Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,871 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I disagree.

If bin collection was a public utility the bin companies wouldn't be able to use us as pawns in their game to extract money.

Also while LPT is not as progressive as tax on income or wealth you do pay more depending on the value of your asset.

Bin charges are standard and have no waiver for the less well off.

I'm not sure there were many saying the companies wouldn't try to increase charges.

I was always making the argument that we needed more information and it wasn't forthcoming.

Now that "unnamed sources" are working the system I don't like the way it's going.

I meant that as the scheme gets established I expect people will increasingly return for the deposit leaving very little in green bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭howiya

Why wait till then? We could be hitting our targets now if the waste companies were allowed in on the act.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Working the system? You mean like the way Re-turn worked the system to grab €15 million from the refuse collections? How is that not a game to 'extract' money from the system and why haven't you a post up to this point criticising them for doing so?

You've no coherent point here.

There's no LPT waiver for the less well off. There's a very limited set of exemptions and for some of those exemptions e.g. unoccupied, or paying commercial rates, they are not going to have a private bin contract either.

Bin charges are not standard either, they vary by provider and by usage.

If you are talking about LPT being progressive, then implicitly you are accepting the point that if bin collections were run by councils, that the loss of funding from the recyclables resale would have to be made up elsewhere. Either that's an increase in LPT or cutting spending elsewhere.

Re-turn has declared that they form part of its funding structure. Why don't you ask Re-turn therefore what their expected revenue per annum is from this source? This is not some theory invented on this thread that these items have value. A value has been put on them of €15 million in an article in a major national newspaper.

It is therefore entirely reasonable and legitimate, for the purposes of this thread, to state that Re-turn is going to lead to increases in bin collection charges, to make up that shortfall, for which we have a reasonable assessment of €15 million. That assessment stands until there's credible figures to the contrary. And going off on a tangent about privatisation changes that not a jot.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

You could be right, for another while maybe they would collect a good few.

However in the longer term I can't see people continuing to throw €3 or €4 a week into the bin and pay the bin company to take it away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm officially moving to beer in glass bottles. Had about 30 cans yesterday (built over the last week on holiday) at lidl and every second one I had to give 3 or 4 attempts at putting in. I think I've figured out that there may be issues with the physically smaller bar-codes

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a great idea, but it's very poorly implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭howiya

I don't see people's attitudes changing. I wouldn't be throwing my own money in the bin but plenty of people seem happy enough to do it. Re-turn are banking on only 90% of items being returned so they agree somewhat.

I know there was a load of back and forth over whether or not it is a deposit or price increase recently, and for the record I agree that it is a deposit, but a lot of people just see it as part of the cost of their shopping. Another price increase, a scam, a green tax etc…

Those people aren't changing their minds anytime soon.

And if it does become the case that there isn't enough in the green or any other colour bin because compliance has increased you can bet that Re-turn will be the first ones with the hand out lobbying for an increased deposit because the unclaimed deposits aren't sufficient to fund the scheme. Bin companies would also see a rise in revenue if they were allowed claim back deposits in such instances.

The objection to the involvement of bin companies is not on any environmental grounds. It's very clear that Re-turn don't want to share the pie.

Bin companies would also see a rise in revenue if they were allowed claim back deposits in such instances.

I don't think there's anything stopping bin companies from taking the aluminium or plastic drinks containers and claiming the 15/25c at the local lidl. Or even joining the scheme as a return-only vendor and getting machines into the base and getting the extra 2.2c as well, only catch is the cans can't be crushed

There is a world of difference between a DRS system set up after public consultation and established under legislation and unnamed sources working the media as part of their campaign to get compensation.

I wouldn't regard anything in the Independent article as set in stone.

What is entirely reasonable and legitimate for the purpose of this thread is to state that the bin companies are looking for compensation.

We don't know what the final figure will be or who will pay it.

If you check back you will find posts where I have criticised various aspects of the system to date.

I don't hate Re-turn and DRS as much as many others but I've never claimed everything in the garden is rosy.

Ah grand, so under this public consultation, and in such a transparent setup, we should see the expected funding amount form the recyclables? Well, so where is it?

You know that the bin companies were using the recyclables to as part of the funding for their operations.

You know that Re-turn are now using the recyclables to funding for their operations.

It is clearly a significant sum, or Return would not have listed it as one of their categories of funding.

It would be utterly disingenuous therefore to pretend that the loss of recyclables would not have a impact on the bin companies, such that they would need to recoup the losses from elsewhere - either compensation from the government, or increased charges.

And that 'loss' would apply whether the collections were run publicly or privately.

Come back to us when you have some actual information, from reputable sources.

Until then:

It is therefore entirely reasonable and legitimate, for the purposes of this thread, to state that Re-turn is going to lead to increases in bin collection charges, to make up that shortfall, for which we have a reasonable assessment of €15 million. That assessment stands until there's credible figures to the contrary. And going off on a tangent about privatisation changes that not a jot.

