Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I remember seeing an article where Niall Scannell said that RG Snyman was a mentor for the likes of Tom Ahern, Edwin Edogbo and Evan O'Connell while recovering from injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭50HX

Surely that's part of being a high profile squad member regardless of injury, as in goes without saying

Page fillers for journalists imo

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Hopefully its not just lip service and that his involvement in the Munster set up has led to breakout seasons for Edogbo and Ahern and to a lesser extent for Munster and more so for Ireland U20's Evan O'Connell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

First off I would hope he is not injured anymore

I am not sure about the mentor business anymore than an Irish international would offer

I do think international players from overseas can provide all of the squad a different perspective on the position, so he would offer that to Ryan and Big Joe, as well as the young plpayers

Like any of the senior squad I would think it is normal for them to work with the youth members of the team

I have yet to hear the press report any player as not been a great mentor :-)

• Advertisement

Toulouse hammering Bordeaux in the Top 14 final

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Given Toulouse have won the Top14 at a canter should we reassess the CC final, one in which Leinster kept them tryless for 80 mins and 1 try in 100 mins and were a yard away from an 18-15 last minute win?

42-3

70'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Yea, we should've hammered Toulouse. How many turnovers did we give up on their 5m line?

I said before the final and said after it that Toulouse had an incredible squad and team. When you see the quality of players sitting in the crowd, they are an incredible team. It will be hard for any team to stop them next season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Toulouse winning the Top 14 means Leinster are a top seed for next season's Champions Cup. It's small comfort after the disappointment of losing another final, but it gives us a good launching pad for next season's campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

There is some context for Leinster season

Beat English champions Northampton along the way

Losing to bulls still rankles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Losing to the Bulls seemed to be down in part to a lack of available energy. Leinster just looked 10% off in everything they did. Ruck protection was glacial and under manned and how many little passes were a fraction too soon, too late, too low, too high or simply fumbled. One or two were snatched at in uncharacteristic clumsiness. It's been a long, long season for those guys. That CC final was epic….and Leinster could….and maybe should …..have won it.

If we lose next year, we will be told it's because we didn't play any really tough games :-)

Did they make a mistake on the travel? Munster and everyone else from what I can see base themselves in Cape Town, fly in and fly out.

Leinster went for 2-3 days to altitude which is not recommended because you don't get acclimatized in time. It's either a few weeks, like Ireland, or just fly in and out

Lowe played well but a few times you could see him off the ball nearly bent over

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

I thought they took a risk there flying in.. should have done what munster did. Mistake in retrospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

Leinster letting Sam Berman go to Ulster is very on brand for Leinster

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Maybe he's better off out of Leinster. Leinster aren't great at developing 12s. Who have they developed to international level since D'Arcy and Fitzgerald? Reid got one cap 10 years ago, if I remember right. Did McFadden ever start a game at inside centre for Ireland? Ringrose started one game against Oz in 2016 (?) but isn't really an inside centre.

If you lower the bar to 'who's been developed to be second choice at provincial level' then you had Frawley for a season or two before they bought in Ngatai. And then this season Osborne has got to that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster rarely get decisions on academy places wrong. You have to trust that the coaches know what they're doing here.

The fact that Berman was then picked up by Ulster is a sign of the Irish system working.

Berman is small for a pro level 12. He will be a good player for Ulster.

• Advertisement

Makes no sense.

yea, one thing its very hard to knock leinster on is picking in the academy. Prendergast is the only one that seems like a clear argument to me.

Should be an interesting class for leinster this year. A good few u19s maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The 1968 Mexico Olympics brought altitude effects on performance and training to public consciousness. It began a trend for athletes to spend weeks at altitude to boost red blood cell production etc. It seems that exposure to higher altitudes brings an almost instant negative affect on oxygen utility….low oxygen tension at high altitudes……literally within hours. It does seem better to get in and out as fast as possible. It may have been a significant cause of Leinster's 'lethargy.' I did a bit of research on polycythemia as a student in the early 70s as altitude training was 'in vogue' at the time. I can't remember much about it. I seem to recall that altitude increases iron absorption in the gut….about 3 x faster than native inhabitants. I have no idea how it is viewed today. I do know that many athletes hoped weeks at significant altitude would improve O2 availability. It does but it is very short lived once back at sea level.

Didn’t Gatland do something with Wales and ice rooms or similar in the 2011 WC? To boost cells in blood, or maybe I picked that all up wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Let's use Tadgh Beirne as the starting point of Leinsters major "miss"

List of Leinster players capped by Ireland since Tadgh Beirne made his international debut (bolded players are ones on the current tour to SA - and Hugo Keenan):

• Ross Byrne
    • Caelan Doris
    • Ronan Kelleher
    • Max Deegan
    • Hugo Keenan
    • Will Connors
    • Ed Byrne
    • Ryan Baird
    • Harry Byrne
    • Dan Sheehan
    • Jimmy O'Brien
    • Joe McCarthy
    • Ciaran Frawley

List of players released by Leinster capped for Ireland since Beirne:

• Eric O'Sullivan
    • Nick Timoney
    • Paul Boyle
    • Jeremy Loughman
    • Cian Prendergast
    • Oli Jager

So shockingly - you're wrong. Leinster as the biggest producers of rugby players in the country will have to let players go. That's an inescapable fact.

If you want to be pedantic (which to be fair to you TRC - you VERY much are….) you could consider Izzy a miss by Leinster. But that was a miss by the entire IRFU.

There are a limited amount of players in each province now who were released from Leinster who could be considered for our strongest 23 currently.

I would consider these players to be:

• Loughman
    • Jager
    • Beirne
    • Patterson

Those lists don't include the Leinster produced players through the academy in recent years who aren't internationally capped but have developed excellently and are capable of high European standard (Prendergast, TOB, Osborne, Penny)

So good for some of the players released by Leinster for making a good career for themselves. And congrats to those who have gotten internationally capped.

But let's be real here. Leinster choose the right player the vast majority of the time. Which is an extremely difficult thing to do given the huge number of variables a lot of which are intangible.

…. Unless of course you are referring to Leinster doing the right thing by releasing Berman because you don't think he will make it at the highest level.

But that requires you being positive about the teams you acknowledge. And as well all know - you are incapable of letting positive thoughts of that nature enter your psyche.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

That's some list. Some cracking players there. Loughman missing this tour is a mistake, for me. Not sure about Izzy. Is his current form due to Murphy? He's certainly very good. Did MacFarland screw the pooch there?

Leinster can't have them all. So some gaffe's will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Loughman can probably feel aggrieved to some extent. I don't know what the succession plan at Loosehead is but I hope it shows it's head soon. But Loughman appears to not be that player.

And I think it's very fair to put a lot of Izzys form on Murphy. He's a skills coach by trade, he won back to back U20 6 nations and narrowly missed 3 in a row (with a JWC final in there) playing a fast paced game depending on skills and speed. Izzy is the perfect player for this. McFarland hoped for a pen to touch and a 5m line out

Beirne doesn't even count either. He was in the academy. Different situation. Leinster basically don't miss in academy induction. Prendergast is probably the only one and soroka is constantly injured.

I'm going to hold judgement on berman because there does seem to be a slight trend of guys choosing to go to other provinces a little earlier which in theory should produce misses. That's just theory though.

Izzy was a centre in schools rugby i think. That was one of those where absolutely everyone missed on him. He was discovered in scotland i think. He did really put himself out there to be discovered though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭conquestscarer

Advertisement