Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCI Gran fondo Sligo

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I live just off the route, and run a veterinary practice on the route, and communication by the organisers was nonexistent.

Only for the fact I follow this forum as a leisure cyclist, I wouldn’t have realised that the road in front of the practice was due to be closed today as there was no publicity about road closures at all until a couple of days ago. I enquired from the County Council what arrangements were in place so that our in patients could be looked after and what would happen if we needed to treat emergencies. In fairness the Council responded within 30 minutes cc’ing in the GF organisers asking them to liaise directly with us. Nothing. Radio silence.

Ultimately we relied on the common sense of the Gardai at the junction to access the building, which worked out ok, but the lack of communication from the organisers was ridiculous.

I’ve heard the same thing again and again over the last two days. Residents and business owners left completely out of the loop. Part of the reason for the route change was a large horse show with hundreds of entries which was completely ignored only that one of its organisers was made aware that it was on the route that the road was due to be closed and pointed out that it was impossible to rearrange with a few days notice.

I’m glad it went well for the participants, but the sense I get from locals is there’s no great hurry to see a similar event back unless communication from the organisation is orders of magnitude better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

The council would have been consulted for the road closures and I thought they'd be then in charge of communication to local businesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

No - it is up to the applicant rather than the council.

"The applicant is advised to notify all residences, businesses, local clergy etc located
    in the affected areas. This notice should include the purpose of the Temporary Road
    Closure, dates of the closure, contact details of the applicant’s liaison person, the
    procedure to be followed by householders in the event of an emergency and a map
    detailing the section of road to be closed along with the diversion route."

In @dakar 's case, there is supposed to be a full traffic management plan agreed with the emergency services from very early in in the proceedings but again the organiser is in charge of the comms on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

“sometimes it’s better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Paddigol

True. But that adage doesn't work well when you're looking to come back again. Amateur sporting events like this really rely on public buy-in and support. Cycling probably finds it harder than most these days due to it being lobbed into the middle of the ridiculous "culture wars" populist debate.

Also need to be mindful that after they've packed up and gone home, local clubs may also be looking for public/ council/ Garda support to put on sportives in the area. The last thing they need is more fuel added to the "bloody cyclists" fire.

• Advertisement

true. But a few people moaning online does not indicate an overwhelmingly negative event. I suspect the vast majority of participants are going home happy with positive memories and experiences. Maybe ask the hotels and restaurants in Sligo how they got on this weekend? Was business good? We couldn’t get a table in a restaurant on Saturday night as they were all booked out!

What exactly do Sligo residents want? If this event was held in Galway they’d probably be moaning that Sligo was ignored and should have been considered! In short some people are never happy and just want to moan /give out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Sounds a bit like

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/etape-hibernia-organiser-withdraws-from-event-44579

which was probably the last event of this type in the country. I did both editions in 2010 and 2011. Article above has some of the story. There was resistance to the closed roads and the solution in 2011 was to start cyclists really early (well before 7 if I remember correctly) which makes it less attractive and won't bump your numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Oh I don't deny that at all. I was more speaking to the risk in ploughing ahead on the basis that you can apologise after the event (a) if you're planning on coming back next year to run it again and (b) to other less commercial event organisers looking to run sportives (eg club fundraisers etc.). The public won't necessarily differentiate between a big commercial event and a small local event - a lot of them will just see "cyclists" and "road restrictions" etc.

It shouldn't be an either/ or - it should be possible to run an event like this with all the economic benefits to a locality and also to communicate properly with local residents and businesses. Not every affected business is in the hospitality sector.

