Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

The white socks - phucking beetroot head

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

What Glasto is about for me, finding new music. This lot, i'll be following. Punkish. Sleaford Mods

2024 will go down probably the worst lineup in living memory. Need to seriously think about their line up next year. Focused too much on making a point of having a woma(e)n headlining. No problem with that, but have someone, A Act that people actually know who they are, B, Can perform.

2017 still for me the best in the last 20 odd years

And one but could only dream for DM. I'd unretire my festival days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 kolkio

Here's a theory for the reason some artist so high up on the bill had a poor turn out:

"Ostensibly, agents and promoters should have access to data that can give them a better sense of demand. But they often place outsized importance on raw streaming numbers.

The data is very confusing,” says the anonymous booking agent. “There’s a lot of passive listeners for data. You can have millions upon millions of streams, but that doesn’t mean it’s gonna turn into tickets. The opposite is, there are some artists who don’t have many streams at all and they can sell like 2,000, 3,000 tickets.”

https://www.stereogum.com/2267170/arena-tour-ticket-sales-black-keys-jlo/columns/sounding-board/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Festivals like Glastonbury, with such a wide variety of acts, will draw attendees from all music tastes, and a lot with none, who just want to go to the festival. With the advent of Spotify, there probably aren’t as many giant acts as there used to be, and those that are, have mostly headlined before. My understanding is that SZA (I thought she was brutal too, not because of her music as that is subjective, but because she didn’t get the crowd going at all) was headlining due to someone else pulling out. Let’s be fair, the only two female artists who could carry the Sunday headline are Beyoncé and TS. I would have liked to see Oasis reform for a headline spot, maybe they will in the future, DM possibly wouldn’t resonate with a lot of the younger crowd, though the show would be great, in all probability there would also be complaints if they got the last spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Wooderson

SZA's fans adored her performance. Swiftian devotion down the front. Most of them young women/teenagers that had the night of their lives. Bad news is that there was only a few 1000 of them here tops. Festival bookers relying on streaming data is a problem. SZA would have been perfect on the West Holts tonight. Glasters should have bumped Simbi to headliner when Madonna pulled out.

Also the National are a total snoozefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Felt sorry for SZA. She's in Malahide Wednesday. I'm sure she'll get the love there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Yeah she said she was terrified. Few v strange bookings/schedulings by the production team here this year.

I didn't see a huge amount from this year but everything away from the Pyramid looked brilliant. Coldplay a bigger shinier more corporate version of Picture This on Main Stage Stradbally. Chilling actually, with the bracelets and what have you. Bizarre contrast with the clips from Fontaines, Idles, Sleaford Mods, Big Special, Kneecap, Paul Heaton etc. Between Chris and the whole SZA debacle, Glasto has some decisions to make I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,796 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't agree that they are the only females that could carry that Sunday slot. Plenty of others. Adele, Billie Eilish, Lizzo, Ariana Grande even Rihanna would have the place rocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Malbcull22

Brilliant gig🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Shank Williams

lots of entitled whinging here and on other festival threads.

Lads ye are old , festivals have historically been for the young, less so these days as younger generations getting shafted from every direction and the ones doing the shafting are the ones with money to spend on festivals.

Imagine if your parents had been hanging around stably in the early days of EP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,347 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

any pictures or footage of the crowd density at Sza's performance?

I turned over after the game last night and couldn't listen for more that a minute…

it was utter garbage….

This isn't Glastonbury headline material…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Shoog

It was a poor line-up for sure, but there was a good festival to watch just not represented by the picks on the BBC. Without the iPlayer most of what they showed was fairly dire. Ideols were the best I saw over the whole weekend. Bbc6 music on Sunday had some of the best coverage. If I went again after 30years it would be the preponderance of snotty nosed rich kids and their parents that would really piss me off. Glastonbury is so massive that there is always going to be a good time to be had even if it only around one of the cyder tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Fanirish

sza is popular, did 4 nights in London 02 last year and was just at Hyde park. Would say her fanbase are just not at glasto in sufficient. Glastonbury does skew more middle age so an recent rnb star with a young fan base of 20-25 wasn’t great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭ECookie13

It's a bit hilarious seeming all the complaining here about this year's festival, from people who are not even in attendance and are 100's of miles away. The people in attendance looked to be having a super time and the weather was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭RINO87

I get your point....but the early EP crowd was mostly people in their mid to late 30's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The National were amazing in 3Arena last year. If their Glastonbury performance was as good as that, then it was some treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭phizzledizzle

That's a great song 😕

SZA was overpromoted into the slot because of Madonna pulling out, and didn't have the profile to justify being there - the crowd providing ample evidence of that.

But she remains an incredible artist and perhaps will have headliner worthy status in the UK in the coming years.

Also the "legenads" are whatever they called them were way overpromoted, especially by BBC, Like i get it, Jo Whiley is hardly gonna say a set was crap, but Cindy Lauper and especially Shania Twain were pretty poor.

Is there no reasearch done on these artists to see how they are performing or do they just ask these people, do you fancy this gig?

I'm led to believe Arcaida stage was excellent throughout the weekend. Woodsies and West Holts had some excellent gigs

I know they only played last year, but the Queens of the Stone Age should be a headline act on the pyramid stage very soon…

They were cruelly denied the audience they deserved last year as the played the same time as Elton and everyone wanted to see Elton, but the Queens were fcuking amazing.

Oh you mean Elton John who performed the greatest live act ever that night……………..Gimme a break.

The commentary around that was ridiculous.

Elton was good, Rocket Man was amazing, but had I been there, it'd be the Queens all day long for me..

He was very good. But the hyperbole about it was crazy. The amount of people who said it was the greatest gig of all time…….Always, in the moment bias though, i get that, but no way was it the best

Queens are excellent may i add

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Fanirish

ah it wasn’t. Was present at all the EP’s from year 1 on and the early EP crowd in early to late 20’s as the core audience easily making up 60%, good bunch of early 30’s and then another good amount of 35 plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,053 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They probably come across ok in the venue itself, with all the noise of the crowd, music etc

Shania Twain played Malahide.

But on a BBC close in recording, it is unforgiving.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Did Mannequin Pussy feature on the Beeb?

Advertisement