Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2024 - this time it’s personal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

What a great first two days and great to see two French cyclists win. Early days yet, and we all know people can have good and bad days. But its shaping up to be a great tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ShadowSA

Quick one, anyway I can watch the tour for free?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ITV4 or TG4 for live, for playback, you'll get highlight reels on YouTube from Eurosport or Lanterne Rouge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Paddigol

That's all well and good (I doubt its the whole forum though) but some of us are just as tired of having to read the same stuff about him every year and also want a whinge about that. It's a bit like the circular economy, which if my maths are correct, means Cav is going to sweep all before him this Tour before riding off into retirement.

Every day of the week. Even leaving aside the jiffy bag stuff.

• Advertisement

I was wondering when someone would bite at that one 😂

Edit: forgot to quote post!

Same. I wonder if that was part of the idea of attacking him so early in the Tour… feel him out to see which strategies work. Wouldn't be surprised to see a slightly different approach with his next dig.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,038 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Hard to get any kind form for sprinters from the first two stages.

Cavendish obviously had some problems in the heat and Jakobson would lose time going over a speed bump but the rest haven't shown their hand for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Debunked according to who? You haven't debunked anything.

Perhaps you can point us to this UCI points list? because I can sure point you to the official World Tour rankings with Froome Top 10 on the list every year 2012-18 whilst Cav appears once in 09. As the World Tour is a collection of the most important/relevant races I don't think any further explanation is required.

https://www.uci.org/discipline/road/6TBjsDD8902tud440iv1Cu?tab=rankings&discipline=ROA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Think it depends if losing the weight has any impact on his performance / power output. That was really the magic formula Sky found back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Anyone else think that Pogacar was annoyed with Vingegaard after the summit yesterday? Pogacar was going 100% but Vingegaard definitely didn't match that effort. His pulls were shorter and with far less power. And it looked like Pogacar was shaking his head a little bit at Vingegaard's tactics. Maybe Vinegaard is being conservative with his energy after the crash, but he really had to work to keep up with Pogacar and Pogacar looked a decent bit better to me yesterday. I wonder if Pogacar was able to gauge anything from Vingegaard yesterday.

It's a good sign for the Tour ahead though.

Generally whoever makes an attack on the other GC guys, eg Pogacar, is expected to do most of the pulling from there on. I've no sympathy for Pogacar. The only one he's interested in beating this tour is Vingegaard as I don't think he has much to fear from anyone else. So he was attacking Vingegaard, it didn't work, and then he was complaining that Vingegaard wasn't helping. Its nice to see Pogacar not getting his own way like he did in the Giro.

Pogacar is in an awkward position now. Does he fight for the yellow jersey this early and put his team on the front for the early stages? There's 22 riders within 21 seconds of him in the GC, any one of which could try get in a breakaway today or attack on stage 4.

Sure, but Vinegaard also had the opportunity to take time on everyone else and wasn't too interested.

I think having the yellow jersey this early is more of a hindrance than a help. I remember years ago when Roglic and Vingegaard were able to isolate Pogacar and constantly attacked him, until he finally broke. There's a lot of pressure having the yellow jersey and I'd say Vingegaard is ok with Pogacar having it now. It looks like Pogacar was hoping to do a Giro on it and blow everyone out of the water early and its backfired, with 22 riders within 21 seconds any of which will attack him to get even a day in yellow. So Vingegaard played it perfectly imo.

Vingo was right to just sit on but Pog is such an instinctive racer I would say he hates Vingo for being a more calculated type of rider. He looks like he can't understand why everyone isn't all in the way he is.

We'll see if the 20/30 seconds that they could have pulled out from Evenepoel will come back to bite him in the future. Maybe Vingegaard is completely dismissive of him, but, to me, it's wrong to not put in a bit of effort for 10km on the flat/downhill. And downgrades him in my mind as a cyclist to cheer for.

Its been exactly the same for the last couple of years though. Pogacar attacks, and Vingegaard follows. Jonas takes the long view, knowing its a marathon not a sprint. Its like he knows Pogacar inside out now, and knows eventually he will run out of steam. Its fascinating to watch. Without Vingegaard you'd have Pogacar winning the tour by a wide margin every year and would be boring.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sorry, pcs points, which is not perfect but it takes into account everything. Sure longevity comes into it, and number of races, but there's a gulf.

It was done last year. Comprehensively on these threads. People, basically said Cavendish hasn't achieved that much which is quite frankly bollox.

Its apples and oranges as people have said, but I don't think its remotely controversial to teyband claim cavendish as the best British cyclist. He's done it in more than one discipline too.

If pidcock won a few more stages and some state races and more one days he's in the conversation too given he's doing 3 different disciplines

Really looking forward to it! Usually the first week is a bit of a bore for me, even the sprint stages seem so telegraphed and formulaic. I love the fact that they've thrown in a couple of testing stages right from the off to shake things up and give the sprint teams a bit more to think about.

• Advertisement

Definitely from a fan point of view it puts me off a rider. I really want Pog to beat a fully fit Vingo this year.

But tactically nothing wrong with it.

Regards the Cav v Froome debate, I'm not a fan of either, but recognize their contributions.

Both actually had similar careers. Their teams did all the donkey work and then let them off to finish the stage and take all the glory. At their best, they made the tour a bit boring and predictable. Eg the Sky train sitting at the front for mountain after mountain. Then if Froome was ever dropped by an attack, he'd work his way back on with his unorthodox style.

On balance you'd have to give it to Cav, longevity, up against some tough opponents, always seemed to be in the right place at the end. There was no-one like a Pogacar or Vingegaard during Froome's prime. From memory his main rival was Quintana.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. I don't see the tactical benefit of not pulling a bit harder for 10 minutes to gain time on the 3rd favourite for the Tour.

It's down to how you rate the 3rd favourite I suppose.

I don't think Remco will be in the picture once the mountains come into play.

Probably felt the gamble this early in the Tour wasn't worth it. You'd often see gaps in the GC after week one due to crashes, splits in flat printer stage cross winds, time trials, and the main GC guys don't panic seeing it as loads of time to get time back. I think Pog was just testing JV rather than trying to get time on the rest/ yellow… if it worked out, sure he'd probably have pressed on and accepted yellow. But it was really just to test JV early doors and see how he reacted rather than let him hide in the peloton and get up to fitness if it was lacking.

Nothing gained/ nothing lost is how he'll see it I'd say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Maybe learned from the past when he kept trying to gain a few seconds here and there early on and ended up buried by week 3

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If you are considering all forms of cycling then Bradley Wiggins is the best. Multiple Olympic and world championship wins on the track. On the road he was Olympic TT champion and a Tour de France winner.

I was talking about Vingegaard not putting in the effort. Pogacar definitely was going max out trying to gain time on Evenepoel yesterday.

If there were lessons to be learned from previous Tours, where Pogacar made efforts to gain 10/20 seconds here and there, I don't think that Pogacar has learned them. He will have the same tactics in this Tour. And to be honest, I don't mind those tactics.

Maybe it's poor tactics if you aren't 100% fit, and you should worry about the third week. But Pogacar backs his fitness and his powers of recovery and was probably over confident in the last 2 years, when he had more reasons than this year to pull back on the throttle a bit. Especially last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

230K stage, no break, and the intermediate sprint has now passed. Think I'll tune out for a few hours!

• Advertisement

Dont forget there is a fight for Yellow today if someone overhauls Pog on the countbacks 🤣

Advertisement