Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Finglas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

There isn't, but trains could terminate at Broombridge, then go as far as Glasnevin junction to turnback. They can do so before the new station location.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As I've said before, I suspect they are cautious about the Finglas Luas and the possibility of stupid people and politicians to suggest extending it to the airport instead of building Metrolink.

Otherwise it would have been done with Luas cross city was done. I suspect once Metrolink construction starts, they will turn attention to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Consonata

I really struggle with this one, how could anybody possibly think the two are comparable given you'd almost need a fish-hook style curve to the Airport. Surely folk don't believe this is a viable replacement.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Considering the amount of times that I've already heard it/read it, it is not an impossibility. Anyone that crosses this forum would either know better, or soon learn, but the vast, vast majority of people out there have no idea about this stuff at all. I'm plagued with people in Clontarf complaining about how the government is permanently taking away the ability to drive through North Strand into the city, well over a year after construction started.

Anyone that's even remotely interested in this stuff does not understand how the average person thinks about this stuff. We joke about crayons, etc, but honestly, it's not far from the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Decision makers aren't familiar with the geography of the northside, they think finglas is 'near the airport'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think the simplest explanation is that it's not a priority.

Finglas village has good bus service already.

Also resources are stretched with all the other projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Getting metrolink, dart+ and bus connects to construction is the priority, there are no additional resources till that is done.

Cork luas has effectively been renaged on along with parts of DART+ so Finglas luas would do well to at least still be an active project in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭spillit67

Because they are determined to get the Metrolink started. The canards about Luas extensions to the airport or DART Spur being “quicker and logical” are still too regular to feel comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Steve Allen

Per Irish Times, apparently plans for Finglas Luas line have been submitted for Government approval, with Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) ready to apply for permission for the Finglas line “immediately"

https://www.irishtimes.com/transport/2024/06/29/plans-for-next-dublin-luas-line-submitted-for-government-approval/

You did well to spot this article!! Buried in a Transport section that you wouldn't know existed, no where to be seen on any main pages.

What is it with Irish Times and their complete disinterest, or contempt, in Infrastructure matters?!

https://www.irishtimes.com/transport/2024/06/29/plans-for-next-dublin-luas-line-submitted-for-government-approval/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

It's worth referring back to the first post in this thread, six years ago. There is a certain similarity in terms of messaging.

I think there’s a difference.

There has been an unsaid delay in progressing anything Luas related for a long period now due to MetroLink (and DART+).

It was intended for ML to move forward with planning in 2020 and then Covid hit followed by the ABP issues. I am guessing that the messaging was then that Luas Finglas would progress after ML got through the planning stages.

The fact that we are seeing stories on this moving forward now is positive across the board.

Hopefully it means positive planning news is due to emerge soon from ABP regarding Dart+, Metrolink and the remaining Bus Connects CBCs. The Greens will be doing everything they can to push these projects prior to the General Election.

Let's see....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

» A spokeswoman for Mr Ryan said he would like to see early development of the Finglas line and “would hope to be in a position to look for Government approval for it to go to planning as soon as possible”.

Route for this was published in July 2020, just after he took office. I find it odd how this has taken so long to progress, it could really have been an easy win for the Greens moving this along faster over the last 4 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Between Metro, DART+and BusConnects I assume it was just a function of resources to not get it over the line? It's a fairly unprecedented number of PT projects.

Or they just dropped the ball I guess, always a possibility.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, if the Greens prioritised Finglas Luas, then they'd be dealing with headlines that read "Metrolink delayed by four years due to transport minister intervention".

There is no capacity in TII to do anything other than what they have done.

It's frustrating how slow things are considering we've a huge surplus.

We should be building infrastructure in the good times.

I think this will be brilliant for Finglas and will spur development and gentrification.

I hope they're planning to extend it over to Ballymun Metro in future also which seems like a no brainer.

Two of the most deprived areas in the country are now getting modern public transport infrastructure.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There is a world of difference between simply choosing a route and doing the detailed planning and design work to make that route happen.

The folks at TII who would normally do this work are all busy working on Metrolink.

It also sounds like work has continued in the background, as they've said the planning application is ready to be submitted, imminently, pending government approval.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Most likely Luas Finglas was paused in order to let metrolink get ahead of it, otherwise if both had proceeded at the same rate then less well informed people would’ve said “Hang on, why don’t they just extend Luas to the airport instead of having a Metro?”

• Advertisement

Quite.

I am quite hopeful that the post 2042 map I posted on the other thread actually resembles not far off that by 2042.

I think we are going to see a sustained delivery of transit now. Of course there’s the economy….but in functional terms we are getting the right things together to deliver transport at more of a clip. Metrolink is just very important at the moment, but we are already fairly good at the Luas (I just hope the last 7 years hasn’t lost that in TII).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

No conspiracy theories needed (and as shadowy cabal leaders go, lads: Eamon Ryan? Seriously??)

@spacetweek has the explanation that best fits the facts. Maybe if the teams involved, and ABP, we're twice the size this could have proceeded in parallel with DART+ and Metrolink, but at current staffing, something had to give, and it was Luas Finglas.

Once the ROs and tendering are sorted for those projects, pace will pick up on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Are they planning a large bridge to go over Tolka Valley Park? I imagine the valley is far too steep for the Luas to be able to travel on grade.

There's definitely a bridge planned to go over the Tolka River but not sure how large.

Also a bridge over the canal.

I find this project very exciting. Hope they can get it moving fast.

I hope they plan to extend it to Ballymun Metro also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

This site should answer most of the questions above:

https://pc1.luasfinglas.ie/#/home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Thanks. I didn't realise there were drawings available! Looks like it's just a bridge over the river and the rest follows the existing gradient of the valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Trams can tackle quite steep gradients. Even modern EMUs on full rail lines. Just think of the line up to Charlemont or Steevens Lane. Slow moving up steep climbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

They can, but I was on a Luas on my way home during one of the snow periods we had (it was pre 2008), and the tram got about half way up, and stopped, he kind of slid back down a bit and then applied the power again, and barely got to the top. I guess that must be very close to the limits of what's possible (although it's at least a 5m climb over a very short distance) - well at least when there's snow and ice on the tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭AngryLips

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/transport-infrastructure-ireland-seeks-bidders-for-500m-luas-tram-contract/a1394059524.html

TII are tendering for new luas rolling stock to replace existing but also to provide for new lines in Dublin and Cork. The tender is for 15 years, very optimistic of them to think that we'll get any new Luas infrastructure from them within that time given the sorry state of transport development in this country.

• Advertisement

The tender is likely a framework, similar to how they do with the bus orders, where they don’t have to actually order all the vehicles, they just place firm orders year by year and can cancel the rest if they change their mind.

Like with the Enviro400 buses, the framework was for 600, but only 280 firm orders were placed and delivered as they switched to the full EV buses instead.

BTW the DART+ order is a similar setup.

So this order tender will most likely be a firm order to replace existing Luas trams + maybe a few extra for the very likely to go ahead Finglas extension and capacity increase plan for the Green line. The rest are likely more speculative.

Advertisement