Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Sorry about that guys :@

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Galway are a superior team to Mayo at this point in time, they have forwards who can score and score from distance. They took some savage scores from distance yesterday when we need to run the ball right into the D before we decide to shoot. Galway got a bit of luck as well but they force the play on Dublin. This was a bit like us in 16/17 but they got over the line. We would never have beaten Dublin in CP if that was us yesterday. We just don't have the quality of players and our managment team are average. There are loads of what ifs/bs with Mayo just like your post.

I don't really care about who wins it now since we are gone but fair play to them if they go on and do what we can't do for 70 odd years. I will congratulate them if they do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Avon8

God yer a strange bunch. Brickenden literally threw the ball off the goalline in the second half for a clear penalty not given, if even the ball wasn't over the line prior (looked like it was). Yet months later there's still endless chatter about a 50/50 decision that ultimately mattered damn all in the all Ireland race

On a scale of one to a million, how much did HBC08 seeth with Galway dumping out the dubs yesterday? Blew his absolute top I'd say with supreme confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Westernview

I'm the same. Never thought I'd say it but I'd be happy enough to see Galway win it now. We've had more than enough opportunities so maybe it's up to them to bring Sam over the Shannon. Would be better for Connacht football than it going elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Controversial. I said the same couple of years ago when Galway were playing Kerry in the All-Ireland. Didn't go down too well here.

• Advertisement

If Galway win it and they have a good chance, it is the kick up you know where to up our game. I think questions will be asked and more focus put on what is required going into 25. I think this happened with Galway in 98, Maughan changed Mayo in 96/97 and we did go close in 96 but I do think this was the making of Galway for 98 as they had to up their game to land Connaught. The same happened with the northern teams in the early 90s. This is the only positive thing I can say for users who will find it hard to see Galway win it and look over the fence alot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭BandMember

For anyone thinking of "supporting" Galway from here in on, ye might have been too young or may not remember the trip to Tuam in 1999 and the welcome they had for Mayo supporters from as soon as we crossed the border all the way into Tuam. If that was bad enough then, can you imagine what it would be like in 2025 given all the subsequent chances we've had since??? No thanks! It'd be like England winning the Euros or the World Cup - you'd never hear the end of it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭HBC08

I was shouting for Galway,same as most of the people around me in the pub.

You're going to have to start charging me rent for living in your head.

Absolutely bizarre stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭crusd

So this "poor" Galway team didn't beat Mayo in the Connacht Final. Galway beat Mayo by a point, Mayo and Dublin Draw, Galway beat Dublin by a point. One of the few examples of a form line playing true.

Man for man, objectively this Galway team is slightly better than this Mayo team. We have the habit of believing we are always better than Galway, when at the moment that's not the case. They are closer to the end of a cycle though with Comer, Conway, Walsh near the end and even Kelly destroyed with injuries, so it will swing around again, like it always has.

Also, Cillian looked genuinely happy for Joyce when he congratulated him at the end. At the start he expressed the opinion that Galway could get at Dublin and at the end he was proven right. The Galway and Mayo lads hate each other on the pitch but there is genuine good will between them off the pitch. You could see also that Joyce respected Cillian's question at the end and even referenced Mayo giving them the template to go after Dublin.

Gough was shocking, but if Mayo sneaked that win it would have been down to Galway's missed chances as they were the better team on the day

• Advertisement

Yes the proper way to have a rivalry is for Galway and Mayo to dislike each other on the field but have a mutual respect off it - similar to the way it was with Dublin v Meath. I would imagine Dublin v Kerry is similar. The rivalry we have with Roscommon is a bit silly - they can't stand us because we usually beat them and we like to beat them just to shut them up for another year. I don't think there's a lot of mutual respect off the field.

Galway are near the end of the cycle yes - so they probably need to win it this year if this team are going to do it. Also Joyce will hardly hang around much longer if they don't do it - if not now then when? should be their motto.

There is a strange thing where some Galway fans some to think we obsess about them when in reality most Mayo supporters I know have a bit of a soft spot for Galway when we are out of the championship. I know its a bit different in border areas, but for most of the rest of the county its a friendly rivalry. The only thing that made me pause at all when hoping for a Galway win last Saturday was the element of Galway fans who make any Galway win about Mayo and not themselves and let you know about it. At the end of the day I just say "well done, now why do ye care more about what ye're win means for us than for ye"

Roscommon on the other hand - delighted to see them beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

its generally the undesirables in both camps that lead that narrative. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Blackjack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If Galway win it and they have a good chance, it is the kick up you know where to up our game. I think questions will be asked and more focus put on what is required going into 25.

I'd love to agree with you but I can't.

Simply because how many more kicks up the you know where do Mayo teams need?

They have lost 11 All Ireland finals in 35 years.

In that time they have seen Galway win two, Donegal win their first two, Tyrone go from zero to overtake them with 4, Armagh and Derry to win their first.

How much more do Mayo teams need to motivate them ?