• Advertisement

You are claiming that unnamed sources in the Indo is somehow kind of reputable.

The bin companies are threatening to take even more money from their customers but they are the good guys?

I'll be knocking around for a while longer.

By the looks of things this will run and run.

Who reduced it to the level of 'good guys' and 'bad guys'?

How does that language change anything with regard to the bin companies losing a significant source of revenue that partially funds their operations? And the impact that loss will have on consumers?

There's no magic wand that can be waved to make up that shortfall. The money is gone to fund Re-turn. It is no longer funding kerbside collections, whoever runs it.

It is clearly a significant sum, or Re-turn would not have listed it as one of their categories of funding. Re-turn could just come out, in the interests of transparency, and state what their expected income is from that source.

So for now, we have a figure, in a reputable national newspaper, quoted at €15 million.

That is the figure I will be using discussing the scheme, and that is the foundation for the figure.

We'll see, perhaps I have too much faith in Irish consumers.

It's a bit early to be considering an increase in the deposit and I hope it doesn't happen.

My language is quite temperate in comparison to many anti DRS posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭jj880

A week ago it was please stop pointing out how crooked Re-Turn is on such a lovely day. Go have a nice stroll and get an ice-cream.

Today its: bin men bad guys! 🤣

Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,163 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Did anyone really think that this wasn't going to happen?

This is what happens when you privatise a public service. The private company will only care about its bottom line, everything else can be damned, especially the public. And if the bottom line is going to be affected in a negative way be something, then you can bet the house that the prices will rise.

We should never have privatised our waste management, especially to cunts like the Buckley's, who don't even pay taxes in this country.

One day people will cop on.

@howiya It's very clear that Re-turn don't want to share the pie.

Of course they don't. What you have here are two private enterprises competing against each other and any dent in their profits is not going to be entertained.

It's all about the bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,940 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I have a solution for the problem of someone with hundreds of cans and bottles at a machine. If that was me and someone came along with a small bag, I would just print out the receipt for what I had fed in already, and let them go ahead. Then resume my feeding. I know everyone here would do the same.

I think it is sensible anyway to print out a receipt after say every 50. The shops can't refuse to honour multiple receipts. I only say that based on a couple of stories I read here about machines going belly up just as people were completing massive numbers. I never had any bad experience with a machine myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If only everyone was ever so considerate - so far its all been about them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭jj880

Where did @BoardsBottler go?

Maybe a fortune made and feet up in the Caribbean now.

• Advertisement

It's a bit like letting someone go in the checkout queue.

Only today I was in a queue with just two items.

The person in front with what looked like a weekly shop waved me through.

I said thanks and waited in line and then they tapped me on the shoulder and said till 3 is opening so I was off expressing thanks again.

It's nice to be nice 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Lol, you cant be serious. Cans or bottles needs to be nearly in pristine condition to be accepted at return machine. Waste collectors use compacting lorries which make your idea completely unviable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Can shop refuse to cash re-turn machine receipt? I hear stories that one of the big ones is trying to refuse to cash receipt and offer people to load money on their gift cards.

I've heard stories of shops refusing, but I haven't seen it yet myself and I usually only have a small bag to get rid of, and I just subtract the receipt from my payment at the till. My most expensive item would be an 8 pack of Guinness, which works out at a €1.20 extra charge with Re-turn's added pricing and I don't consider that to be something to be Blaise about. But, shop refusals seem to be just another layer of hassle for the punter that is at the heart of the problems with all of this nonsense.

What should have happened with this scheme was that machines should have been made available on the street or in shops that accepted ANY can or plastic bottle regardless of whether it had a special bloody mark on it or not. The whole exclusive nature of this and the scanning bullshit had made it a real pain in the arse for everyone. Coupled with the fact that there's a monetary hook to all of it means there's a genuine distasteful nature to the whole thing as well.

At the end of the day, this is all about someone making money and it has nothing to do with our environment.

They are supposed to give cash or deduct the value of the receipt from a purchase.

What shop is refusing ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bah. Machine in LIDL East Wall rejecting all bottles and cans with a variety of errors, so don't bother going there in the immediate future. Aldi the other side of the road working, just rejected one.

I can confirm that I have been to all 5 major supermarkets in few months, Tesco, Aldi, Lidl Dunnes, and Supervalu. All have taken the receipts and given cash without a purchase

The % to which machines were working effectively is the real issue and is at about 60%. Dunnes were the most reliable machines.

More difficult, certainly, yes, completely unviable is a bit of a stretch though

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Shan Doras

I witnessed the other day that someone in the q in front of me had a voucher but the teller told them that there was a problem with the system, they weren't scanning and basically come back another day.

• Advertisement

I've been to all except Aldi.

What I find unusual is the number of complaints about Lidl.

They have stores in other countries and have been doing DRS for years and they also did trial runs here.

Like you I've found Dunnes best and they didn't have the advantages Lidl had.

Advertisement