Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Inviere

Yeah V, it's gonna test even the most hard line of Trek apologists really. It's got some decent bits....the Cybock & Trio exchange has some weight to it for instance. But it's got some serious cack in it too, dafuq with the Uhura dance for example.

To be fair, it seems Shatner's vision for the film was kinda stolen from under him with budget cuts etc. Though he also had some nuts ideas for it.

Thankfully, the TMP era ends of a damned high note with VI. Wonderful film, a real love letter to everything that came before it (and fittingly, what came after it for a long time too.)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,935 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Star Trek is full of "touching" beams. Tuvix involved a spliced flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah tbf, if the transporter can't handle a bit of skin to skin contact, how's it meant to not mangle your internal organs. Loads of instances in TNG and DS9 where people are seen beaming up carrying injured crew members and the like.

Post edited by Stark on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Handily, some Mormons called to the door earlier so I used some judo and Vulcan Nerve Pinch, and you're right, we had a riot!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,036 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Trailer out for Prodigy season two. Can't sleep its too warm 😞

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I think if you watch no. 5 in the right frame of mind you'll be okay.

It's obvs the worst of the original cast movies but there is a lot of decent stuff in it and some good ideas. I'd suggest reading Shatner's Trek Movie Memories if you get a chance, it really gives you an idea what he was going for

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It is kinda funny how Shatner only even directed the thing in the first place 'cos he was jealous his rival-friend Leonard got two goes at a movie.

I don't doubt there'll be some little nuggets I'll enjoy - I always had a fondness for the Row-Row-Row campfire scene 'cos it gave the trio a chance to be themselves; it's interesting how often McCoy kinda got sidelined in the films just for the Kirk-Spock dynamic, when really the magic formula of TOS was the three characters circling each other, not Kirk & Spock alone. Maybe DeForest Kelly didn't have as large an ego as the other two and was happy to get pushed aside?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

Kelly's age might have had something to do with it, he was ten years older tan Shatner and Nimoy. If I member right Shatner and Nimoy organised a disproportionate fee for Kelly in STVI because it was probably going to be his last acting job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And looked every year of it, even in Voyage Home at a "mere" 66; that's a nice story though about VI and the others looking after him. It's funny how in the great TOS fallouts I'm always here of Shatner, Nimoy and latterly Takei, but never Kelley. Indeed he seemed the least interested in speaking publicly, or preferred to keep a low profile?

66 in the 80's though was so different than today.

• Advertisement

Final Frontier checked off, more out of obligation than intent if I'm honest; and hey to spin it in a positive light, you could see there was a lot of ambition in this thing. The plot was ludicruous but it bopped along from one set piece to another, with plenty of sets, locations and a grander scale than had been seen since TMP. No surprise the studio slashed the budget 'cos compared with prior flicks you could see there was an attempt at a broader scope here.

It was, however, still utter bollix of the highest order: you can't blame Shatner for strikes & studio enforced budget cuts but you can blame him for the absolute mess visible beneath all the extenuating circumstance. Such hubris to demand directing & writing credits 'cos his best friend got 2 chances & noteworthy how Shatner wasn't allowed near the series again. But there's always more to talk about a spectacular failure than underwhelming mediocrity.

McCoy's flashback with his father was quite something and fairly powerful; he had been short-changed through the prior movies so this movie gets praise for pushing the core trio's relationship to the absolute forefront. I still remain baffled at how Uhura's fan dance was ever conceived as a good idea; though hadn't realised or remembered she and Scotty had "something" going on. Pairing up Chekov and Sulu was fun and wish we saw more of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭Rawr

Shatner and sci-fi writing are odd when they’re put together.

After ST:V and being rejected, Shatner proceeded to write books for his Blade Runner clone «Tek Wars» which kind of smacked of him writing a veichle for himself. Sure enough, whenever there was a live-action version of his series, he’d somehow manage to end up on screen.

I think he was trying the same when he wrote a spinoff to ST: Generations called “The Return”, where Kirk is brought back from the dead by Romulans using Borg tech (or some such fan fiction). My guess is he was trying to give the Trek writers a way to un-dead him into the TNG-era…but I guess they weren’t interested :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Inviere

Never knew about his writing of a continuation of Generations....while the legend that is Kirk certainly deserved a better send off than what happened, that 'resolution' sounds like something the writers of Discovery would lick their lips at...

