Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Nobody is demanding, MLMD made the statement she wouldnt attend

If MON wants to say she represents all communities in Northern Ireland, then explain how she does that by attending events celebrating the killing of people?

In terms of the statement "young Southern voters" don't give a damn, based on what? a few online trolls seem to be the only one making this declaration. Any person is able to check into history, they can see what happened and not believe the spin pushed out by PSF which some lap up.

You seem to think all young people are stupid and don't care about the past, or have any interest in finding out the truth about the past. I don't have that opinion at all. Like all generations you will have some people who will lap up the noise and others who will find out for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,230 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If MLMD says she won't attend, why would MON think it is ok?

Personal choice.

A harbinger of a UI too. Senior government ministers or a Taoiseach/President from a unionist background wouldn't be expected to attend commemorations of Independence or Unification, not by me anyway.
    It's called accommodating people and allowing them the freedom to remember their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭pureza

Based on polls clo clo

You don t have to be stupid to at a young age give more priority in your choices to being an upstart at the polling booth versus caring about a troubles era you either know nothing about,don't want to know about and certainly haven't lived through or possibly your parents either

Bashing @FrancieBrady here day in day out is all well and good but its not real for most under 40

They look at policy,sound bytes,tik tok and the like

So give us all a break with the annoyingly repetitive troubles bashing stuff

It cuts no mustard

It happened,we are where we are,Sinn Féin are pirrouetting into something more amenable to younger voters

You're going to have to deal with them on a policy level

Daily ribbing of Francie on his Republican beliefs ain't debate

So because the polls read that young people might vote for PSF, you think they don't care about the past? That's a jump isn't it? have any of these polls asked young people if they care about the past?

I don't bash Francie, in fact the only poster on here who constantly makes personal comments is Francie. So you need to withdraw that statement and very quickly

In terms of policies, I think you will find when they are discussed the topic is quickly switched by PSF supporters to something else, this thread and every other is the same. Policies are something PSF supporters don't want to discuss because they are a shambles.

You are making a lot of assumptions based on polls, the last general election was a revolt election and well reported at the time. The local election no matter how PSF paint it was a mess for them.

The younger voters are starting to see through the noise from PSF, will they be so amenable when they realise the plan for PSF and housing will set back Ireland years and instead of getting a house quicker, they will end up longer waiting?

I couldn't care less about Francie, the number of posts on the thread is all noise and it is the same noise been posted on any PSF thread for years. I don't demand people to stop talking about a topic which you seem to think you can do. So best of luck on that, the last person I seen doing that was Francie and I posted the same to them

Boards is full of threads, on all sorts of topic. Don't like the discussion on this one then go onto another one. Demanding what people can and can't discuss on a thread, well that's not your job. Contact the mods with your ideas and see what they say

Strange you also pick me but say nothing to Francie, if you are so upset at the content would you not pick it up with that poster? especially as any decent discussion starts here they jump in with 101 posts of nonsense to shut it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mattser

Another hard weeks work at the keyboard coalface for the few regular teams. The country is thriving with their input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

SF isn't policy driven (bar UI), even their supporters don't worry about policy costs or manifestos and will never discuss those areas.

It's populist politics using soundbites, if your goal is to impact votes, a discussion forum is probably the wrong place.

101 posts of nonsense

This is your go to way to shut down discussion. You get challenged on a view and you pull on the 101 runners and bolt.

Then you get up on the high horse and lecture people for trying to shut down discussion when they are just answering your post.

On your point about the young, you assume again that they will care about the same things you do. A young person informing themselves about the past is just as likely to see it the way somebody from SF sees it, or somebody like me sees it or how a Unionist or dissident sees it. It isn't a given, in other words.
    With homeless figures reaching new records just yesterday I think 'young people' will not be flocking to FF or FG anytime soon. Their vote is all to play for.

P.S. All elections that reject the sitting government are 'revolt' elections.

Yawn,I do read this thread and participate

Its perfectly obvious the threads here have been dragged down the current affairs gutter sniping road

Nothing is being discussed here

Don't like that being called out ? Tough

I replied to your post becsuse,you're part of the whole laugh you're making of this place

I've told @FrancieBrady the same many times

Now any chance we all could go back on topic,discussing why SF might be unlikely to enter government in the Republic of Ireland anytime soon ?

Maybe someone has an answer to this question that has been bugging me.

How come all the 'policy experts' on here have never spotted the flaws in the policies that have caused the housing and health etc crisis's here?

Why would you trust their take on any party's policy?

I've told @FrancieBrady the same many times

Yes, I can verify we have had conversations about it.

• Advertisement

You are demanding what people post on this thread, that's not been called out a chara

If you and Francie want to have your own discussion I am sure you can use PM's.

Any other issues I suggest you contact the mods as I already stated.

