Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Because it hasn't caused a media storm before?

This is understandable, a government has a heck of a lot of other things to be getting on with. The body with the greatest understanding of the DF regulations is the DF itself. So why didn't the DF ever call for change? Are they happy to have members accused of very serious offences in the civilian courts continue to serve as if nothing has happened, and if so why?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,633 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Throughout the institutions of the state there is a lack of scrutiny and accountability because it is the same in government. Top down problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭Augme

So basically unless it causes a media storm FG and the current government don't care? That doesnt say much for them at all. Too busy getting on with what? Managing and over seeing RTE?

You should ask those questions to the DF or the current government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭pureza

Latest Red C

I'm surprised SF haven't shipped a few more points and dropped below FF, given the negativity since the LE EU's. Harris's bounce isn't amounting to a lot really. Will be fascinating to see how it plays out in an election campaign

• Advertisement

FF up 4 points is the interesting bit here

Given their shy vote that might put them in the low 20's in reality and given a strong 50 to 60% transfer as per the Euros and co co's,we could see an FF and FG government with like minded independents have an 8 or 9 seat majority?

The present government, the past government, and any future government the same. It's the nature of politics.

Too busy getting on with the 'trivial' task of running the country and all that entails.

Nobody is going to put in a manifesto pledge about the minutiae of Defence Forces regulations, now are they? People want to know what will happen to their taxes or the health service or that motorway bypass that was planned 30 years ago.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I saw today that a few papers today gave endorsed Labour in the UK election. Other papers are well known for their support of the tories.

Just wondering, so we have the same here? I know there's a historical perception that the indo was pro-fine gael. But do the papers here come out with an editorial line to say vote for party X?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I certainly don't recall any history of doing endorsements (something I find slightly bizarre in the grand scheme of things to be honest).

Oh same, it's weird. The times have endorsed Labour now, I saw somebody complain about this because it will maintain the allusion that the murdoch press still has a major role to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

They are down 3 points since the last poll.

That is quite a jump.

What are SF to do?

More denial tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Indo endorsed FF in 1997 and it may have actually had some influence.

The Press was FF through and through; it was founded to DeV to be a mouthpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Which, in the longer term, it wasn't very good at.

Short term, they must have skimmed a fortune off it.

"It's payback time" Indo, 1997 (calling for an FF govt and tax cuts) was widely regarded as a factor in the defeat of the FG/Lab/DL rainbow coalition

• Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There's a long tradition of this in the UK. The major newspapers issue a voting recommendation at the end of a general election campaign. It generally doesn't attract much notice unless the recommendation is at variance with the newspaper's customary party allegiance.

It has been done occasionally in Ireland — L1011 and Hotblack point to an example — but it's not usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Bit of a blow to the Soc Dems as they'll likely lose those seats (both 3-seaters) but not unexpected after they stood down as leaders:

I presume they'll run Rory Hearne in Kildare North now

Does this make the merger with labour closer or further away?

Closer I guess since Roisin Shorthall would have been dead set against it.

Can't see it happening anytime soon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭MFPM

It's not a surprise, I'd say they've been planning this for a while. They won't hold Dublin North West. Kildare North is a five seater now, so I'd give them a decent chance there, maybe RH as he works in MU though that's his only Kildare connection I'm aware of.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Unless they're both stepping down because the decision was made behind doors & they're getting ahead of it? Admittedly shades of conspiracy on my part, but have either given a reason 'cos it's passing curious that both remaining co-founders are leaving;

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they're both 70; so both at a ripe age to retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's much less of a thing here these days because of the multi-party coalitions - was probably something that happened a few decades ago when FF and FG were the big two.

They are both 70 and have been involved in politics for a long time. It's no surprise either of them would be standing down at next election and it makes perfect sense then to do it in tandem rather than 1 at a time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Honestly I forgot they even are that old, ironically precisely because they have been around so long. Some times I just forget time passes for everyone not just myself, as inane as that might sound.

They did the extraordinarily difficult job of starting a new party from scratch and have grown it over multiple elections. They then handed it off to someone who appears to be a capable pair of hands. I think they can be satisfied with that as their legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭Augme

After the recent local elections SD joined a left wing alliance with SF, PBP etc while Labour joined the familiar and comforting bussom of FG along with FF and yhe Greens. Despite the parties being quite similar in a lot of ways, they also seem very far apart in other ways. I would be very surprised if a merger happens anytime soon, if ever.

Post edited by Augme on

The big deciding factor for whether a merger will ever become more than something that is discussed by commentators is if there is a chance for Labour and Soc Dems to go into government. As much as I like the Soc Dems, everything about them strikes me that they will avoid government after next election, they'd prefer to remain pure rather than get some of their policies in. Labour on the other hand will take the opportunity to get some policies included in a program for government. They're like the greens, they want to govern as best they can. Some on the left (pbp/solidarity) are permanent opposition.

If Soc Dems go into a government I could see merger talks happening, I could also see a split similar to the greens when they went in but maybe at a higher level (ie tds could walk)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The sum of the parts must be larger than the two as independent entities. Otherwise it would make no sense, even if they are similar. It can be compared to one company (the broad left in this case) owning two brands, of a similar product.

Advertisement