Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options
1100310041005100610071009»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,215 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm ambivalent on Loughman missing out. The writing was on the wall for him when he wasn't included in the original 42 man training squad for the RWC.

There's a good case that he's unfortunate to miss out but I don't think for a moment really that he's a big miss for Ireland. We've some very promising young looseheads and they're also using the third spot to develop TOT as a loosehead cover option which, if it works, has far more potential than Loughman for me.

Lets be honest, Loughman will never be in an Irish 23 barring a couple of injuries. I'd much rather see us try to develop those who could be one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I agree with both of your posts. I was merely "throwing a bone" so to speak.

In the cases of players succeeding at other provinces, decisions had to be made.

Tadgh Beirne didn't show as much as Ross Molony did in the academy (15/16 - Beirne 4 caps, Molony 21 caps). Full credit to Scarlets coaching staff for identifying him and developing him into the player he became (and credit to Tadgh for it too of course) but at the time it was the correct decision.

Soroka had 2 years at u20s age grade and was a standout in both years. He was near enough to Kendellen as a totemic forward for that squad. Fitness has been his crutch since but yes if it was a straight shoot out between the 2 I think the smart money was on Alex at the time.

Izzy is one of the bigger cases of the road less travelled indeed. And a great story for him. Again I'm throwing a bone here.

It's very possible Leinster missed big on Berman. It would be incredible if he makes it. But the point I was making to Totally Reductive C.. (to the power of 10..) was that missing him is not typical of Leinster

Mod: Attack the post, not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'd be inclined to agree also. Loughmans ceiling appears to be on par with Ed Byrne.

They both got their international debuts at around the same age when Farrell gave them a look in and decided what he saw was enough.

Advertisement