Im not ruining the thread while you and Francie have little pops at posters in the hope of a reaction so you can run to the mods to get banned from thread. It's all been done before. Try a new one

Stop sensationalising about ‘demands’. The poster is just making a point.

I'm not demanding anything,that is a job for mods.

I am just calling out the constant gutterniping,tat titting and off topic stuff for which there are other threads

I am not 'a chara' either which is a phrase used as some kind of taunt to Republicans

Taunting competitions arent discussion either

You'd do well to read the forum charter

It's being broken multiple times in this thread including by me for the very simple act of calling it out

This is meant to be a serious discussion forum,it's not after hours or a playground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,059 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Health and Housing are issues in every country in the Western World.

So the government are telling porkies when they say they can fix the issues?
    And none of spotted or called out their pointless policies???

Your post was about policy flaws.

My answer to that is that there are Macro issues going on in housing and health, that make these problems nearly impossible to solve, given that every Western nation has similar issues.

You are not interested in this discussion, but you want to bang on endlessly about the power swap, calling the electorate stupid, and talking about the past and of course MM…

That is SF to a tea to be honest. You are better off having a policy debate with a chimpanzee than a SF supporter.

I asked a question.
    Your answer was these issues exist everywhere.
    That begged the supplementary question about you guys not calling out the policy that the government claimed was going to fix these problems.
    You are trying as usual to have it wvery way.

No, because the point is, that electing SF won't fix the Macro issues at play, because talking policy with a SF supporter is like debating with a Chimp.

Pointless, as you have just proved.

• Advertisement

I didn’t say anything about SF policy.

I asked a very specific question. And by answering it you showed you want it every way.
    When you can’t defend the government it’s ‘the issues are the same everywhere’ excuse.
    Then you will tell us the government policies will fix the issues.

I didn’t say anything about SF policy.

Exactly. You never talk or debate about SF policy.

Odd considering you are their most vocal supporter on this platform.

I’m not and never was trying to sell you SF policy.

Oh right, apart from the thousands of posts bemoaning the FFG, the powerswap and all that jazz, on the SF forum no less.

I guess its the only thing SF supporters have given their lack of policy in key areas.

But didn’t yiu just admit that policy is pointless, there are issues everywhere- that’s why successive government policies haven’t worked. They were just pretending they would.
    I suspect you didn’t work that answer through.

To be fair he didn't say that

Policies aren't cures

Show me a democracy in the world where there aren't housing problems ?

And while we are at it,a country where a change of government has fixed it ?

This is the realisation thats Permeating so many voters and influencing voters now isn't it,crisis fatigue

Heres Germany,our chief banker for a decade after the 2010 crash and the EU's largest Economy and do you know we're being told by opposition parties, little old Ireland can create housing nirvana apparently,its nonsense, fools gold policies

https://www.dw.com/en/german-housing-crisis-finding-a-home-like-winning-the-lottery/a-68840785

• Advertisement

little old Ireland can create housing nirvana 

No opposition party is saying that though. The government says IT can fix the issues, the opposition says it can't and IT can, it has had it's chance and failed, let us have a go at fixing it. etc, normal opposition proceedure.

You and Mark have made comments that begs the question - what is the point of policy at all?
    Are you guys ok'ing government policy/not criticising it properly knowing it won't work because there is a European wide problem?

When you fall back on the 'there is the same problem everywhere' excuse when it suits, it certainly points to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,474 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Why was the government's policy on health raised on the SF thread? We all know the answer, deflection, distraction and whataboutery.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2024/06/29/northern-irelands-healthcare-crisis-does-it-point-to-irish-unification-or-closer-cooperation/

"Cancer care is a notable success story. The number of cancer centres was reduced from 30 to eight, the quality of care has improved greatly, and Ireland now compares well with the better EU countries. The Health Service Executive is trying to develop similar integrated care strategies for other major diseases."

He is talking about the South when he says that. Contrast that with the North, where Sinn Fein hold the purse strings in Finance, and the increases given to health are miniscule. The conclusion is that Sinn Fein would make the health service down here worse. Let us examine how Sinn Fein have failed to deal with the healthcare crisis in the North and worry about what it means down here. The UUP are on the verge of walking out of the Executive because of the SF refusal to fund the health service properly.

Turning back to the subject of the thread and away from the whataboutery and deflection, the opinion poll at the weekend made interesting reading (and possibly explains the increase in deflection on the thread). Sinn Fein, as the local elections saw, are not the most popular party in Ireland any more.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0630/1457435-opinion-poll/

FF and FG together have 40%, with the Greens they have 45%. The current government getting re-elected is now within the margin of error, or even without that, the favourable bounce of a ball on transfers. That means the subject of this thread is even more unachievable. Very very difficult to see a path to government for Sinn Fein.

The main reason for Sinn Fein's collapse in the recent local elections was that the party and its supporters were still repeating the mantras of the 2020 campaign as if nothing has changed.

