Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options
1555657585961»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Just finished reading Perfume by Patrick Suskind.

Brilliant book , unusual but very enjoyable and it's really great escapism and really transports you back to another time and place.It's a very sensual book and you really need to use your imagination and get a feel for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I bought Stephen King's new short story collection the other day, it'll be my reward when I finish They Both Die at the End. Also, I was ridiculously excited to discover yesterday that he's currently editing an anthology of short stories by other writers, all set in the universe of The Stand, called The End of the World As We Know It. No release date yet that I can find, but I can't wait!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AMTE_21

A Heart full of Headstones by Ian Rankin. Nearly finished reading this, vintage John Rebus. Rebus has retired and suffering with COPD, but his past shenanigans in Police Scotland is catching up with him and may bring him down this time. I’m really enjoying this book.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,425 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Shipwreck: Gibsons of Scilly by Carl Douglas and Björn Hagberg

This book is centered on photographs, taken by five generations of the Gibson family, of shipwrecks along the shores of Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. Shipwrecks include impressive sailing ships, passenger liners, fishing vessels and naval vessels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

The Rhine: Ben Coates

Starting in the Netherlands, author follows the path of the Rhine , meeting locals and revealing the history of the river.

About third way through and its pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Miss Aldridge Regrets by Louise Hare. A murder mystery set in the 1930s. Lena is a singer in a Soho nightclub who thinks her life and her career has passed her by. When she’s offered a job in a Broadway musical, sailing on the Queen Mary first class , she thinks it might be too good to be true. But she gets caught up in murder in Soho so jumps at the chance. But her troubles follow her on board. It’s a good read, the plot a bit far fetched and confusing but it captures the atmosphere of those times well.

John Grisham’s, The Exchange. This is a follow up to his book The Firm. It catches up with Mitch and Abby when they had to escape the mob when they became informants for the FBI. It was a typical John Grisham, fast paced and page turning. It certainly had a lot of travel involved in rescuing one of his colleagues from his law firm, and a daughter of an old friend and colleague. It involved trips to Libya, Rome, Marrakesh, and London. She had been kidnapped by terrorists when they visited Libya on a business trip. It is set in the years Gadaffi was still alive and in charge.

The Dublin Railway Murder by Thomas Morris

Fascinating account of a true story murder which took place in Victorian-era Dublin, the constraints of not having modern forensic technology to aid police investigations and backwards laws which could ultimately allow justice to be evaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Read Stephen King's new short story collection You Like it Darker and John Connolly's The Instruments of Darkness over the past week or so. A lot of the King stories felt like nods to previous works. Well, and there's an actual "follow up" to Cujo in there. The Connolly was fine, it's typical Charlie Parker, you know exactly what you're going to get.

Currently reading Jamie Collinson's The Rejects, which is a very fascinating and entertaining look at people who've been kicked out of bands over the years. I'm not a *huge * non-fiction reader, but ripping through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Charlo30

Manhunt. About the 12 day hunt for John Wilkes Booth. It's a history book but so we'll written it reads like a thriller. Very enjoyable so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

There's also a TV show based on it that came out recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’m not really reading anything until I get proper reading glasses , but to tide me through I’m after ordering one of The Far Side books . They crack me up 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

….

Advertisement