Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,798 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

My favourite and most important attribute is Poise. That's why i lean into the great shield and as heavy armour as possible while staying medium weight. Only today, i learned about the finger print greatshield from the base game that has huge poise and holy protection. I also learned of the greatshield talisman that boosts poise to the point where you can get almost 100 poise. It's now my mission to get those 2 items before trying the end boss. In my head, 100 poise and 75 holy protection while using mohg's spear to stab while holding up the shield and let mimic cry use bloodboone ritual. It sounds like a good plan but i could go through all the that trouble for him to still one shot me 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Looking at videos the shield is definitely the best strategy for that boss. I went through both the base and DLC without a shield though.

Right, sat down to go get the finger print shield. Google, where is it?.... Aw feck thaaaaaaaat 😩

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I beat the final boss today. My normal dodge, dip, duck and dive playstyle, and various iterations of it, were getting nowhere so I tried blocking instead with a medium shield. It worked a bit better so I went full greatshield. I opted for the black steel greatshield as it has the best holy protection, and a more reasonable strength requirement and it worked a treat. A couple of more tries later, me and my very tanky mimic emerged victorious.

• Advertisement

Just got the fingerprint shield, i would NEVER have found that without a guide. Takes 48 strength to wield it and even though i always have high strength, but not that high, so I'm off to respec, then to get the greatshield talisman and ban to the final boss. Good to hear your tank strategy worked!

Ah crap, the black steel greatshield looks a better option for me 😩

Grabbed the blacksteel shield instead and got the greatshield talisman. Huge difference, went from getting him to about 90% health left to now 25%. Actually defending the 2nd phase easier with the holy protection but the grab is a killer and not being able to get many hits in between his long ass combos. I'm still icky 16 tree blessing and 7 ash blessing so still probably under leveled. Progress none the less.

Man, the absolute shame. I just learned that upgrading shields increases guard boost (less stamina drain). I always thought upgrades increased attack attribs which is pretty pointless so always ignored upgrading shields. I went through the whole game with a level 0 shield when my main strategy in any fight is to absorb their combo with my shield and hit them back with remaining stamina. To the blacksmith!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HopingforNewZ

After over 200 hours on Elden Ring the DLC finally made me learn how to parry. If you know you know!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Havent had a whole lot of time to play over the last few days so not sure I’ll finish it before a holiday-imposed hiatus. But only have a few of the major optional bosses left so nearly there.

Did Metyr last night which wasn’t too bad, though in the second phase has one of the more insane AOE effects I’ve seen (the floating laser one). Doesn’t hit super hard so it’s survivable, but genuinely couldn’t find a safe dodging zone as the laser’s area was so massive I couldn’t even roll through it. Maybe it’s a case of running in a circle to dodge it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Had a quick go after getting home late last night which ended up as a 2 hour jog up jagged peak to bayle.

I'm loving the aesthetic of the game but it's really ruined by the deferred rendered engine. The dithered transparencies on the grace stones look awful, really wish we could go back to real alpha instead of dithered effects that looked awful back on the Sega Saturn. Digital foundry just flat out ignores it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Have done pretty much everything I can reasonably do in the DLC. My summons and I are +9 and +18 respectively, and I have some of the upgrade material to get to the next level of each, but I think trying to find the last few won't be worth it and would be difficult even with a guide as I haven't tracked which ones I have.

Part of me says to bring my character into NG+ with the new weapons and items I got from the DLC (really enjoying the backhand blades, would love to see it against some of the main game bosses and enemies), Part of me says to use my NG+ character and just go through the DLC again, but then another part of me says play Baldurs Gate 3 again or any of the numerous games I bought this year but ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I'm looking forward to NG+, the main game will probably be a breeze after the DLC. But I'll probably take a break before another play through as I've now logged over 350 hours across three characters.

You have to play BG3 soon, it surpassed Elden Ring as the GOAT for me, but I suppose it depends on what you're in the mood for as it scratches a different kind of itch.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Oh I definitely played BG3 before; one of the best games I've ever played. Just getting a hankering for playing it again.

