Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The still you took conveniently excluded the strike by the Dublin player to the shoulder/neck area. See first few seconds of the video. If a player tries to tackle like that, coming in from behind the player with the ball, it's going to be a free all day long. It's not Galway bias, or anti-Dubs. And JRant trying to stand over his comment that Con O'Callaghan was pushed for the wide that he kicked at the end. Galway player clearly tried to block the ball, and jumped in front of Con. Get over it. The better team won yesterday. Just about the better team. You can take every game and try to analyse every play in great detail - and you will nearly always come up with some fault of a ref e.g. many players take 5/6 steps, but get away with it cause it's not obvious; most tackles that are executed are not in line with the rule book, but they are not called out unless generally overly aggressive. Happens for all teams in all matches. It's really sour grapes - saying other teams are cheating just because they win. Dublin are plenty good with the dark arts themselves. I was at the match, and the amount of times Galway runners were taken out of the game when they were trying to make an off-the-ball run. And I (not so fondly) remember well Dublin players taking down several Mayo players before a last minute kick-out some years back so that they couldn't attack to get an equalizer I think. But that's part of the game. I wish my own team had a greater level of deviousness - they would have landed Ciaran Kilkenny and Jack McCaffrey into row Z of the stand in Roscommon 2 weeks ago. But unfortunately they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,512 ✭✭✭bren2001

Derry still being in it is bloody stupid.

Saying that, irrelevant when talking about Dublin. Seperate issue with the structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Gael85

This talk of several Mayo players been pulled down in last minute of 2017 final is one great GAA myths. Aside from Kilkenny pulling down Keegan incident I don't recall any other Mayo players on the ground.

Post edited by Gael85 on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,629 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yep recent one I can think of in foreign codes - Portugal had three draws no wins in the group stages of 2016. And won the thing. You would swear the group stages are just a GAA "problem" the way some people go on.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Deserves credit for winning Sam last year where he got it spot from the QF's on. He got it wrong this year with his selection though. As others as pointed out it left no bench with his starting 15. I have not forgotten he did the opposite v Mayo in last years QF and turned it around. It was odd that he did not stick to the same plan, that worked.

Surely Ger Brennan is top choice now?

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Advertisement

I think there will be 5/6 retirements from this Dublin squad. If that happens (in my head) I would have Dublin in or around the level of Roscommon. Enough to win Leinster and do "OK" in the group stages.

But there certainly won't be same depth now. I am sort of annoyed how this Dublin panel was let get old. Too dependant on the old guard. It happened Kerry's great era, it happened Tyrone's great era and now it looks like it will happen Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Xander10

The water boy was a big influence on the players last year.

😀 I'd forgotten that "waterboy". You could be right an experienced shoulder to lean on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I think all of us were happy last year when Dessie took the short term view and we got over the line for another one .At that point we were happy to postpone the necessary rebuild for another day .We paid the price this year for it but still have lovely memories from last year .

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

Dessie brought the old guard back for short term gains instead of blooding new players leading to longer term damage. The definition of shirt termism, but such is the pressure to win silverware i suppose

• Advertisement

Dessie doesn't appear to have real faith in the young lads that were given some game time during the year ,hence he started the three lads where surely there one or two others that could have held the fort till the last twenty mins or so .Even Jack coming on at around 50 mins could have given us the shot in the arm required .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭mobby

Yep I agree bringing on Jack with 20mins to go I think would have made the difference yesterday,it was to me a strange call to play him from the start. Also never really replaced Dean Rock for a quality free taker. Can't be serious AI contenders if you lose a 4pt lead at this stage. It's Kerrys AI to lose now. As they say in Mayo.. there's always next year..

My auld lad (A Galway fella who was delighted yesterday) was describing Dublin's win last year as a coronation. One they were not supposed to win. Hard to argue with that.

But I can't help thinking that if Dessie did his same selection tactic as v Mayo in last years QF Dublin would have seen the game out handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭billyhead

The likes of McCarthy and McCaffrey should have been coming on with 20 mins to go.

Must have been a boost for Galway when they saw the players coming to replace the lads being called a shore .I suppose at half time they were proberly happy knowing we had our best out that wouldn't last and they were only four points down .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Evidence of Dublin's regression was seen before yesterday yet was talked down by some in media who thought Dublin was pacing themselves. Manner that they allowed Derry win the league final, only beat Louth in the Leinster final by four points, took 65 minutes to put Roscommon away and lucky to get a draw against Mayo.