For years I've been hearing when Mayo go deep in the championship and they look like they could win that "this team is different", but they never are, they are always the same.

Can we not just agree that we all hate the Rossies and leave it at that? 😁😂

Well in 99 we went into Tuam and turned them over when Tuam was always a difficult place to get a win. I think it would at least apply pressure on McStay and this would not be a bad thing. He can't go with the same crack again otherwise it will be worse next year. There has been a clear improvement defensively but we have issues in midfield and with scoring forwards. McStay attacking tactics are also an issue.

At the end of the day the stats you lay out is pretty damning and we have only ourselves to blame.

Agreed. McStay should be under serious pressure to get another year after the way things have gone from bad to worse under him, but I think we all know that it won't happen as he's too cosy with too many people. Can't see any change for next year, which is depressing…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

• Advertisement

This in a nutshell is precisely why Mayo will never win an All Ireland.

Sad, twisted mentality among so many in your county.

Lots of great people too of course, but drowned out by the empty vessels like this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Id say he was joking.

We have won all Ireland's by the way and I don't think the fans and some mild joking are the reason we haven't won one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

And a fat lot of good it did them when they went and lost to Cork a few weeks later.

McStay should already be under pressure, he himself should know that they have to address the forwards, the tactics etc.

And he himself should know that next year could be wide open and an opportunity exists.

yes totally but it worked in the 90s in the north and I think it worked for Galway in 98. Does McStay recognise that he has issues? I am not sure that he does and will play the card that we didn't kill the games and lets go again. I would turn it this way that we played to our max potential to get to that situation and there was nothing remaining. We simply don't have players who can compete at a consistent level to realistically challenge for SAM. I also think certain players have regressed under McStay and Carney, flynn come to mind, but the forward tactics have killed the confidence in certain players. McStay deserved a shot but he is now not the man for the job…he is not ruthless enough and seems a nice guy. The problem is I don't know who is or who would want it!!

I'd agree McStay seems to lack ruthlessness despite his army background. But we have seen twice previously in Mayo football how player power gets rid of managers who show an extra edge to their style. Whoever was appointed would have to be backed by the county board against that happening again - especially if it was an outside appointment. We had a detailed lengthy process to arrive at McStay so not sure how that can be improved on. I'd rather see McStay continue with some changes to the backroom for another year at least.

Speaking of the county board I find it noticeable how quiet they have been in recent times. Maybe that's a sign of things running smoothly but I would have thought there would be more communication from the PRO/Secretary/Chairman on matters off field. Apart from annual conventions it's very difficult to gauge how things are progressing regarding the centre of excellence, underage coaching, commercial fundraising etc.

Wow. That says a lot more about you than it does about me…. As irishgeo rightly pointed out, I was joking. Partially. The Rossies that I have encountered at a lot of games down the years have left a bad taste after some of the comments I've heard from them, especially in front of children. Ignorance doesn't begin to describe it. Every county has their moron supporters (including Mayo) but the Rossies seem to have a higher proportion when Mayo are involved. Probably just fed up with constantly getting beaten down the years…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

Motivation isn't the problem. Mayo are probably the most motivated team out there. There's something seriously lacking in Mayo club football that produces very few genuinely good forwards. I struggle to think of a team where you had more than one very good forward and a decent enough one at the same time. The few games I saw of the club championship last year on TV were absolutely pathetic from an attacking standpoint and it has been borne out for many years with very few Mayo teams going on to win a Connaught title.

There needs to be a root and branch review of coaching as far as I can see looking in from the outside. Maybe its happened already as the minor team this year looked a fairly stylish bunch. Hopefully they aren't too reliant on young Kobe and there's others stepping up to the plate.

McStay will not accept any blame or criticism and will deflect it to the players. Flynn (although I know he was injured and never seemed to recover properly) has definitely regressed at a rate of knots while Carney has been the new "Loftus" in that they are constantly chopping and changing his position every game. As a result, his confidence has been eroded as he doesn't seem to know where he's supposed to be playing and he can't get a good run going in a settled spot. That after playing every game (pretty much) of the league at midfield and you would have said that he was out number 1 midfielder after it as he played well there. On your last point, there's no way that McStay deserved a shot a job - what he can done to show that he had??? The fix was in from the start on this one. It should never have happened, time for him to go now.

"player power gets rid of managers who show an extra edge to their style" - I assume you mean get rid of managers who are completely incompetent and out of their depth? Unless you think that pushing cars around a carpark, catching imaginary footballs and leaving your tactics for the opposition (amongst a host of offences by a management who weren't fit for a club team) are acceptable? In both cases, the players were 100% correct in their actions. Accepting less than the best is one of the reasons why we haven't won Sam in over 70 years. Other counties wouldn't tolerate that, why should we?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

McStay won a club all-ireland and brought connacht championship to Roscommon. Like him or not, he was the most qualified candidate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭gigantic09

You're right about state of club football, championship was piss poor last couple years, particularly last year. badly need a good senior championship this summer, hopefully throwing up a new forward or two.

Advertisement