Shatner did a good few Trek novels. Pretty much exclusively featuring Kirk.
    And I guess fair play, it’s an honorable way to earn some cash and add to Trek…but in my head it always smacked of him trying to convince the Trek heads to give him another go, and that this was is main motivation to write, as opposed to the creation aspect. I could easily be wrong, it’s just the impression I get.

Jesus the bottom one is an audio book read by him.

Must take months to get through a chapter.

Oh I don't think Shatner has done anything without it calculated for his own fame and profile; I know they became friends in the end but it must have really got under Shatner's skin that it was Ninoy the heart of the show, but also got to direct 2 of the films. Good job Stewart wasn't so prickly over Frakes' gigantic CV of directing.

I also meant to say that of all the Shatner performances, it was interesting how this was by far the worst. All the tics and ham we know of him was here and then some. No doubt because he was running his own ship and probably received zero good direction and notes.

Oh and William Shatner's Tek Wars; ha! Well that's forever in my mind etched as nothing more than a joke from Father Ted.

Post edited by pixelburp on

I tend to remember Tek War from the selection of banned books at Springfield Elementary:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭flazio

By the way, Prodigy S2 is on Netflix now. Just watched episode 1 of season 2. Make sure you use the double thumb up rating to send a message we want more of this.

I hadn't even realised it got a TV adaptation: sought some clips and wow wow, you don't appreciate just how good SciFi has become 'til you remind yourself how bad it used to be. Bloody 'ell but it was some trash.

It also had a video game in the 90's made on the same Build-Engine that was used on Duke Nukem 3D.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shatner%27s_TekWar

Apparently was an alright FPS game, but it was loaded up with video briefings from Shatner after each mission where he complains about how violent you've been. Seems he couldn't even resist that the temptation to also appear in the game.

Also, it's not just "TekWar - The Game" it's William Shatner's TekWar, signed by him, and with his picture on the box art.

Bloody hell Shatner, we get it already. You made a thing…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,036 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The Concept does not seem too bad and he was ambitious anyway placing it 50 years in the future but my god it looks so bad. Must have been a huge flop.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I'm pretty sure I've seen TekWar but have no memory of it. I think it used to be on late nights on SkyOne in the 90s

EDIT: I just looked up the cast, Von Flores was in the TV series and I rember seeing him and thinking "oh it's Sandoval" (from Earth: Final Conflict)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I'll give this a chance actually, how much time should I give it to get into it's swing? I know it can be hard to establish things up front with a new show. SNW did this PERFECTLY, even DIS started interestingly, so I don't want to judge it too early.

Would you say it's style is close to Lower Decks because that was the lowest point of Star Trek for me. (yes, lower than Dr. Crusher's candle shenanigans)

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

1st: It's a kids show, be prepared for that

2nd: About 3 or 4 episodes. Finds its feet far faster than Lower Decks did, for sure

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

I thought I saw it but looking at photos I definitely haven't because I was sure Shatner played the cop.

I think my brain has just fused T.J. Hooker and Space Precinct into some made up memories.

I was looking up some more probably terrible 90s sci fi on justwatch and Earth: Final Conflict has "Gene Roddenberry's" tacked on to the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Shater played a sort of CEO / Spymaster talking-head in the series. Kind of an all-knowing anti-villian. He had permanent billing on the TekWar TV show and appeared in every episode, but he wasn't the lead.

I watched that at the time and couldn't get into it. The usual poor acting and cheap sets and constant changing to try "make it work". Bit like seaQuest and later Sliders.

Somehow it made five seasons just like the equally bad Andromeda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Probably taking advantage of Canadian tax breaks!

After one of the cast changes I think msin actor was supposed to have Irish connections... Liam Kincaid.

I remember one episode set in Ireland also. With stereotypical bar brawl.

The premise was intereresting alright but hampered by budget limits, fill 22 episodes and need for random shootouts.

It would be interesting to see a limited series that focuses on the core idea.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement