Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Golf Club Repairs

• 21-06-2024 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

Do many of you do your own golf club repairs, if so what tools do you use without having to spend a fortune. Id just be talking about reshafting irons or fairway woods etc. Would it be best to use a heat gun or a butane or propane blow torch? Any particular recommendations on which brand, power, size etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Do a bit myself - ordered a lot of bits and pieces from Hireko and they have a great write up on a basic set up for club repair and building

https://www.hirekogolf.com/blog/post/what-tools-do-i-need-to-build-golf-clubs-at-home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭blackbox

I only change the grips. No special tools needed, but a special clamp for holding the shaft in a vise is useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

If you already have a vice and stanley knife, your halfway there. You'll get box of hooked blades for the knife from Screwfix for about 3.50. Essential for re-gripping graphite shafts. A rubber vise clamp makes it really easy to hold the club shaft in the vise without damaging it. They can be obtained for a few euro from any of the online retailers. My son included one for me on an order - cost about €2. Heat guns are €14 at the moment in Lidl. I find them more useful and less damaging than a blowtorch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭drury..

I'd advise caution there don't get your hand ripped off

Speaking from experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Grips aren’t too bad, getting into reshafting is a bit more tricky especially without the right tools. I’ve ordered a few bits and pieces from adore grips in England. I have a hand held drill too. Only thing now is either a heat gun or small blow torch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

@RoadRunner is always tinkering with his clubs. should probably change his name to Bryson really🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

grips aren't to difficult to change and the hooked blades make them much easier to take old ones off

Hook blade definitely if removing from graphite shaft, standard blade is ok with steel shafts if someone doesn’t have a hook blade just don’t press too hard and be careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭drury..

Be very careful

A hook blade, the hand a vice and force is a dangerous combination

It's best not to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

I think there may have been an accident? No issue if used correctly. Sharp blade - minimal force, cut away from yourself, hold securely in a shaft vise clamp. A hook blade is safer than a straight blade. Any blade + hand + no vice or vice with no clamp is not really a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I think a simply epoxy is the main ingredient needed for affixing heads to shaft. There two tubes, when you push the plunger the mixtures start to mix together. Get a spatula and mix them together well. The gooey mixture warms up and you have a few minutes to work with that before it starts to harden. It's fairly easy to work with. But wear old clothes when you do this as it's easy for a drop or two to get on to something you care about.

Shafting beads sounded kinky. So I got these to sprinkle on to the epoxy when shafting my irons. They do something helpful. I can't remember what the somethings was though, whether that was increasing the bond or helping with alignment.

I added new ferrules on irons. You'll probably need to buy these online. These are for the look only, but irons look untidy without them.

To de-shaft just add heat and some twisting action, the heat breaks down the hardened e-poxy enough that a few twists should be all that needed to break the bond. Light blow torch usage, heat gun. If you've a gas cooker at home that can be used. If it's winter and you've an open fire, you can just let the heads heat up over the fire which I've done before.

Steel shafts are easy to work with. Reshafting of fairway woods could be delicate, particularly the heating aspect, as there's the potential to easily damage the graphite shaft. I'd suggest you should get proper advice (ie: not me!) if you are trying to de-shaft fairway woods.

Again, from memory, so take with a pinch of salt (or glass beads!) there's two different shaft thicknesses, and they are very similar but not compatible with each other. So check that the shafts and heads are the same spec, and also buy the correct size ferrules.

There was not too much to it from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I had something like 2-hour hardening epoxy (non-golf branded), I finished shafting my clubs perhaps about midnight and didn't swing them until the first teebox at 8am the following morning. To my elation no-one got skulled by a flying 4iron head. That was perhaps 7 years ago and still no one's been skulled within that quite significant timeframe. I'm calling it now.. Successful operation!

Thanks Roadrunner, that’s great info.

Advertisement