293032»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They've actually done a good stretch, and some of it deep enough in sections - like they just dumped the last of a load rather than spread it. Before Ballinastoe Cross (Djouce Golf Club) in particular.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

That spot has been crap for months. The whole section was a good CX training exercise for me up to recently. Classic case of "ahshur it'll do". At Cornelscourt there's an overgrown buddleia bush essentially blocking the entire path.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The N11 cycle track has been for many years one of the finest purpose built CX training tracks in Europe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The mall - the climb from ford de fyne up to fourknocks - has been tarred and chipped. Grand if you're climbing, wouldn't attempt a descent on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Not so much bad surface, but serious tailbacks on the Hazelhatch bridge stretch due to a " stop and go " set up on both sides of the bridge for road resurfacing .

Post edited by secman on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Meant to post this a few weeks ago.

Bellewstown from Bellewstown bridge up to quarry is a mess. I'd not be happy descending it.

The bottom 3 bends have stones all over them. There's a few decent potholes.

falling apart, or tarred and chipped?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

The road is ok. Not tar and chipped.

There's stones from farm machinery and couple house builds particularly in the bends. Potholes kn the descent.

there's a farm yard on the bottom bend, i suspect it's tractors from that farm carving up the road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Drake66

I went up the long hill road towards roundwood today. It has been absolutely covered in loose stones by the council.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Wicklow CoCo's ruining of the life of cyclists with their love of chip and tar is both well known and not understood by anyone.

I think that's the Old Long Hill. However the Long Hill absolutely covered in crap from the quarry this morning too.

Is that the Enniskerry side? Dicey enough descent if so.

Every. Farkin. Year.

The road from Rathnew to Glenealy has also had a load of loose chippings dumped on it, with derisory "25kmph" temporary speed limit signs in place… as everyone tears along at closer to 100kmph. It was never an enjoyable stretch for cyclists, but a disaster at the moment I'd say.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've noticed a fair bit of resurfacing around North Kildare in the above manner (spray of tar and a good sprinkle of stone chips). Most of the roads treated were not in a bad way and I know from cycling them that there are many (busy) roads in much more need of a top dressing.
    Was it a case of spending the budget for the sake of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Drake66

Sorry yeah old long hill road. There is a long stretch towards roundwood from after the Djoice wood car park covered in a thick layer of loose stones. Then the whole stretch from the crossroads near Victor's way to the roundwood junction is also covered

They're due to do stretched of the main Kilmac - Roundwood too.

How do they do 'proper' tarmac on hills, out of curiosity? What's the max gradient a steamroller can manage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Had to laugh - there is a stretch of bike lane down near Alfie Byrne road; it hasnt actually been officially opened yet but its already been dug up with patchwork repairs, for some cable or water thing.

On a different note - any regular cyclists through Cabra? There is a pothole there, its not wide but it must be about 10cm deep with a sharp edge. I always watch out for it. In Cabra West on main street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lazycyclist

Edmondstown Rd / Cruagh Rd is closed for the month of July. The first sign is just before the junction with Mount Venus Rd and the physical barrier is a few hundred metres before the junction with Pine Forest Rd. I'm guessing they are doing something with the bridge just before that junction. Stocking lane will be busier than usual as a result.

Advertisement