Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Discovering Increasing Automation in my new car

Options
  • 29-06-2024 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I collected my new pride and joy, a Toyota RAV4 hybrid, and am discovering the tech on board by driving it. Sales execs hardly even bother to point out the advanced features in cars any more, as they are becoming more and more advanced by the day without even fully detailing these advances.

I have MS, and wanted a car that’s easy to drive, can carry mobility aids, and have plenty of safety feature. I traded in a four year old Toyota CH-R hybrid, which was a very decent car, and got a decent value from the dealer

I was pleasantly surprised at the features I hadn’t been told about, and discovered for myself. The test drive was very good, but it is even better in “real life”. I find that if I attempt to exceed the speed limit, not alone do I get an initial warning sound, but the pedal offers resistance, until I slow down to keep within limit.

I’m being warned about speed bumps ahead, and “children about” warning signs. With the app, I was verbally advised of traffic ahead on my route today without setting any routing.

Reversing into my tight underground space against a wall is a breeze. It is an almost idiot-proof car.

It is all positive going forward for safety on our roads. Has anyone else been pleasantly surprised about the modern tech aboard your new(/ish) cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Only when I sat in the car with a manual did I discover it can park itself. It's a bit of a disconcerting sensation but also kind of neat. Proximity alerts, pedestrian alerts, front view cameras…none mentioned by the salesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Might this had been a Ford Focus? I remember when a firm of self-parking was/is offered on some models.

I’ve been distracted with things over the weekend but will take a closer look at my car manual tomorrow to see what I might be missing.

When I was listening to Oliver Callan on Radio 1 fairly recently I heard a lad from Limerick who, after difficult early years in relative poverty and with dyslexia, turned out to be of very high i collect and is running a global company developing and producing sensors for cars to enhance safety. He said his idea is not to make cars driverless, but to greatly enhance safety, and that these products are already in quite a few car models but will become a basic standard in about 10 years and the upmarket models will have even more enhanced features using sensors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭10-10-20

A friend picked up a new BMW some time back. He had a garage in which he kept a car occasionally and on account of the lovely new paintwork of the beemer, he decided to drive it into the garage that particular night. Anyway he was over-enthusiastic with his approach to the garage rear wall and the vehicle decided that he was a liability to himself so performed an emergency stop, started the hazard lights flashing and cut the engine and left him looking like a complete plonker in his new moo seats and lipstick-red paint.

…and that's how he found out that he had forward collision warning/detection system on his new BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

I don't think it's all positive...I dislike a lot of the driver aids in my new car ..

So much so that I knock them off...there's a lane departure thing that pisses me off no end...there are times when I need to go over a line without my steering wheel being jerked the other way....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭fits

yeah I think it’s brilliant. My ID.3 stopped me backing into things a few times eg low walls.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be caught dead in a Ford Focus.😱

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Recently drove the new Tiguan for a week. Automatic, front assist , adaptive cruise control, lane assist, closest thing to a self driving car. Rear camera, parking sensors, park pilot. So much assistance it almost takes the thinking out of driving and encourages phone use whilst driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I like ACC and the emergency stop when reversing if someone steps in behind. Also same for car breaking unexpectedly in front of you. I don't have lane assist which is what most people seem to give out about .

lane assist is disconcerting, but again if you use your indicator in situations where you need to cross a lane line, it won’t jerk the steering wheel. It reinforces good habits, and terrific for training a learner.

I find all the little warning inputs on my new car make me focus more on my driving…. But just maybe I’ll start ignoring them as I get used to them 🤔 I hope not. I don’t do phone calls when driving and navigate per voice instructions.

• Advertisement

🤣 Some time back a Ford Focus was much admired for its handling. However, having owned one for 8 years the head gasket blew. Not the best made cars. I had an old Škoda Octavia estate, that had punch and built like a tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The problem with this automation is that it mostly works but not quite. So when you drive from Blacklion to Belcoo it cannot tell the difference between speed limits in Kmh and mph and if there is speed limit sign missing it hasn't a clue. However, warnings can enhance safety and this technology will become common in regular cars, as a spinoff from the development of automated cars

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

About not knowing features of one's car, a person was parking their car but the drivers window was left open. The driver had not noticed and was walking away.

