Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I didn't see a huge amount from this year but everything away from the Pyramid looked brilliant. Coldplay a bigger shinier more corporate version of Picture This on Main Stage Stradbally. Chilling actually, with the bracelets and what have you. Bizarre contrast with the clips from Fontaines, Idles, Sleaford Mods, Big Special, Kneecap, Paul Heaton etc. Between Chris and the whole SZA debacle, Glasto has some decisions to make I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't agree that they are the only females that could carry that Sunday slot. Plenty of others. Adele, Billie Eilish, Lizzo, Ariana Grande even Rihanna would have the place rocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Malbcull22

Brilliant gig🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Shank Williams

lots of entitled whinging here and on other festival threads.

Lads ye are old , festivals have historically been for the young, less so these days as younger generations getting shafted from every direction and the ones doing the shafting are the ones with money to spend on festivals.

Imagine if your parents had been hanging around stably in the early days of EP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,648 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

any pictures or footage of the crowd density at Sza's performance?

I turned over after the game last night and couldn't listen for more that a minute…

it was utter garbage….

This isn't Glastonbury headline material…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Shoog

It was a poor line-up for sure, but there was a good festival to watch just not represented by the picks on the BBC. Without the iPlayer most of what they showed was fairly dire. Ideols were the best I saw over the whole weekend. Bbc6 music on Sunday had some of the best coverage. If I went again after 30years it would be the preponderance of snotty nosed rich kids and their parents that would really piss me off. Glastonbury is so massive that there is always going to be a good time to be had even if it only around one of the cyder tents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭Fanirish

sza is popular, did 4 nights in London 02 last year and was just at Hyde park. Would say her fanbase are just not at glasto in sufficient. Glastonbury does skew more middle age so an recent rnb star with a young fan base of 20-25 wasn’t great idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ECookie13

It's a bit hilarious seeming all the complaining here about this year's festival, from people who are not even in attendance and are 100's of miles away. The people in attendance looked to be having a super time and the weather was lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭RINO87

I get your point....but the early EP crowd was mostly people in their mid to late 30's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The National were amazing in 3Arena last year. If their Glastonbury performance was as good as that, then it was some treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭phizzledizzle

That's a great song 😕

SZA was overpromoted into the slot because of Madonna pulling out, and didn't have the profile to justify being there - the crowd providing ample evidence of that.

But she remains an incredible artist and perhaps will have headliner worthy status in the UK in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Also the "legenads" are whatever they called them were way overpromoted, especially by BBC, Like i get it, Jo Whiley is hardly gonna say a set was crap, but Cindy Lauper and especially Shania Twain were pretty poor.

Is there no reasearch done on these artists to see how they are performing or do they just ask these people, do you fancy this gig?

I'm led to believe Arcaida stage was excellent throughout the weekend. Woodsies and West Holts had some excellent gigs

I know they only played last year, but the Queens of the Stone Age should be a headline act on the pyramid stage very soon…

They were cruelly denied the audience they deserved last year as the played the same time as Elton and everyone wanted to see Elton, but the Queens were fcuking amazing.

Oh you mean Elton John who performed the greatest live act ever that night……………..Gimme a break.

The commentary around that was ridiculous.

Elton was good, Rocket Man was amazing, but had I been there, it'd be the Queens all day long for me..

He was very good. But the hyperbole about it was crazy. The amount of people who said it was the greatest gig of all time…….Always, in the moment bias though, i get that, but no way was it the best

Queens are excellent may i add

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭Fanirish

ah it wasn’t. Was present at all the EP’s from year 1 on and the early EP crowd in early to late 20’s as the core audience easily making up 60%, good bunch of early 30’s and then another good amount of 35 plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,319 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They probably come across ok in the venue itself, with all the noise of the crowd, music etc

Shania Twain played Malahide.

But on a BBC close in recording, it is unforgiving.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Did Mannequin Pussy feature on the Beeb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They go all in on their iPlayer and you can watch any stage live or watch back full sets

Their broadcast show is really only an ad-on.

• Advertisement

But on a BBC close in recording, it is unforgiving.

Yep. Bands playing live can probably get away with loads when playing live on a stage… but when it's being recorded and mixed as well as the BBC can do, then you need to be 100% on your game otherwise it'll come across poorly.

I bet anyone that was there for Cyndi Lauper or Shania Twain will say it was brilliant, and sounded brilliant.

*This is why I give so much kudos to Queens of the Stone Age as being probably one of the best/tightest bands in the world right now as last year they sounded amazing… didn't miss a beat…

**Any band seen at Glastonbury via BBC and who sound good will probably sound amazing in the flesh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Well guy’s waiting on my flight home. We had brilliant time in Glastonbury we got to a good portion of who wanted to see.

We arrived and I have to admit we were a little overwhelmed with the scale of it, I don’t think we fully realised it until there but hey ho.

After the first couple of hours we got our bearings and got into our groove. You really could get lost in it we just wandered for hours sampling different parts it was awesome.

The whole site seemed to run like a Swiss watch anyone we asked for advice was super friendly and helpful. We didn’t stay onsite just off it but it was so easily accessible and everything just seemed to fall in place for us.

We had been watching the weather hour by hour before we went and man did it play ball. Friday was warm and sunny but temperature fell a lot at night. Saturday was just perfection lovely and toasty would have loved it hotter but that’s just me. Sunday was cool and grey with brief showings of sunshine. But the main thing was the whole weekend was dry.

Food and drink onsite was perfect no long queues to get anything and I liked the official pilsner.

Overall it was a wonderful weekend and we were blown away by it.

Thank You Glastonbury 2024!

Post edited by Marty Bird on

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭RINO87

I was 18 for the first camping one and remember feeling like we were sticking out like a sore thumb and not to be at anything that would get us thrown out 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I took basically no photos for the whole 5 days and didn’t post in this thread at all, but I had an excellent time as always. Weather pretty much perfect yet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

@The Nal you’re right quickest way was taxi. A tip for anyone when we got there Arrow cabs wanted £86 for two to the festival. I downloaded the Bolt app and got a taxi for £61.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Interesting

I'll tell you one artist i'd get my arse over there for would be Roger Hodgson. Not sure if he still tours though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You’ll always have opportunities to see them though. Elton headlining the pyramid was a once off that won’t be repeated.

Hmmmmm, where have i heard the, "one off, never to be repeated" speil before

oh yeah, I'm not disputing that, hence why so many wanted to see him…. and it was his first time playing Glastonbury too so there was that…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭crl84

Unless they come out with some big mainstream/commercial sound with the next album, there's zero chance of them headlining the Pyramid any time soon.

Advertisement