Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Dowling and Arthur Gourounlian expecting first baby.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

by that logic anyone woman widowed should have had her sons taken away from her!

And likewise daughters removed from single fathers.. no matter how they ended up in the situation

batsh!t crazy logic

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Are you sure? It's the norm here too. I already had a conversation about color in the pad for example. Not to turn this thread into an off topic biology lesson but some girls have a flow so slow that blood does it's usual thing of clotting and congealing. Perfectly normal conversation "Dad just wondering is it meant to be sometimes weirdly totally brown" to which I explained exactly what I just said above. Different colors. Meanings of different colors. What to worry about. What not to worry about. And much more.

Shock horror. Men can do this. I am genuinely baffled as to why you are so sure it's such an out there concept. Are men so helpless in your experience? :) This seems to be more a comment on the men in YOUR life than men in general I would suggest.

But that said - no one needs it to be the "norm" do they? So why even bring that up that it is not the norm? Two male parents is not the norm either. The question is IN that situation can a man step up and fill these roles you are assigning to the mother. Answer: Yes. They can. Just as well as any woman.

No one said it is the "norm". We are saying that WHEN it happens this way it appears not to be any better or worse than the "norm". What has "norm" got to do with anything really?

Ah you are not ignoring all my posts then just some of them. That's good.

Not sure to what you refer to be honest but I do not have and never have had a twitter account. So whatever you are on about it's not me no :)

Many men don't. Despite being very sexual and sexually active I have never had either a wet dream OR erections out of context. Many men don't. Some women don't have periods either - shock horror. Rare of course. But they exist.

While I might seem derisive about it I have to admit I am genuinely baffled AND intrigued by this "if you haven't done/experienced it you can not help/explain it" concept you have. Do you apply this to everything in life? Or just reproductive topics? Do you genuinely believe the mechanics of female toilet products is beyond the mind of men? Or are you being tongue in cheek and having a laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Just curious, similar near caricature of Wokeness

Remember the Sacha Baron Cohen series where he played a number of different characters and one guy pretended to give birth in order to "experience female suffering" ?

You remind me of the character

I'd be curious to know what aspect of anything I said is "woke". Though it's not a word I tend to understand or use. Seems to mean much different things today than it did when it was originally coined. But yeah I do often get called extreme right, or extreme left, or some other label when I express opinions. Though how I can be all of these things at the same time - I have never worked out. I mean I was called a right wing extremist once solely because I mentioned I teach my kids how to operate and shoot rifles since they were around 8/9. Is that right wing? Beats me. Pro homosexual marriage (left? woke?) against transgenders going to the wrong places in things like sports (right? Fasscist?). Seems no one knows what I am :)

I fear people just throw out a label because they can not actually reply to anything you actually said. "I can't answer that so I will just say woke. That'll show them how with it and clued in I am!" :) It's hilarious really. Or pathetic. Or both. I dunno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

Mothers and fathers bring separate important skills to the parenting table. Yes I do think that parenting a male needs input from a ideally a father or another male.

Being honest I wouldnt have a problem with 2 gay women raising a child. Its more natural imo. I do believe though that these children should know who their father is.

I do have a problem with 2 men however - its going against nature. Handing over a newborn to 2 men is just not right. The love of a mother has for her child is special and nothing will convince me otherwise. I sincerely do hope that Brian and Artur parent these girls well and we dont have 2 messed up girls in the future. Best wishes to their family.

Ive given my opinion and thats the last Im going to say here. There is no point going over and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

I think its fair to say your a one off taxAcruel

Nah. Just a human. We all have our unique things that are just us. And the rest of it which is like everyone else. But whatever way you intended it :) I shall take it as a compliment all the same.

If anything is unique or at least less common about me - I think it is just that I do not fit things into neat little "on off" "yes no" "black white" "right wrong" boxes like humans generally tend to. I am too sensitive to the nuance and variability that makes up the reality outside the head where we parse that reality into those neat nonsense little boxes.

So far it works.

And my own kids turning out pretty damn good (so far) if I do say so. Despite the "unnatural" not "norm" situation of each of them having three parents - one biological sibling - and two half biological siblings. So too the kids being raised by gay or single parents that I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Well, that's your problem, and thankfully you have absolutely no say in who gets to be a parent,

I wonder would you have the courage to express your "problem with it" so openly, if you met a couple like Brian and Arthur face-to-face?

Would you be brave enough to say to them that they are unsuitable to raise their girls, to their faces?

Somehow, I doubt it.

Deece is there an issue with a man raising a child on his own? So if the mum died in childbirth by your logic the child shouldn’t be raised by his/her dad as it’s somehow unnatural?

Or is it gay men in particular?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Absolutely, I saw in the early stages with our two that my wife was the far more important figure

Nature has rules and that's how it is

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

whats creepy is someone advocating for children to be brought up by people who arent their parents, especially the biological mother.

You will have to take it up with someone who is "advocating" that then. Since I am not I am not sure why you mention it to me.

All I have said is that there is no reason on offer by anyone here to think that most parental configurations are any better or worse overall than any other. And when asked for any reason to think this is so - people just go on and on about periods. Which is just plain weird.

The studies I quoted (75 of them give or take) find no difference in well being or outcomes. I have seen no difference in well being or outcomes. And aside from "Its just the feelz" no one here has suggested there will be any difference in well being or outcomes.

So no one needs to "advocate" for any such thing. It appears things are just fine whatever combination of parents a child gets and we can all leave well alone. Seems all these kids are perfectly ok as is. Mother/Father, Father/Father, Mother/Mother or any other combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Thats basically adoption - nothing creepy about adoption.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

No, you've basically defined adoption: children being brought by people other than their parents. And it's nearly always the mother's decision to give the child up.

Might be an idea to rewrite you rthougts if adoption's not what you meant.

No i haven't. I said advocating for someone other than a childs parents to parent them is creepy. I didnt say adoption was creepy, but it could be i suppose depending on the circumstances, that is a different discussion.

I disagree - as long as the child's birth patents consent, nothing creepy about it. Even adoption aside, surrogacy is nothing new.

So if a pair of drug addicts have a baby, you wouldn't be advocating for their baby to raised by someone other than them?

Yeah right.

Put down the shovel before the hole you're digging gets any deeper.

• Advertisement

what about step parents? That creepy too?

And if it’s unnatural for someone other than natural parents to raise a kid what do you suggest we do with orphans? Leave them in group homes?

Not just me - lots of people don't see adoption or surrogacy (i.e. advocating for children to be brought up by people who arent their parents) as creepy.

picking a specific pretty negative scenario doesnt prove anything. Its like me saying would you be happy for drug addicts to raise a child thats not theirs.

I was speaking generally as the poster i was replying to appears to see no specific value in biological parents raising their own children.

You appear confused, again trying to use a specific circumstance. See post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wezz

Interesting take. I'm one of 4 boys, we were essentially raised by our mother. Dad was on the scene but worked all the time so my mother was the sole go to in our house for most of my childhood and youth. I went to her about everything, dad was as useful as a glass hammer. If I'd talked to him about an intimate issue or something to do with sex he'd have found a reason to leave the room. My friends old lads were the same for the most part. By your logic my wonderful, open minded, kind hearted and supportive mother should have taken a back seat and left me to fend for myself. Never heard anything as ridiculous. I have mates who grew up in single parent households, their mothers steered them onto the right path or they turned to older siblings or friends. By the looks of it Brian grew up in a house of women, these girls will have no shortage of people to turn to if they need a woman's input.

Look, we all know what you really think, so spare us the disingenuous replies.

You're not fooling anyone.

im not sure that you do, but to be clear, what i think is, in the majority of cases, the best people to raise a child are its biological parents, ideally in a committed relationship.

Are there scenarios were its better for the child for people who are not the biological parents to raise he or she, of course, but i am speaking generally.

Oh, I'm sure.

Too late for you to back pedal now.

🤣 no back peddling, i have been very consistent, so you agree with me?

• Advertisement

Deleted,

Advertisement