Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread Nov 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Off topic but slightly related, there is a radio advert I hear everyday from Instagram for their family tools that they have added. It goes something like "Do you want to agree with your daughter who can follow her? Or do you want to teach your son how to interact appropriately online? Then use instagrams new Family tools".

I despise the ad because it insinuates daughter=victim, son=potential predator.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Never thought I'd agree with Ciara but she was spot on the other morning.

"The drugs people are taking in their nice houses in Ranelagh and where-have-you are all coming in through the Kinahans and the Hutches," she said.

"Are you literally there with your Fairtrade coffee, and your ethical this and ethical that and you literally are pumping money into organised criminals?"

https://www.newstalk.com/news/ciara-kelly-surge-in-women-seeking-treatment-shows-ireland-is-awash-with-drugs-1738420

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

It's toxic masculinity I think. The "masculinity" part refers to the subject, not the person expressing it. It's toxic to assume men shouldn't have concerns and are "insecure" if they express their feelings. Barbara expresses both toxic masculinity and toxic feminity at times because she is simply toxic.

The thing is though, 20 years ago, cocaine was just in Ranelagh(and surrounding areas), today it is in Balina, Balinasloe and Ballincollig. It's everywhere. For some people its a cheaper alternative to booze. The country, the whole country is awash with drugs, not just the leafy suburbs of Dublin.

Missing the point.

It's the hypocrisy of all the right on, progressive, cause du jour, rainbow flag waving, middle class, middle Ireland folks with perhaps an electric car and sipping their fairtrade lattes but oblivious to their funding crime and destroying poorer communities in their own country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's a tired old trope blaming the middle class for the cocaine trade.

All classes use it but the middle class, and by far most people are of that that class, cover themselves in faux respectability. Oh we couldn't possibly do that sort of thing * sips ethical cappuccino

I'm not missing the point at all. I'm just saying Middle class dont live in just Ranelagh anymore.

I grew up in rural Galway and our next door neighbour, (he was 3 fields away, but he was the next door), was so tight he would charge you for the steam off his piss. Same farmer in 2024, goes golfing in Morocco twice a year now. People all over Ireland have gotten a boost in their quality of life, so while coke used to be just for pop stars, its now affordable to most. Its easier to get than alcohol after 10pm, and is more socially acceptable in some circles than getting drunk is. "Sure, its just a bump".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭hold my beer

The war on drugs was lost many years ago. Until the Govt realise this and change tactic, things will continue as they are. People can spout the middle class nonsense all they want, it will change nothing.

• Advertisement

My opinion annoys people because they and their buddies are likely users and the "shur tis no harm" attitude alluded to above, they don't like the mirror being held up. Makes them squirm a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

sure let’s legalise everything and let everyone have as much cocaine, and whatever your having yourself freely, then get behind the wheel of a car, indeed why not behind the controls of the Ryanair you might trust yourself in the care of. Sure why not the surgeon operating on. Tis no harm, if only it were freely available there’d be no problem at all. Nobody would die of heart arrhythmia. Lots of very sensible experts here on the thread waiting for their next delivery of whatever gets them through the night. They only want to be happy and if that comes in brain shrivelling, heart-stopping substances sure the taxpayer can pay the medical bills. Speaking of which you shouldn’t need a prescription of yer Opiates, valium, Librium, whatever. Leave the pharmacy doors wide open. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Clutch those pearls folks, tightly.

Next few years are gonna be fun with smug white collar office types seeking addiction services.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

Shane Coleman on this morning bragging about how many wine bottles he has to recycle, but God forbid anyone smoke a joint in Ireland.

I bet he has one of those Bohemian's Bob Marley shirts too. Now what did Bob Marley want to legalise worldwide?

So sad and predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 rdser

He is obnoxious as a radio presenter. He just cant hide his own views on any topic. His morning sermon on every topic about what he wants, what he believes and what he wants to see done...noone cares shane....

Add that utter plonker jonathan healy into the mix and its worse again, if thats possible.

Their fascination with studys and surveys that are presented as fact every morning starts at 6am with shane beatty and continues right throughout every show is tired at best.

As a journalist he's supposed to editorialise.

Pat Kenny gives his opinions too. I find both of them are usually right.

PK does attempt to place himself in the shoes of others he may not agree with.

Shane, on the other hand, resorts to lecturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,277 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Taoiseach coming up after 11:00 with Anton Savage

• Advertisement

Is today National Visible Tattoo Day on NT or something? Tat discussion being recycled over several shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭leath_dub

They have been doing that for years. On one day about 4 separate shows discussed Bounty bars being removed from boxes of Celebrations

https://share.temu.com/hxlpjEf80IA. Got two packs of these for one cent,one of their many and numerous promotional offers.

Anyhoo a bit scrapy,but on first attempt at least a skin close shave.

https://share.temu.com/hxlpjEf80IA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Wrong thread

Post edited by Azatadine on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Sigma101

" I'm Emily and this is the Entertainment News…"

<Radio OFF>

Haha GAA head wanting free tolls for match days. F off for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Allinall

I agree.

We need the toll companies to make as much profit out of GAA supporters as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

I am sick and tired of them having the same boring conversations about local stupid Dublin issues. It's a national station. I don't give a fly f*ck about how many Gardaí they see on the streets or whatever. Cork got 1 Garda from the latest batch of 100 graduates. Never mentioned

They'll surely discuss this boring poxy car ban another 3 times before the week is out as well I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I swear to God, there was a bit about Steve Carell how great he thought Despicable Me 4 (3?) is in the actual news at 9pm this evening. I mean the f_cking on the hour news. Can anyone confirm I didn't imagine this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Bocadilloo

Another Karen on Newstalk lunchtime extolling the virtues of the XL Bully. I don't know where they dig these people up from. Probably paid to stoke debate and outrage. There is no debate to be had here, these are not pets, they need to go end of story. The ability to be able to walk outside your door without fear of being attacked by one of these takes precedence over any ridiculous defense of responsible owners and their model bullies.

Advertisement