Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Getting about a 43FPS Average now with some going up to 60 in less crazy locations. Will check it in a heavy battle later if/when I find time and see if the issue is totally fixed or not. Find me some Rune Bears.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Cordell

The lack of support for DLSS and Reflex on a game that's so focused on quick reactions, 60fps cap and generally poor graphical quality and performance is something they can only get away with simply because the game is so fkin good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The game’s pretty poorly optimised across the board so even the highest end machines are likely to get stutter and drops. Though I think a 3070 tier card should be able to get closer to 60 with ray tracing off.

My understanding from Digital Foundry is the only real way to play the game with a steady frame rate with limited dips is to play the PS4 version on PS5, which has a lower resolution and therefore runs smoother on the machine than the native app 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It does seem to be running worse that when I initially played it. I was getting constant 60 fps other than shader stutter. Now the game is dropping into the 50s in random places.

On PC you have full control over resolution if that's the compromise you're willing to make.

Also there's this, I don't know if it's still there and it's been years since I tried it:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5280/~/how-to-enable-nvidia-image-scaling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,798 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Decided to go to the jagged peak and take on the boss again, beat him this time and Igon survived it, if that voice actor isn't nominated for the game awards later this year, then it's a bigger shenanigans than it already is.

Thanks Retro, went back and got his goodies.

Also swapped Bayle heart for a dragon incantation that doesn't need Fai, just high arc which i have. Is an amazing spell but i might be missing how to make it more powerful, could 1shot a sheep but a pack of wolves were unfazed by it. A dragon magic rebuild is tempting.

For now I'm gonna take a break from it and go back to Cyberpunk which is such a relaxing game compared to this. I know it's a hot take but this dlc should be in game of the year running.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I know they said pre-launch that the DLC was about the size of Limgrave & Weeping Peninsula, but it's absolutely massive in scale. It probably does take as long as Limgrave/WP because in your first playthrough of the game you probably do spend 20-30 hours in that area figuring out the game, whereas in the DLC you already have a build and know how the game works.

But considering what you get out of this DLC, absolutely it should be in GOTY contention.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I enjoyed Shadow of the Erdtree, its a very good expansion of the main game but I think the rave reviews are a little overdone, it just felt more of the same as the base game which is by no means a bad thing, but it didn't really bring anything new to the table from a gameplay perspective.

You can't improve perfection.

It's kind of hard to see what they could have added which wouldn't otherwise break the game, especially as you can hop back and forth between the DLC and main game, and the DLC can be done before finishing the main game.

It's more of the same, but also a few new weapon types, skills/ashes/spells, and new boss fights which is one of the main appeals of this type of game.

I think DLC doesn't always have to do or add anything significantly huge or different, so long as once you've finished what it does provide, you feel like it was a worthy addition to the game. To me, Shadow of the Erdtree absolutely meets that expectation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Agree with Penn. I think Elden Ring is the pinnacle of the Dark Souls type combat. I am not sure if they can add anything else to it.

I’d personally like to see them try something different next game (bit like how they experimented with Sekiro)

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Don't get me wrong, its a great DLC, it just didn't have the same impact on me as the base game. Been there, bought the T-Shirt.

What they needed to do was replace torrent with a motorbike and a 3rd estus flask you use to refuel it.

Anyway, i only found the below a couple of days ago looking for the finger print shield. Could not believe what i had done across, absolutely incredibly haunting area and the violin player was the cherry on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

When I first read Eurogamer's review I thought it was a well written piece. But on a subsequent reading, after having finished the game, I really don't think it is.

She spends two and a half paragraphs, out the total of 14 paragraphs, bemoaning the game's official messages as unnecessary signposting. Fair enough, they are a bit awkward and out of place in a From game, but the review gives the impression that they're going to be everywhere. I came across three of these instances in a 50+ hour playthrough.