Sinn Fein have got to get used to the reality that the government IS fixing the housing issue. The current problem is that they are not fixing it quickly enough for everyone. The Sinn Fein mantra of "nothing is being done, we will do something" doesn't work in that context. The people aren't stupid (even if MLMD thinks they are), they look at the government and they see detailed policies solving the problem slowly, and they will begrudgingly accept that, unless someone (SF) comes along and explains (with detailed policies) how they will solve it quicker. In that context, SF will have to bring credibility to their policy (details, more details) and credibility to the people who will carry it out (Eoin "I wrote a book" O'Broin won't wash). They are struggling big-time with that.

So now the government 'can fix' the issues.

Seems @markodaly @pureza think these problems are Europe wide and 'policy isn't a cure for them' or something like that.

BTW the latest polls show that the LE and EU elections are different beasts and that a GE will be a different ballgame.

Depends what you mean by fix

If it means a free house for anyone that wants one but doesn't like the idea of working for it,then the resulting cost would make the government doing that a 1 term wonder

If it means increase supply and manage demand,yes that can be 'fixed' but I'm afraid that definition of fix won't be accepted by opposition parties whose thanless task is to say how bad everything is,even if it isn't

As for a world wide problem it is

A worldwide supply problem of builders and end product

Anyone thinking they can fix that by the former is delusional with a capital D or trying to cod the voter

• Advertisement

If it means a free house for anyone that wants one but doesn't like the idea of working for it,then the resulting cost would make the government doing that a 1 term wonder

Never offered in any policy document I know of, can you back up?
    Everything you say after that is suspect tbh.

I can see now why the policy experts here have never been known to criticise or find the flaws in actually implemented policy.

If Sinn Fein had an actual housing policy that was coherent, we might be able to discuss it. They don't, so we can't.

Did you see the word IF

SF in my locality anyway,dunno about yours are promising everyone a house when out canvassing if asked

If the rest of your reply is an attempt to ignore the lack of builders to cure supply (or nurses to cure bed shortages),you are selling a pup

If like @pureza you believe this

is a part of their policy I can see why you'd think that.

Its certainly a part of the canvass

Everybody knows this

I'm not ignoring anything.

So part of your appraisal of SF's policy is based on unprovable things they are saying on canvasses.

Ok.

Everybody knows this

Oh yeah? Everyone?
    Any back up for that one?

Oh give over

You and I both know houses are promised on the doorstep

We all know this,denying it is just lala land like the promise

You can easily disprove that poster's assertion by producing Sinn Fein's detailed housing policy, explaining how it differs from the government, and why it will work and how it can be afforded.

Until then, I accept his view, as I have also heard the same stories about promises from Sinn Fein canvassers. I hold the cynical view that Sinn Fein policy is deliberately obscure so that canvassers can promise things that MLMD can deny in government.

Sorry, please don't speak for me.

You have said enough at this stage, I have gotten my answer.

• Advertisement

I asked, how come you and others have never spotted the flaws in many government policies to fix the issues in health and housing.
    SF's policy or lack of it, as the case may be, is not the answer to that question.

As regards me and my view of their policy, I cannot say it often enough, I pay scant regard to manifestoes and policies, I judge by actions when in power.
    Clearly the government parties have had long enough, my mind is made up. It's time to let someone else have a go, if they fail or don't do better, try again.

You've defined yourself as a protest voter then

They're a moving violet

I'm certainly not defining myself as a myopic policy analyst anyhow.

I do protest the continued dominance of power here by two parties and how power swapped between them and now is shared by them . In fact my desire is to see that ended by whomsoever is capable of ending it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,258 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm an FG voter, by process of elimination, and I actually concur with the last part of that statement. A libertarian centre right party, further to the right than FG, would be great. But the main part of what you said is "whomsoever is capable". SF are not.

Populations over the years who paid scant regard to policies and manifestos and waited until actions in power ended up with Syriza, Likud and the Nazis as their governments. Never ends well.

If those are your standards, your undying support for Sinn Fein is now clearly understood.

If you want to vote outside of the two main parties, there are a number of great options - Greens, Labour, Social Democrats - you don't have to vote for Sinn Fein.

But the main part of what you said is "whomsoever is capable". SF are not.

Which is a totally legitimate opinion to have.

However, the question I asked has revealed that some posters here are of selective opinions and will not and, indeed, have not applied them across the board. Untrustworthy myopic opinions therefore.

I have said it before here, I would probably vote SD if I had that choice, I don't.
    I have never had the opportunity to vote for Labour in a GE election either, but wouldn't now anyhow. I have voted Green in the past, but not anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,258 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No offence blanch152 but those alternatives are as bad for different reasons as SF are.

This is part of my problem, I really don't have a party that represents me, as a social liberal but fiscal conservative. Libertarian is generally the tag I'd use, but the closest to that are FG and they arent conservative enough on the budget

• Advertisement

Advertisement