Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2024

• 01-07-2024 7:26am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Here we go again. Hopefully we'll see some great matches over the next fortnight.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hopefully Murray rides off in to the sunset without playing, and gives us a rest from all the drama. Between him and Djokovic……

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Confirmed Sabalenka pulled out

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Sad news about Sabalenka, big loss to the women's side. I think she'll win it one day though. Might have won it already if she wasn't banned in 2022.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I see that Kyrgios is commentating on Wimbledon, is he finished playing now and concentrating on commentating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭drury..

Drama is part of it

The media the event and the players

It's 50% entertainment and 50% drama

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I actually laughed when I saw that.

The commentators weren't exactly complimentary of him as a player.....now he's one of their colleagues.... awkward 😂 😂 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭tiegan

He's been off injured for a good while, and says he is not retiring any time soon. He is a far better commentator than player, less of the drama!! Delighted to have him commentating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Floppybits

That's why I was wondering if he has given up on playing. I know he had a knee injury but he must be out nearly 2 years now and he doesn't seem to be any hurry to get back playing?

Berrettini through in 4 sets I don't think many will want to face him!

Alcaraz being given a decent enough workout in first two sets against Lajal but running away with the third.

Medvedev sailed through.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Drama on court during the tournament. Going on about retiring for years no thanks. He’s retiring, we get it.

• Advertisement

Well ya but he's part of the occasion

They were a long time waiting for a British champ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭josip

The Andy drama won't last beyond the first match week and is almost needed during a week when there are very few upsets.

Raducanu survived a break point, and now breaks herself. Fery looks gassed down break in 5th set shame.

Back on serve in Raducanu match, nice tight contest so far.

Raducanu dominates tie breaker. One set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,448 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Kyrgios looked very odd when talking between matches with Tim and Claire.... staring into space really weirdly!

I'd take him commentating any day over the histrionics on court though!

Did I hear that Azarenka is out as well? There's a lot of fallers before day 1 is even over!

Solid from Raducanu 7-6, 6-3. Physically she looked good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

saw the second set of the raducanu match as it’s what is shown on premier sports. It’s better than nothing but yes she seemed good, which given her injuries is good to see. Not sure how far she can go.

Elise Mertens (winnable) in the next round seemingly.

I can't see her going too deep but depends on the draw and her fitness. Few big names dropped out already on ladies side. Nice to see Osaka looking happy and winning too.

Murray if he plays tomorrow has Machac (tough draw imo).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

If anyone happens to have a ticket for this year's Wimbledon that they're not using, I'd be very grateful for the opportunity of taking off your hands....

Sinner looked to be coasting (two sets up) but Hanfmann has taken the third set! Should add a warning...Andrew Castle on comms....

Seeing that clip of Murray training today....I wouldn't count on him making it on court tbh. Shame.

Sinner kicked things up in set 4 (with the roof) decent match just under 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭whitelaurel

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/tennis/1917701/Wimbledon-Frances-Tiafoe/amp

if you lose to clowns I wonder what that makes you haha. Thought he was a dope in that doubles game against Fed and Nadal but gave him the benefit of the doubt but a dope he is. Talented but not a player that will be remembered in 10 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Murray out of the singles, will now only play doubles with Jamie.

Defending ladies champion Vondrousova down a set to a player ranked in the 80s I think, and looking less than convincing in her first round match.

ETA and down a break first game in the second set.

• Advertisement

And she's gone.

Didn't look remotely at the races for most of the match that I saw, I didn't realise she'd been injured recently.

But her opponent played great tennis, delighted for her!

Advertisement