Unfortunately the default for a lot of people/ media when it comes to cycling is to run it down. Only this morning I was listening to a piece on Newstalk and you had Louis Copeland talking absolute garbage trying to drag the "cycling lobby" into a decision made by Dublin City Council to restrict traffic on the quays… it had absolutely nothing to do with cycling/ cyclists, but that's the perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Clear communication from the event organisers on what the actual road closures are\were, being told the road is being closed for most of the day to then be open a few hours later, or main streets on villages(ballisodare) being said to be closed cutting access off to most of west Sligo, only when you actually called one of the mobile numbers were you told a stop-go system would be in place. People on the route only getting leaflets up to the Thursday before the event that they would be affected is a bit short notice, no?. Surely simple things like telling people stop-go systems would be in place on certain parts or that the roads would re-open earlier would be a basic thing? The first page and half of this thread was about how poor the communication was.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That's quite normal for road closures, with roads official closing being far in excess of what is required. This is par for the course on road closures around the country. It would be rare they would eve still be closed close to the end of the time allowed by the road closure order. Bar emailing local radio to advise them, or face book posts to community groups, not much you can actually do about this.

• Advertisement

so locals were notified on Thursday? How much notice do you need? If they were notified three weeks in advance they’d be on here moaning that they were notified to far in advance and should have been “reminded” closer to the actual date!

Like I said…some people just like a good moan and are never happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The likes of Sligo doesn't get the visitor numbers that eg Kerry or Cork gets so they should be doing all they can to run a good event for visitors and locals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

You're kidding! The Sligo community games Finals were on in ATU yesterday so we warned all parents from West Sligo that Ballisodare would be impassable and they all went a very long way round. I went to Lough Key for an event yesterday and found an alternative route via Tubercurry because the information was that any through road in Ballisodare would be closed all day. Could have saved diesel money going the normal way!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Doesn't matter if participants are happy imo..if enough local people have been put out because of poor planning and organisation it's not going to be a runner again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭seanin4711

for the first (and last time ) ever in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PinkSnacks

Have you done anything but complain in this thread? Did you actually do the event or just complain about it here :V

The radio interview above mentioned they've secured rights to host the event for three years and lessons should be taken into next years event. Even the points raised were absolutely fair enough imo, he even mentioned the route change wasn't great for cyclists and the fact there wasn't hot food at the end.

Overall the event was good. I've never raced a fondo before and I quite enjoyed it.

Chaos at the start but I made a huge effort to get as far to the front as possible, it was fast from the gun. Settled into a group and there was some good racing and not too many sketchy riders. Managed to hang on to a group until about 100k, on second lap I pulled off to refill bottles and piss. I was more than happy I was able to hang on to a fast group until that point and didn't fancy jostling in the bunch for a downhill finish. Lessons learned for myself in terms of nutrition, bring more than just mix.

I hope they do a discount for returners next year, felt **** that I had to fork over full price for a ticket while lots had discounted ones buying the week before.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Michelin

I had my reservations prior to the event, but I will say the organisation pulled it off. The event on the day was very well run. There was full road closure, I never came across a single vehicle on the route. Locals even came out and cheered. The finish for me was fine. there was no shortage of toilets, there was a medal and maybe not hot food but there was fresh sambos, wraps and water which was grand. The organisers certainly know how to run an event. Obviously lessons to learn in the lead up. But I certainly hope it with will return next year. Thumbs up from me.

observations is what i am pointing out as an end user.

to say anything positive about event organizers in the lead up to the event is a falsehood.

maybe you have rose tinted glasses, and judging by the Facebook comments i am not in isolation about the lack of communication to riders and locals from event organizers.

"Complain" when warranted and by jaysis it was warranted here.

did both days actually. FYI

Event when it did get going was good tbh.

writing was on the wall when you have over 35% of sign ups not showing for TT and some big names in there.

BTW any TTers get their transponder deposit back?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BobLeeSwagger

Has anyone got their deposits or refunds back yet?

• Advertisement

actually got a email stating they are working on it!

expect the refund pace to be akin to ryanair.

gave them a gentle nudge today on it again!

that's the governments line!

Apologies in advance if this comes across as complaining but almost a month after the event no sign of TT transponder deposit of 50euro.

I have emailed hello@titanexperience.com and hello@granfondoireland.com about a status update and echo chamber response as usual.

They really really need to up their game on communication to participants and the wider community if they want this to be a success next year(if they are allowed by Sligo CC).

Post edited by seanin4711 on

Advertisement