Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Be great for the scheme! All those unclaimed "deposits"sitting in an account somewhere earning interest for the operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Or more dumping when people cancel recycling collections

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭jj880

We can do feck all right. Correction: we can fairly do quangos to a high standard. World champion gombeens.

Higher bin charges confirmed on top of higher base product prices before deposit added all under the pretense of saving the planet. The French public must have some laugh at what we put up with here.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Floppybits

What will happen with these prices rises is that people will just throw everything into the general waste bin. I noticed in my house more recyclable rubbish going in the general bin because we are now separating cans and bottles from the other waste. You need to have your own recycling centre in your house to sort through general, food, recyclable and plastic/cans rubbish. Before this it was easy to just throw all the cans, plastic and packaging in the green bin now with this rises not a chance.

The one thing that annoys me about this return scheme is the fact that you are tied to the shop were you bring the cans and bottles back too. For me it when you get the voucher from the machine it should be possible to use in any shop why have it tied to that retailer? Was this something the retailers wanted in the agreement for housing the machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭BobMc

just cash it out in the retailer you did the return in , we get out money back use it where you choose then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Genghis

That Irish Independent article leads with the waste management business threatening rate increases to householders.

But I think increasing your bill by a few Euros a month is not their goal. Read that article closely and right to the end - What they really want is to be able to reclaim the deposit on items through their waste stream.

The waste management business know just as well as Re-turn do that a significant proportion, I would say 25-30% of items sold with deposit, make their way into household, workplace, event and other collected recycle bins. Volumes like that will amount to something like 9-10m items a week, worth €2m in deposit value (€100m p.a.). Far more than the €15m a year they say they will lose in the article.

That €100m in potentially tax free income is the prize here - they want to be allowed reclaim these deposits. I actually see that as a very acceptable, very fair request from them and I have previously asked on here why Re-turn are not enabling collectors from the start.

Re-turn usually don't care who returns an item (pick it from a bin if you want), as long as they can verify its an item that is part of their scheme. The one big exception to this is when the entity trying to return an item is a collection business. It seems if you are a waste collector they don't want to know you.

Ignoring waste collectors lowers re-turns collection stats (although they are being allowed hide that for the first 12-18 months), it needlessly increases landfill, needlessly increases incineration and we continue to export of in-scope and separated items to far flung mixed recycling facilities while we dream of building a local plant.

For whatever reason, Re-turn just don't want to make it happen. I suspect they probably prefer the mountain-of-unclaimed-cash problem they currently have than bothering their ass to figure out how to work with waste collectors.

And sure - if they don't bother their ass, be that no skin off their nose: its consumers - or rather the consumers who are responsible enough to pay for recycling - who will, after all, make up the difference in their recycling fees at home.

The problem with throwing everything in the black bin is an extra charge as there is now another government levy on bins going over a certain weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I was about to post this. It was inevitable. Our government trying to have our pockets thoroughly cleansed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,871 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Finally we are getting some information about this issue.

I have posted here many times saying that we need clarity on how much the bin companies are really losing.

Now it seems it's in or about €15 m pa.

They say they have been earning it to date and now they want to be paid for not earning it.

Apparently they want a cheque in the post or else.

That's the sort of thing that happens when bin services are privatised.

Hopefully it will be sorted between the companies, Re-pak and the Department.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nope, privatisation is a total red herring.

Kerbside collection was far more efficient, and the collection agents (whether private or public) were funding that through the values of the recyclables.

Instead the recyclables are now funding collections of just those items, from a limited number of retailers.

The kerbside collections still have to happen for all the other waste. So there's a funding shortfall that has to be made up, whether that's higher taxes for those run publicly, or higher charges for consumers in a private system.

This is down to Re-turn and Re-turn only. This is the sort of thing that happens when you create a completely inefficient quasi quango, jobs for the boys, that has to be funded.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

I don't think they are looking for a cheque. They want to be able to get the deposit back on items they collect. Thats where the money is.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭geographica

It's interesting to observe that retailers are making much more per unit with 2.2c than recycling collectors make through recycle value.

With the material walking in the door to them, no collection and very limited manual handling, sorting and processing too. Not to mention relative to waste operators a very small capital investment, low operating costs, and an underwriting of 50% capital by the government if the volumes don't come.

Government back over backwards here with the scheme to retailers, so many sops, huge exemption versus other EU countries, the deposit having to be spent or reclaimed in that store…

And the retailers aren't even bothering to keep the machines running.

