Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Kerry fans must be delighted. Very hard not being in the final at least. They haven't broke a sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

In hurling. Underage hurling Crokes has gone hugely downhill in recent years i was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Forge83

Crokes are non existent at juvenile level and for that reason alone shouldn’t be playing senior county championship. Where do they think they will find the new talent needed year on year to keep playing senior.
    Tralee Parnells are flying at all levels, the complete detachment from Austin Stacks had to happen for Tralee hurling to grow. The same thing needs to happen in Killarney so that they can pull players from all over Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

They seem to be relying on lads moving from outer counties not a good long term plan. I'm not sure what happened as in the mid 2010s there was a lot of Corkes lads on Kerry underage teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Very surprising lack of talk here after the game. Maybe we're all still recovering from that dull, dull, dull game. Let's all hope that some new rules are brought into the game as fast as possible.

Kerry, in the end, did enough against this Derry team that were pretty poor. My optimism levels haven't been raised too much though. There were just too many players that were sub-par.

Anyone have anything to say that might make me feel better about yesterday's game?

Boards.ie is slowly dying. I've noticed this forum dead after games fairly often.

Eamon Fitzmaurice gave an interview a couple of weeks ago on a trial game they held to trial new rule changes.

He said their goal was to have the most exciting amateur sport in the world.

I actually think just banning passing back to the keeper would be enough.

One of the new rules might be that teams are forced to keep a certain number of player up the field. That would also stop all the boring shite. Something needs to be done though. Yesterday diminished the sport in my eyes and if we had lost I would probably have not watched another second of the all-ireland this year. Too many things annoyed me - tactics, the ref, the lack of bravery, the sheer monotony.

It's difficult though.

Derry are a quality team and had 15 men behind the ball.

You have to play with patience.

I think if they banned passing back to the keeper, teams would just press from the front.

I think Jack has PTSD from Mikey Harte also so was extra cautious.

If we get the final against Galway, we can play more open.

It is difficult, but was there even one incidence, for example, of someone like Gavin White, running at pace, came on the shoulder of the man in possession to take the ball past the Derry player in front? I never thought I'd say this, but I missed Stephen O'Brien yesterday. He drove me mad with his running into cul-de-sacs, but the starting line-up missed a lot of that one on one bravery. If this Derry team had the same energy that they had last year, I don't think that we'd have won it.

• Advertisement

I think the players were instructed to not run into traffic and get caught on the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That nearly cost us the game against Derry lase year and did cost us against Tyrone in 2021. Its better to win a bad one than lose a good one

Slava Ukrainii

Exactly.

We've had a very strong panel since 2019 and only 1 AI to show for it.

In '19 David Moran ran into traffic and we drew.

In '21 DC ran into traffic and we conceded a goal.

We've left a couple of AI behind us.

Dublin are definitely weaker now so we need to make hay while the sun shines until they rebuild again.

David Clifford should hopefully end up with 4 or 5 AI medals minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Saturday evening at half 5 after the Tailteann Cup final, we will play Armagh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭50HX

Hateful time for a semi final, I appreciate it's a final but both down & laois are sub 2 hours to croker

2pm would bring our game forward an hour & make a big difference post match

It's nit picking a small bit I know but a big ask to head for south/west kerry after 7pm esp if you've smallies

Doin well to get 50k for that game come kick off

We did what we had to do, it wasn't pretty to watch but it's knockout so no point playing a wide open game & being bate, we've done that often enough & lost.

Derry never looked like goin for it, I think they are broken under Harte & the sooner he goes the better for them, they had a great league but in reality 3 losses & got to a quarter final...they did well enough

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Piskin

Played to win at all costs yesterday against a very negative Mickey Harte team, no Kerry player taking the ball into traffic that has cost us AI,s in the past, C Burke, D Geaney finds of the year, K Spillane comes on again and kicks a score at a crucial time. Thank God C Burke came on instead of S o' Brien, O'Brien, P Geaney & Dara Moynihan are deadwood in this Kerry set-up. Finished the game with a flourish yesterday.

Derry did try to go for it but the Kerry defence held their ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Footballs coming home

Cillian Burke might be our secret weapon.

Paudie Clifford said after the game that he'd "massive pace".

Perfect to bring on when the game opens up and legs are tiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i am surprised to the reaction to the game nationally , it wasn't great but as you said ye did what had to be done , burke was excellent when he came on , but diarmuid o connor was top class , he really held his own , i didn't like to see tony brosnan taken off though , bigger calls are required in that regard , he is Kerry's best forward this year by a mile

Brosnan has improved, still prone to over hitting a pass by being too fancy. Hopefully D o' Connor can do it in the next game as his consistency has been very poor over his career in a Kerry jersey. Worried by Jack's sticking with Moynhan & P Geaney as they bring nothing and are a liability in today's game where one mistake can be fatal. Next weeks game will be a pure puke fest as the stakes are higher. We need to be patient and hold our nerve again as Armagh will be as dirty as Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Moynihan has been a disaster all year played well against us which doesn't count but id say that was his only good game , geany the same , played well against meath and nothing else all year . D O'Connor is a big game player though , he really stood up last year against fenton , he was probably kerrys best player in the final , and he has been good this year against bad opposition i know but its a start in terms of consistancy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Couldn't disagree more on Moynihan.

He's absolutely essential to the way we play and covers every blade or grass every game.

He tracks the runners from deep that David passes off. He keeps the width in attack to open the holes in blanket defences. He's also managed to add scores to his game this year.

We create a lot of scoring chances that go through his hands.

He's never going to be a dynamic scoring wing forward. He does the most unselfish, thankless role in the team but instead of being lauded he gets abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Clifford is 25 now. Playing in his 7th championship this year.

If he's to end up with 4 medals minimum he's gonna need to be on a winning team 3 in the next 5/6 years.

Here's hoping but our success rate up to now would suggest it might be difficult.

I just think a player of his talent should hopefully end up with a few medals. Also he has a strong panel around him.

If we win this year, then he has 7 or 8 more seasons to win 2 or 3 more medals.

It's definitely feasible.

But really 19, 21 and 23 were all winnable AIs. We won't mention 20. So he should have 4 AIs and going for his 5th.

I'm hoping he doesn't get any serious injuries and plays until 33 or 34.

We've two winnable games coming up and hopefully he brings us over the line.

Dublin won't be as formidable in the short term. 9 of their starting team the last day were over 30. Your pace can go overnight when you hit 30/31.

If you watch Galway's last point, you can see James McCarthy's legs are gone.

So the next 2 or 3 years we should be on paper the favourites.

I think Donegal are the dark horse this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

It's only lads watchihg kerry games on telly who don't rate Moynihan. (That's not a dig at the poster you were replying to, they're from Clare AFAIK so I wouldn't expect them to be at Kerry games).

But when you're at a match, it's absolutely clear the work Moynihan puts in and why he's in the team.

Correct, but all the hard work doesn't make him an inter county grade footballer

For all his endeavour he's just not up to the grade imo

HE has been around long enough by now I don't see him adding to his game

Some people are clueless and expect a wing forward to be scoring 3 points every game.

DM and Paul Murphy both seem to get lots of criticism.

• Advertisement

He was one of our better players the last day.

Some players just seem to garner more criticism than others. For example Gavin White didn't do much the last day but he's never criticised.

Advertisement