I pointed it out and the driver went to unlock the car, but I said that there is an easier way - just keep the 'lock' button pressed until the window closed. 'Oh, I never knew that!' said the driver.

Now that was a long time ago. So having features hidden features is not new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

lane keep assist on Kerry roads especially on BMW is a nightmare. I turn it off. It throws you into the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,745 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can they spot potholes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Was passed by a big 241 Volvo XCsomething on the M50 earlier, and the owner clearly had some of the safety features disabled. Tailgated me, overtook and was all over his lane, with his wheels crossing into the hard shoulder a couple of times, and tailgated the driver in front then...

You're talking old tech there. Mine converts automatically to MPH when appropriate, shows speed limits regardless of signage, and adjusts cruise control to the posted speed regardless of KmH or MPH. It advises the speed limits as appropriate to the jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Adjusting automatically is good for sure. However, I think of one place where the local authority imposed a 50Kmh limit for a small hamlet with a school, they erected large signs at either end imposing this limit but did not put 80kmh signs on the reverse for people leaving the restriction (I actually pointed this out and they later erected 80kmh signs). Any observant driver knows that the speed limit changed there, but the car would have you drive at 50kmh for the next 5Km.

Authorities could provide a digital speed limit database, but reading signs is prone to error.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The usual loud mouths in the motoring world decry new technology in cars and even moan about the falling sales of manual cars. We don’t start cars with a crank handle anymore so why should be be stuck with the antiquated stick to make the car move?

For a lot of people driving is a chore to endure and necessary because of how our housing has been built for decades. Anything that keeps them and those around them safer and makes driving easy for them is a good thing.
    ‘But it’s not perfect!’ Neither are drivers.
    The only backwards step is touchscreens for everything. It should be the regulation that heating and other essential controls must be easily activated but a physical button. That way I don’t have to take my eyes off the road, I can move my hand over to start it and adjust it with more cars whe it’s safe to give the dash a quick glance

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jsmrf

As a learner myself I couldn't disagree with you more on this point. This tech is great for those like OP who genuinely require them to maintain their independence whilst having peace of mind. But you stick an able bodied, able minded Gen Z'r in one of these off the bat all it's going to do is breed complacency, and complacency kills.

I had a hard mental barrier when it came to the prospect of getting behind the wheel because my Grandad, having driven for the army for about 20+ years, was a maniac. Never did a single theory or practical test in his civilian life and I had nearly two decades of that "experience" telling me the road was an insane asylum. Once I got over that, driving a manual was the next challenge as being autistic I was worried about having to fettle with a gearbox as such was dead set on only driving automatics, however many friends and family members talked me out of that because the practicality of actually developing my driving skill like it were a profession my life depended on would be the best way way forward. As such I am free to drive whatever it is I can reliably afford to put on the road, well once I am fully licensed, and will have the correct attitude to being the road which is always having my head on a swivel.

Besides, all those aids won't stop some eejit ramming you with his banger because he thinks he can just bully his way around the road. Not to mention, it's just more stuff that can go wrong and break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭PaoloGotti

I absolutely detest lane assist. Prevents me taking the racing line on twisty roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Kurooi

I'm not sure I see this as a positive for road safety. It's bling for making the sale, and no substance behind it. Are there any studies that suggest these make you safer, or a better driver?

For example I've seen a car that has little lights to tell you whether your left or right blindspot is occupied. Perfect, that's useful. But can I rely on it? If I see the light telling me it's clear to my side and I move to the lane only to crash into someone in it will Toyota step forward, pay my premiums? Will Gardai say it's grand the computer failed it's not my fault?

No! It's 100% my fault. I'm supposed to check my blindspot, myself with my own eyes. That makes sense. So I don't get it, it's extra flashing lights and sounds and limitations on my driving but ultimately Gardai or RSA or the kind people of the boards or the poor sod I crash into will tell me I was not supposed to use them. And they're right. So it's an extra distraction, or a crutch I will be burnt for using. And if I do against all advice rely on it, I will build horrendous habits.