She also gives the impression that she was quite time bound with comments like 'but frankly I didn't have the time to commit to that. My priority here was seeing as much of Shadow of the Erdtree as I could, and so to this end I mostly stuck with variations of what I knew.'
    Coupled with her exasperation with the difficulty with some of the bosses, the pressure from her deadlines seemed to have negatively affected her enjoyment of the game.

Even the lack of multi-player and lack of messaging, due to the early review window, seems to have heavily contributed to the low score as she states 'I know in my heart that finishing Shadow of the Erdtree will be a very different, more joyful experience when I can play with functioning multiplayer, because navigating an open-world Souls game without that key component is the most pleasureless kind of masochism, which is
    extremely not for me.'. If you know that systems, fairly fundamental to your enjoyment of the game won't be functioning properly before release, maybe you should hold off on reviewing the game until they are.

The game DLC isn't flawless, but when the review chooses to ignore or take for granted so much of the DLC's gameplay, that made Elden Ring the GOTY, and focuses on the above points, it's difficult not to see it as contrarian.

Post edited by ahnowbrowncow on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can't really blame her for that. It just seemed that she didn't have enough time to review it properly and I've been in a review cycle a few times before and there's nothing that will destroy your enthusiasm for a game than being forced to play it. I'd put the blame on the publisher here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think it’s an excellent, well considered review that makes very few points I’d disagree with (not that agreeing with a review is necessary to appreciate or respect it). It’s undeniable IMO that a lot of the signposting (and even mechanics) is oddly inelegant relative to the rest of Elden Ring - even taking into account the game’s tendency towards occasional over-obtuseness, there’s been plenty of times in the DLC I’ve encountered a developer signpost or note that’s pretty clunky or atonal. And while I haven’t tried the final boss yet, this very thread shows many people have found it more frustrating than enjoyable, which is the main issue articulated in terms of difficulty.

I still think it’s a wonderful, compelling DLC with moments of remarkable beauty, strangeness, discovery and challenge. I even prefer some of the denser, vertical level design here than the more sprawling plains of the base game. But if I was to score it, it’d be a solid 4/5 - and I’d have few qualms with anyone going a point below or above that based on their own experience (or even a few points below, if it was argued robustly and honestly enough). The Eurogamer review is still positive on the whole, and its criticisms are genuine and well articulated ones from someone who clearly both understands the series and cares deeply about these games.

Abyssal Woods weren’t as bad as feared - some unpleasantness and an unsettling atmosphere, but some careful sneaking avoided any major disruption (though I took down one or two of the nasty lads).

Midra went down on my first attempt - I think the only major boss (other than the old dragon before Bayle) I managed that with in the DLC. Good fight but felt like there was a lot more breathing room relative to some of the other bosses, and even had a few flasks to spare.

So I think that’s all the major areas at least explored and major bosses down, so onwards to the finale. I’m +14/+8/lvl 180 and hopefully don’t need to do too much more Scadutree hunting.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

How do you kill those things? I lost a disgusting amount of runes because of them

You can parry them - not an ability I used very much in this game 😅

See, I was going good down there, nice and stealthy until i got to my 2nd enemy, for inpatient and thought ah I'll just leg it, how bad could it be 😂

• Advertisement

My worst was sneaking through the bushes, nice opening to get to the next bush, crouch-sprinted towards it.... turned out the next bush already had an occupant. F*cking rat came out and started attacking me which then drew the Lantern's attention.

Only time I died to them though. It's not too bad, they're limited to a few small sections and pretty easy to sneak past (though it does feel incredibly odd in the game to basically not be able to fight an enemy).

Funny, one thing I did learn from the Eurogamer review was you can just equip the sneaking talisman and get past them easy - and there’s a developer message on the ground to reaffirm that 😅

It does feel weird though in a world where you take down beasts about 20 times your size that you need to turn into Solid Snake to avoid a few lanterns

And, somewhat unexpectedly, I am done.

Can only echo previous sentiment that the last boss is a horrible bin fire of a fight. Reached him last night and it was immediately clear my build wasn't going to cut it. So did some research and respecced into a Bloodfiend's Arm blood build. Only then could I really get down to the fight. Got there in the end.