Meanwhile the waste collection companies still have to collect the waste, still have to go along every street, for general waste, compost waste and the remaining recyclables… and the government washes their hands of it.

I don't think it is a red herring, rather than it's at the heart of this issue.

If our bins were included in LPT it wouldn't arise at all. There would be no threat of increased direct charges.

We can't keep going back to the same argument about kerbside vs. DRS unless kerbside can deliver the 2030 target.

Of course this arises because of DRS but that's the way we have chosen to reach the target.

I suppose they just want money at the end of the day.

I'm not sure that collecting the deposit will be a good long term plan if DRS reaches it's target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I was at a music festival yesterday. Probably about 2500-3000 people there. The bar was only selling cans. They all had the return stamp on them. The bins were not separated out into waste or recycling so there were literall thousands of cans getting thrown in with all the rubbish.

The customer side problems of the scheme still exist which prevent / strongly discourage reclaiming deposits.

The refuse companies may reclaim some lost revenue and perhaps dont raise the cost of green bins but the customer still loses the deposit. We're still funding the shortfall that has now appeared for the bin companies.

Not as bad as bin costs going up but if this is a "win" here Im at a loss with this scheme. Just looks like greasing the palms of the bin companies with our deposits to keep them happy also. Another stakeholder at the deposit trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭howiya

Waste companies being able to return items and reclaim the deposit would actually help reach the target and possibly exceed the 90%. It doesn't matter who manages to claim back the deposit for the scheme to reach its goal.

Except it does matter to Re-turn because they're financed by unclaimed deposits and that's why they're not keen on looping in the waste companies

It is a total red herring.

If our bins were included in LPT, and €15 million euros worth of income was taken out of the kerbside refuse collection, how exactly would that shortfall be made up? Increase in LPT? More taxes? Well?

It has nothing to do with privatisation. It is robbing Peter (kerbside refuse collectors) to pay Paul (Re-turn) to the tune of €15 million. It doesn't matter whether those kerbside collectors are private or public. It is a chunk of money that had been funding kerbside collection is gone, and is now funding an operation that has a totally different scope.

The point is that we have had utterly disingenuous attempts on this thread to misrepresent the situation, pretending that Re-turn would have no impact on kerbside operating costs. That has now been shown to be a complete falsehood.

• Advertisement

Just like all the other bigger festivals. It's a load of bs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Gubbermint will be telling up they couldn’t predict unintended consequences, wasn’t in scope of their planning, and well worth it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

LiveLine today on the topic of an alleged waste company employee who was seen feeding a RVM machine with a big pile of bottles and cans……..

Meanwhile Indo is reporting predictably that the bin charges will likely rise as we all predicted, since they've lost the value of these recylables.

Whoever thought of and implemented this scheme should be put in the public stocks at the very least. In the barbaric old days, they'd have gotten the cat & nine tails.

I am completely against this scheme, but accept that it exists.

I'm coming at this from a point of principle: Re-turn should not be allowed to ignore parties with large volumes of deposited items. It's not Re-turns money to withhold from the waste companies. They are enabling bulk items collected in the name charities for the feel good vibes / positive PR / corporate virtue broadcast, but they are choosing to ignore waste operators.

Sure. That principle should apply to all parties who want to return large volumes. Bulk returning should be available to the public also at enough sites countrywide. Local bottle banks have been suggested. Letting a certain group in the gate for bulk special treatment is still palm greasing in my book unless everyone gets a fair chance. Wouldn't suit the foot fall promises made by Re-Turn to retailers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Like everything with the Green Party, we always just end up paying more money in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,140 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If people really cared, they'd bring their cans home and hoover up any other cans but Irish people hate appearing "mean" in front of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭De Bhál

no way the staff are throwing away free money into the bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭bog master

How could the following be spent to improve our recycling rate?

€27.5 million funding from Bank of Ireland to ReTurn

€15.0 million waste collectors claim they are losing due to ReTurn

5 million can/bottle deposits daily of minimum €0.15 each times 8% (ReTurn expects 8% of deposits to be unclaimed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Depends what they're getting paid and how much work they've to get done in what time allowed. It's all very well for egghead to say that the minions will be incentivised to pick up the trash but if it's hassle and you just have to get a job done and are being paid for it, just shovel the stuff up as quick as possible.

Advertisement