Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options
1332333334335336338»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Don't feed the trolls.

I was able to buy 1 adult and 2 juvenile on Ticketmaster earlier.

Juvenile tickets only available in certain sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Jason back in the squad.

Good to see McGee and McColgan back. Will be interesting to see if McGee starts.

Let's face it, losing on Sunday would be up there with the 2020 Ulster Final, in which many who play on Sunday also featured.

We have sailed close to the wind in the Ulster Semi Final and Final and of course were ambushed in Cork. But I doubt Jim will leave anything to chance on Sunday and have no fear we won't get to the pitch of the game from the throw in.

It's a brilliant opportunity to get to the last four. We're in bonus territory but let's double down now we're there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

some win for Galway. Blows it wide open. If we win today I think we have Galway in semi final as Armagh have played us and Galway, and we’ve played Derry as well

We'll take it. Not sure what to make of it.

Our shooting efficiency was very good. And that was probably the difference. Louth had lots of chances.

First semi final since 2014 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Congrats but ye got the easiest draw. I fancy a Galway vs Kerry final.

A competent performance. We did enough to win comfortably but you would hope that there is more in the tank.

Mogan is a nailed on All Star but McGonagle has developed into our most important player. His reading of situations is excellent and he is linking defence and attack.

We badly need Jason back. We have a real chance if we can nurse him through the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

moore mogan ,mcgonagle all have to be in the all star picture , , ryan mchugh is in the foty category

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

Here we are now.

Didn't think we'd be in this position again for a long time. Even with Jim coming back, didn't think this group had it in them. Well, they did.

It's a fascinating match up, 2 teams with very different styles, and that's what makes for a good fight.

Was thinking about match ups and if everyone from Galway is fit don't see how we can mark their dangermen with the usual starting 15. Was half thinking would we do something mad like start Stephen McMenamin and put him on Comer. He's not been the player he promised to be once upon a time - anyone remember the job he did on Clifford in 2019? Jim has been giving him some minutes. But, I guess we will see a full back line of Moore, McCole and EBG. On the Examiner podcast this week, they wondered if Galway would man mark Ryan and Mogan. They reckoned McDaid would be the man for Mogan.

Cleary, what we saw against Louth won't be good enough. As Liam Sheedy once said, we'll need to put on the overalls on Sunday. Canavan made a good point on the RTE podcast, this team might have better footballers than the 2012 team but there were stronger characters on that team - I agree fully.

Galway will probably press our kick out to keep Ryan and Mogan from getting on the ball. We know Patten can beat the press so we'll need a huge game from midfield up. If McGee is fit surely he plays, but it doesn't sound good. He was togged out v Louth but didn't take much part in the pre-match.

On their kick out, hopefully we can force them to go short and into the sort of meltdown that cost them against Armagh.

We have had the edge on them in Championship prior to the arrival of he who I won't name, but going back further, they have beaten us in 2 semi finals. There are some good/tough stories from 1983.

I can't wait now. Can't be there in person, I sure didn't expect us to be playing football in July.

PJ might well regret letting Jim into their training a while ago. Am fascinated to see what Jim will do. When writing in the IT last year, he had Galway as his dark horses for the All Ireland. His review of the Armagh game is an interesting read (it's behind the paywall).

I'm not that confident. I think Galway have been building and despite a few setbacks along the way, their trajectory has been towards the All Ireland. They've had very little easy this year, even against Sligo. If it's a close game, I don't think they'll panic. Their 2nd half against Dublin probably trumps anything we've done this year.

But, there's nobody else I'd want to see on our sideline plotting a way to win on Sunday.

Until victory, always.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Kicked that one away, very disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Poxy goal like 1983. Looked gassed with ten minutes to go. Great season but bitterly disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Very poor last quarter from Donegal proved fatal .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Jizique

Very surprised that a Jim team would be gassed, really strange

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Disappointing end but after a brilliant year, no complaints. We clearly struggled in attack in the last 20 minutes. Apparently we were playing into a wind in 2nd half so that might explain so many shots into keepers hands. Also They looked very tired toward the end, more so than Galway. In Jim’s first stint the improvement in strength, conditioning, speed and stamina between year 1 and 2 was huge so I would hope he can repeat that. Whether that potential is there this time remains to be seen.

