Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭shockframe

Galway Dublin was a decent game throughout.

And there was some fine passages of play in the 2nd half of Roscommon-Armagh and the entire game of Donegal-Louth

It wouldnt be so bad giving out about Football were it not for the blatant hypocrisy some have in completely ignoring underwhelming games in other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

That would be taking the thread off on another tangent not in keeping with the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Roscommon v Armagh was dreadful one worst games ever at Croker. Donegal v louth was bang average at best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭threeball

Roscommon Armagh was one of the worst ever until Kerry Derry 24hrs later. That's the worst game I've seen in my life. Kerry probably more responsible than Derry because Derry don't have the calibre of forwards that Kerry have, so keeping it tight suits them but Kerry should be ashamed of being involved in the worst game in history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Treble double

Derry play a very defensive game where they want to suck opponents in, turn them over and hit them fast on the counter. Obviously Kerry didn't want to play into their hands and were cagey measured and ponderous in possession for 60 minutes and then pushed for home with their extra quality without much fuss. Didn't make for a great spectacle but the aim of the game is to win. Some want a welter of excitement every day but the tactical side can be appreciated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Dont Be at It

Bit of an aside.. But I think Croker is becoming a real problem now as well. It's just too big. It gets filled for one day in the year (2 if dubs play kerry in a semi). We've seen in the round robin, that games are a much better spectacle in packed out regional grounds.

Nothing drains the soul like watching a game in a half empty Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You have to remember that managers , and likely most players too, couldn't care whether they entertain us or not.

They are playing to win Sam, no medals for attacking football and going out in the quarters.

They might start to care if people are not watching these games.

It’s clear GAA management need to tackle this issue.

Time is beginning to run out….. We need Jim Gavins report soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i have said it before and will say it again , the report wont improve anything because teams can still hand pass the ball fifty times in a row or kick the ball back to the goal keeper from the halfway line ,

in under age football in clare up to u17 level the rule is one hop one solo and no more then one consecutive hand pass , if these rules were introduced at senior level it would solve a lot of problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

You won’t solve that by just limiting the hand pass, teams will just play short lateral kicks to one another.

The rules proposed by Gavin’s committee should incentivise fast forward play as well as taking on scores that aren’t in the “scoring zone”.

It’s badly needed. I think it’s coming to the stage where I don’t enjoy watching football anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I haven't read about any of the ideas to improve the game, but watching couple of the games yesterday, I thought that there were times when players were within kicking range but decided against it, probably because their management team has told them only to kick easier points?

What if there was a 1pt zone, and a 2pt zone for slightly further out and to the sides? Make it more advantageous to try to attempt harder points?

First half yes but the second half was far better.

Donegal Louth bang average? Ah here. Nip and tuck for 60 minutes and some of the best scores of the year.

PERSONALLY I would leave it to the experts on the panel to devise playing rules which would hopefully improve the watchability and enjoyment of Gaelic football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Field east

was listening to the Dönegal Louth match yesterday and commentary . The match was QUIET boring to watch BUT the commentary/commentator was even worse. He/ theydid ABSOLUTLY nothing to make it somewhat interesting . Eg Two instances:-

(1) The two Louth corner backs got a yellow card each at the exact same time. That came out of the blue as per what was shown on the TV. The two ‘boys’ in the commentary box completely ignored it and did not even speculate as to what it might have been all about. They both showed a complete disinterest .

(2) There were the usual number of free given but there was on particular free given that what appeared to be a COMPLETE NON - INFRIGEMENT. The two ‘Boys’ had an opportunity to say what the free was given for but said nothing.

The above two instances would make the commentary more interesting and also help in explaining the rules of the sport, how it is played, etc. Roy Keane, please come back. The whole commentary was one big long drool

Just cause was nip and tuck does not make for great game. Standard is well below par.

The standards compared to 10-20 years ago have fallen off a cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭pgj2015

it definitely has, the amount of balls that are dropping into the goalkeepers hands is really high, a lot of players these days cant kick from any kind of distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Pointless having 16 teams in group stages, the gap is simply too great between the lower and upper ranked teams. The attendances look desperate. Football is poor these days

• Registered Users Posts: 36,295 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The idea that players are inferior now to what they were 20 years ago is a nonsense imo. The players are better in every way, but the fact they are so much more advanced in terms of physical capacity and tactics means that the ability to express skill is hugely compromised. Players might have looked like they could 'kick better from distance' 20 years ago when they had more space and less defensive responsibility in a game context where possession and scores were not as highly prized, and therefore each kick was less pressurised.

Whatever problems the game has currently, it isn't because the players are less skilled on average than their peers of yesteryear.

• Advertisement

I think the standard of point taking has dropped off in the past 15 years, big time.

Introduce 2 points for kicks beyond 40 or 45 metres. Should encourage a lot more shooting from distance and draw defences out the field a bit, giving some more space in behind.

The best solution imo is to limit the amount of players who can be in a half at any one time. You have to leave 3 players minimum in a half at any one time. This isn't ideal of course, but nothing is.

Ultimately the issue is everyone wants to win, everyone is fitter and more organised, and certain coaches broke the seal ~20 years ago on how packing defenses and valuing possession could lead to championships. Suggested rule changes need to attack the core tactical change, rather than the increased technical skill and ability of the modern player to reliably retain possession.

Because defence is way better and attackers have much less time and space to attempt scores than they had in the early 2000's. If you transported last year's Dublin / Kerry team back to 2003 they would win the Championship at a canter in style, walloping points and goals in from all angles.

Players today bricking it when 15 metres in front of goal and handpassing it backwards.

Armagh of 2002,Kerry in 00s Tyrone in 00s, Dublin 6 in a row and Galway in 2001 would all beat these teams hands down.

The team I feel most sorry for is Mayo cause their team from 6-8 years ago would win a few AIs now.

Just cause they are "physically" in better shape does not make them better players.

I get what you're saying about defences being much tighter and I agree. But even aside from that I think the standard has gone back.

I know it's subjective and you also have players widely discouraged from shooting from distance /wide angles so hard to say definitively. But I think there were a lot more natural point scorers playing 15 years ago.

Yeah look, fair enough. I think the players can most certainly do it better, but 1) they are discouraged from attempting the type of scores that were routinely attempted in the 90's; 2) in the 90's it was far more 1 v 1 in space situations 30m from goal

We don't see as much scoring from distance and its natural for the mind to take hop, skip and a jump to 'the players are worse than they used to be'. But we can agree to disagree on that, obviously.

There were a number of scores from well out the field in Donegal Louth but let's not get in the way of the ranting eh!

I'm arguing the players are well capable of kicking long scores if they get the opportunity sir.

Post edited by shockframe on

• Advertisement

It's not even subjective it's pretty much what even older generations are saying

Advertisement