I think this is technology getting ahead of regulation. I welcome exploring more features that can make our lives better, but I honestly think the manufacturers of these systems need to be held accountable for when they fail. If I crash because the car gave me wrong information to go off on, or the wheel locked because it misread the lining on the road I want to see that investigated and accountable. And we need this done, because next up is self driving and already we're saying yes the car drives itself but it's the driver who needs to be ready to come in and act if anything goes wrong. The manufacturer can take the profit but if anything at all goes wrong it's personal responsibility. We set this up in the most corporate favoring, nightmarish way possible.

I don't think any of us should be happy to see a system where the drivers are accountable for their cars programming, and it doesn't encourage that programming to be good it's specifically encouraging the opposite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

all it's going to do is breed complacency, and complacency kills.

I listened to a podcast once (a Tim Harford one I think) where this was discussed; and it was mentioned that this effect does happen with safety measures, but that the research seems to show that the effectiveness lost through complacency typically removes (very roughly) about 30% of the benefit of the technology.

I just know from personal experience having grown up with the boom of tech in the form of internet access and social media. Never bothered "learning" anything as such because I had whatever I needed at my fingertips. The more we as humans engage with tech the more disconnected we become from our surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You'll piss off a lot of "purists" saying that you like ADAS, but personally I have no problem with being reminded of a speed limit or being given a nudge to keep a little further left in my lane. I think it's only right that these are on by default

When more cars have these systems our roads will be safer.

I think this is the podcast where they discussed it; the effect where safety measures lead to increased risk taking or complacency is called the peltzmann effect.

I hired a BMW 520 at Kerry airport once, had to do that for exploring the lanes!

I learned to fly single engine aircraft before I learned to drive, back in early 80s. No automation, no GPS, a pen and paper, protractor etc were required to navigate. Nowadays piloting is heavily reliant on tech, especially in the commercial sector, which has improved safety enormously.

I learned to drive on a manual, an Austin Metro. My Dad had already taught me how to service his big old car, you really had to know about mechanics to cars going back then if you were not to keep breaking down.

Then Anti-lock braking came in which helped stop you skidding. But you had to re-learn braking, and to continue to apply brake pressure as it would engage and let the system do the work. It takes learning to get used to the new behaviours of cars as they get more sophisticated, but overall they are much safer.

Regarding car system not knowing the difference between kph and mph, you bet this little issue will soon be fixed by GPs re ignition of location. My dashboard has no physical dials, software lights up the sped etc. as regards physical buttons, yes my new car has them, and the air con buttons are enormous and intuitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I have a beautiful weeping willow at my gate, it's about 50 years old, quite tall and a wide spread. It has been likened to exiting the bat cave when driving through the long, trailing branches.

BMWs see it as a solid wall, stop and will not progress until I go out & pull the branches to one side.

• Advertisement

First off, fair play. I wouldn't have the spine to leave the ground even with the modern systems that make it way more accessible now compared to back in your day.

As for tech in cars, I'm not against all of it because I don't view it as being all the same. Antilock breaking is fantastic because in the heat of the moment that is going to make a world of difference in avoiding tragedy. However, when it comes to computer assistance that does the thinking for you like OP is describing, that's where I take issue. What's going to happen when that new learner has to get behind the wheel of a car that doesn't have the latest and greatest? Say they've been shipped off to college and all they can afford is an older model without any of this level of assistance, they're going to have the expectation the car is going to tell them what they need to do and when they need to do it only the reality is by the time they actually get any "feedback" the impact has already happened. What's great for some isn't always necessarily great for all. Great for people like OP, or maybe even yourself, but for new young drivers they should learn the fundamentals properly and develop a good ethos around driving.

Edit: I just realised you are OP, my apologies.

It's funny you should bring up requiring mechanical knowhow for older mechanical only vehicles as I am actually considering taking up a mechanics apprenticeship given the massive shortage and I like working with my hands

Post edited by jsmrf on

Advertisement