WRT to kick outs I’ve been saying all year that I think we drop off for most- our press isn’t that effective and we’ve been conceding a lot of easy scores off opposition kick outs due to being out of position, whereas when we get our defence set we are much harder to break down. Just seems to me we’re losing more than we’re gaining pushing up on kick outs.

Personally I would rather have had mcbrearty on the pitch at the end when we were struggling for scores- he has a great track record of coming on the loop and kicking clutch scores in these situations.

Daragh O Baoile and Niall O Donnell have had a disappointing drop in form-when you think of the scores they kicked in the Ulster final we could have done with a couple of those down the stretch today.

Given we got out of jail against Tyrone and Armagh can’t really complain when we ran out of luck today.
    Im sure I’m not the only one who can’t wait for next season

Thought Morgan was poor today but will probably still get his all star. Langan, McCole and Gallen have to be contenders as well, though obviously they won’t all get in.

Finally, Congratulations to Galway. Fully deserved and I’ll certainly be shouting for them in the Final🤞🙏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Croke park can have that effect especially when pressure of a semi final is at stake. The inefficiency of our play has got to be analyzed. We can't expect key point scorers to be endlessly running up and down the field. Ryan and Mogan didn't have the power or pace to break the tackle. Our half forward line was wiped out in the second half. Also, we inexplicably pushed up on every Galway kick out in the first half leaving ourselves very vulnerable to quick ball which Galway didn't take advantage of. All the same we were in the game up until the 62 minute. Ban Gallagher going off was a huge blow. Our subs contributed little.

All in all a great season. One which we wouldn't have dreamt of last July. If we could uncover three or four more athletic players to add to the panel if would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Think it said more about the fitness and conditioning of Galway. In the Quarter final v Dublin and we all know how fit Dublin are they looked gassed also in the final quarter and that was rested Dublin team while Galway played their 3rd match in 14 days.

Good year of progress for Donegal. In term 1 of Jim Donegal also lost All Ireland semi final and won the All Ireland the following year, stranger things has happened if history repeats itself and 2025 championship should be wide open with plenty of challengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Our forwards struggled yesterday, especially second half. Oisin didn't play to the level we know he can and we didn't get the same return from Ryan and Peadar that we have been getting all year. You would also have to concede that our bench didn't have the impact we needed when introduced. As harpsman rightly said, Daire and Niall O'Donnell both lost form at the wrong time, it happens. However their replacements in the starting 15 didn't improve the team so hopefully Jim can add a few more to the panel for next year.

On the positive side, Langan was immense yesterday, really showed leadership and courage. McCole also came of age and won his battle with Comer. Also Moore has been a great find this year.

Finally, hats off to Joyce, he comes across as a real gentleman. I was very impressed the way he sought out the Donegal players after on the pitch and had a few words for them, plus his comments to the media after were very gracious. Best of luck to Galway in the final.

Ps. Saw it on Twitter, 2011 in his first year in charge, Donegal won Division 2, won Ulster and lost the AI semi by 2 points. This year in his first year back in charge, Donegal won Division 2, won Ulster and lost the AI semi by 2 points. Let's hope his second year is as good second time around.

I couldn't be there on Sunday and wasn't able to watch as intently as I would have liked, but to me, some of what I saw in Cork was our downfall again.

Sure, Galway had success from their long kick outs, but not many were clean - they were quicker and more aggressive to the breaks. Also, we relied too much on points from distance, and when it comes off, it's brilliant, but it's not sustainable. We needed to find a way to break through the well organised Galway defence to take higher percentage chances. No doubt that we were beaten by a very good team.

Even with that, a jammy goal and easy enough chances missed by Thompson and Gallen could be said to be the difference. Disappointed that Conor O'Donnell wasn't fit as he has the ability to take points from the kind of distances we needed to, and I'm not sure why we didn't see Jamie Brennan at some stage as he can offer something different

Most seasons end with a defeat. What a year it was. Huge credit to Jim and the players for the massive improvement on 2023 and hopefully this is the start of something great. Jim knows though, this was a great opportunity and the road back to a semi final is long and hard.

Hopefully we can build in this in Division 1 but staying up will be tough. No disaster to go down but I think it would be a lift to the players to stay up.

Advertisement