The second phase is, frankly, horseshit. The seemingly endless combos followed by massive AOEs is a nasty combo in and of itself, but the visual overload - from flashing holy attacks to useless fake Radahn's rushing you to distract you - is exhausting, and even tank the frame rate at times. Some attacks just don't seem fully avoidable, and then you barely have a window to heal.

Half the battle is getting the Mimic Tear out successfully. I got it down relatively well by the end, and was willing to summon even if it meant taking a hit to do so, but there's only small windows to do it and many attempts end before they even begin.

In the end, RNG smiled in my favour, and barely had a second phase at all. The Mimic got caught in Miquella's grasp after one or two short combos, giving an opening. Timed my charge attack just right to hit when the animation ended, and then had just enough time to get in one more and stun him. That was enough of a window for myself and the Mimic to just whack him with the club and he was down before he got a chance to unleash any of the ultra-bullshit moves.

Always a shame to have to respec for one of these bosses IMO, but if From's going to throw bullshit my way I will respond with all the bullshit I can muster :) Even then it's a slog of a fight, and even though it was probably only around 2-2.5 hours worth of attempts in the end (not as bad as Melania) it was more relief to be done with it than satisfaction. As I think @Penn said earlier, I could try that another 50 times and not be guaranteed a win.

Anyway: bad final boss, great DLC. Messmer should have been the finale, no matter if that doesn't make story sense :)

Yeah that's one thing I'm not sure I discussed, I respecced a few times trying out different builds and weapons. I was worried about running out of or having to farm runes and stones for upgrading weapons, but what I should have been worried about was I ran out of Larval Tears. I guess I'd used a good few in the main game anyway, but got down to my very last one for my last build.

Read later that there are Larval Tears in the DLC, but they only show up at night which is probably how I missed most of them in my playthrough, so stocked up on a few more.

But yeah the final fight kind of negates a lot of builds. I have no idea how you'd be supposed to get spells or incantations out if you were a magic build (especially with the difficulty in using a summon to pull aggro), the speed of his attacks negate a hell of a lot of ashes of war and weapon skills, and the AoEs mean you can barely get space to hit any sort of decent attack. And most of the time you do get a gap, you likely have to choose between getting a hit or two in or healing. It's why I think unfortunately, the boss was designed with difficulty in mind above all else. A huge health pool, few known or exploitable weaknesses, and the speed, damage and then added AoEs in Phase 2, with all the visual noise that accompanies it…. it's a real shame in terms of design imo. I don't mind Messmer being a more minor boss and I like the decision they made story-wise and even just for the spectacle of the final fight, but damn dude you can't have both huge and quick chains of attacks, and then add in AoEs on top of that. Maybe for the final hit, but on pretty much every swing of the weapon? Get ta f*ck!

Yeah I didn't find many or any Larval Tears in the DLC either AFAIK, but had five in my inventory when I went to respec. Had used a good few to respec in the base game, including for Melania IIRC. Only ended up needing the one here, and changed back to my main build after the fight anyway just in case I want to revisit at any point.

Even when wielding a giant club two handed for the final boss, one of the problems was even getting close enough for a guaranteed connection. The Mimic being aggroed was the best opportunity, but sometimes the combos were so fast that he'd be too far away for my carefully timed hit to connect. It's just a relentless battle of attrition, where you really need everything to go your way in order to succeed. Almost welcomed the bullshit holy AOE he does (the one where he rises into the air and hits what seems to be 2/3rds of the arena) because at least I knew I'd survive it with a full or 3/4 full health bar and have a brief healing window, which is more than I could guarantee with other combos.

Yeah I actually found that big AoE at the start of Phase 2 to be the best time to summon Mimic, because I knew it was survivable, the Mimic's health wouldn't be affected by it because it was still forming, and I could heal for both the summon and AoE and get going for Phase 2.

• Advertisement

Did you not find the mimic gets wiped out by the second big AOE regardless whenever you summon? I never witnessed the mimic making it the end

Advertisement