He got my black steel shield to +25 giving 77 guard boost which is the default for finger print shield which has me 2nd guessing, maybe should have gone with that. Anyway, beat the scadtree avatar because of the reward that will help. Hilariously, i died on my first attempt but mimic tear hit a blow as i was turning to dust killing him. Damn, i love that guy.

I have shield grease but also a spell to buff shield guard boost. Trying to use the spell, it is a slightly dark icon and my guy tries to use the seal but nothing happens. I have to check how much fp is needed for that spell and maybe not enough fp when full to even use it. One yi get that figured out, I'm ready for the final boss again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Beat Bayle and now I'm back exploring the second area of the game. There's just so much to do and discover on the map, it and Zelda really put to shame every other open world game.

Damn, end boss kicking my ass. My shield is blocking everything, no issue with that, i only get hit when trying to attack and when i do land, it's not taking off much. The 2nd phase, I'm just not getting any hits in as the combos are too long and when there is a gap, my 1 little spear jab isn't cutting it. Then mimic dies and it's a matter of time before i join him. I just know there's a better setup i could be using to make the most out of my attacks. I can consistently bet him down to 25% so getting there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Also just beat Bayle and Igon is now my official favourite NPC in any Fromsoft game. What an absolute **** lunatic of a lad.

Additional note on Bayle: that ascent to the peak is one of the great bits of From ominous spectacle. That’s how you build up to a boss fight.

• Advertisement

He survived the fight for me. His dialogue after is fantastically deranged.

Yeah he survived mine too, quite handily even. Thought it seemed like a tough fight at first but given Igon is summonable in the arena you don’t have to worry about the additional boss health buff AFAIK. Only annoying part is summoning him in the first place when a bloody drake is legging it towards you 😅

The way he just yells ‘BAAAAYLLLLLEEE!’ when he’s summoned is a delight. He’s very committed to the bit. And then before he disappeared at the end he was just constantly switching weapons like a bored human summon 😂

If you return to where he is in the arena where the two dragons fought you'll find his dead body and gear. All he wanted to do was taken down Bayle in his life.

And he's done. Jesus, don't know how many hours i spent on the final boss but I went through multiple rebuilds to test a few different things, nothing worked. Went back to my original with a couple of talisman tweaks that basically ramped up my stamina and hp to allow me to guard and spear without taking damage and then it was all about managing my stamina. Only took 2 and a half minutes in the end, absolutely epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭McFly85

Just put messmer down. A classic FromSoftware boss - took some time to recognise his attack patterns but once that was done it didn’t take too long.

No idea where to go now! Probably hunt for scadutree fragments, only at 6 so have probably left loads behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Cordell

I got Mesmer last evening on my second try, but I'm lvl ~220 and blessing lvl 12(or 14, need to check) so probably I'm quite overpowered because certainly I'm not that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Unearthly

level 12 is the softcap now since the patch update. Not too much difference from upgrading after that

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Started the game up. As I said I was gifted it a long time ago and never really got into it.

However I notice my FPS in it has totally tanked. The game settings and the PC haven't changed. I wonder did the DLC or some patches before the DLC tank anything that anyone has heard of?

First run many months ago gave me really smooth high FPS on max. Now I am getting 25 to 35 and occasional hard stutters.

Dropped the Quality settings from "max" to "high" expecting at least some impact. Literally nothing. Not a 1FPS difference in the average. Updated all my graphics drivers and monitor driver and nothing also.

Mostly it's playable but I tried out that zombie who turns into a Rune Bear near the starting area and got serious stutters every time he charged. So I imagine boss fights would be worse if I played that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Cordell

It could be that you have raytracing enabled, I disabled it on my system (3080ti / 10850k) because it caused poor framepacing and framerate drops with no obvious quality improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I've only a 3070OC so maybe I was only getting good FPS at Max due to the base game being light. I am sure all kinds of patches and DLC have been installed since then. Probably screwed something up. 99.99% sure nothing else has changed between then and now.

But yes RT was on. I will turn it off and give it awhile and see if anything changes.

Advertisement