Next year or two may also show are they on the slide whereby they'll fall right back into the pack, I think 9 of their starting team was in their 30s yesterday the same talent isn't coming through at underage level as before and Dublin haven't won U20 Title the last four years.

That's it. Psychologically it gave Galway a boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭corny

Yeah but who's to say we wouldn't have won with a sprinkling of younger talent in the team last year. I don't know why a rebuild is necessarily seen as a regression. I don't see it that way.

I like the look of some of Dublin's younger players. It really wouldn't take many of them in the team to give us a balance of youth and experience. Let's not forgot we lost by one point to a highly committed team who are arguably the third best in the country at the moment. We weren't well off it ala the old Tyrone team V Dublin in 2011.

A really good manager would have managed that transition better. Dessie has spent two seasons talking about passing the baton only to pick a team with an average age over 30 and with the youngest player being 26.

Well we will never know if we would have won last year with a few different players but as we only scraped home it's likely the experience played a big part in those final minutes. Unfortunately that experience went missing last evening in those final minutes.If Dessie stays on he will have to bite the bullet for the league start the best younger lads if he can and leave them in place and see how it goes from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Galway also had senior players Walsh and Kelly going off, replaced by less experienced subs.
    It didn’t seem to give Dublin a boost.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I know if I was a tired Galway back.I would much prefer seeing Jack McCaffery coming off than Jack McCaffery coming on.

Another thing I was thinking about was the way the Dublin starting changes were announced was weird not the usual like for like replacements. As if it was a rushed last minute thing by Dessie? I might be reading too much into that, I don't know.

He has no choice now (if he is still there). I think a new manager is the way to go with a rebuild job like this. Give the next fella five years (unless there is a complete disaster).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Gael85

How is it too soon for him? Dessie never managed at senior inter county level when he got the job. Also you would have to think with the Vincent's connection Gilroy might come back into the fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭MFPM

Hard to see Farrell staying and given there will be a number of retirements it's a good time to make a fresh start.

Ger Brennan, Jason Sherlock are obvious shouts, Mick Bohan clearly wants the job too - are there other obvious choices?

Don't think there is anyone in his backroom that would step up and with respect to Jason and Declan Darcy etc it would be a no thank you from me .Don't think Ger would leave Louth this soon and will see how he gets on now with raised expectations there now .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

All good things come to an end. Disappointing way for an era to go out.

However, Galway are a good team, better than Mayo, have been very unlucky with injuries over the last half-decade. We didn't play well on the day.

Cluxton, Fitzsimons, McCarthy, Mannion, McCaffrey, don't expect to see those five again. Wonder if Fenton and Kilkenny will have the motivation to go again. Have never believed that Costello was quite good enough, Dean Rock badly missed.

We could see nine or more of those starting players gone next year.

O'Hanlon, McMahon, Clancy, Newcombe, Gannon, Murchan, Murphy, Lahiff, Howard, Bugler, McGinnis, McGarry, Basquel, O'Gara, O'Dell will all be still around. Would be a very different team.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Trey13

The issue with that list of players is that very few of them are top level in my opinion. Howard and Murchan have proved they are, but I think the jury is out on the rest. Bugler, Basquel, Gannon and Murphy have shown their quality in fairness but it's a different level when they will now be the leaders of the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Oh, I see a few years where we will be glad to be winning Leinsters. That team won't win an All-Ireland in its current state, will have to gain experience, but it will still be top 8 in the country. A fresh managerial look at what's available together with some overlooked players and it might be better.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

this was the turning point for me, play on, then a few seconds later he stopped play indicating a head injury. He has to restart with a throw in. Then 30s later he indicates a free, then 30s later he gives a yellow. There is nothing in the rules for him to re refereee a decision that I’m aware of, especially not when he was closest. We played very badly but there was still a lot went against us in second half decision wise which got the momentum going for Galway. Its always been that way that we needed a few points to go ahead of the referees leaning toward the underdog but you can’t always have that extra in the tank.

The losing of the game though was starting the strongest team but not putting Galway away early on, tapping over goal chances etc. we needed to be far out of sight with that tactic. We badly missed Gannon, and should have had a few different younger lads on in my opinion. O’Callaghan was definitely hit in the side just as he kicked but they are seldom given, there is a great shot of it in one of the papers. An attempted ‘block’ 2 meters from the ball.

Advertisement