Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Going for this (Bord Gais) due to EI rip off. FYI, if you put in your email on the website without completing a switch, they will email an offer with an extra 3% off. Don't have an EV but should save with the heat pump on during the EV 2am to 5am hours:

Your rates:

Urban electricity annual standing charge: €325.52

Urban electricity day unit rate: 23.38 c/kWh

Urban electricity peak unit rate: 32.60 c/kWh

Urban electricity night unit rate: 17.63 c/kWh

Urban electricity EV unit rate: 5.96 c/kWh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That standing charge is scandalous. Have you tried energypal? Surely there's something better out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

B*alls! Didn't know about the extra 3% for stopping half through. Just switched a few weeks ago. Was worth it here as we have an EV

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Does anybody here know if SSE has this same nasty habit?

I'm planning to go with their fixed dual fuel plan in July, but I want to keep my existing DN meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,258 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Not since I got solar, no. Probably 3-4years+

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

At a loss here I have inputted my HDF file to engerypal and it is showing EI +30% as best value. But bonkers and Switcher are showing Yuno 1 year fixed as best value. Which site do people advise is best to follow advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

Correct me if I am wrong but one analyses your HDF file and can look at your usage in terms of day/night/peak. It assumes your pattern will continue in this manner and calculates your cost for the year based on it. The other asks for a single number for your total usage and makes assumptions to give you an estimated cost for the year.

If the above is true, it seems obvious which is the better one to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,185 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Flogas has €200 cashback on green electricity. Great for low usage people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭uli84

Is EI the only ones where you can be billed monthly or it’s possible elsewhere too?

i submit a meter reading monthly to FloGas and get billed shortly after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭halkar

FYI for existing customers of EI, if you are out of one year contract you can get 150 euro credit to renew. I didn't see this on their website. I saw they have 28% off for contract renewals and called but I was told it won't apply to night saver rates but rep offered 150 euro credit for renewal instead. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭uli84

what rate did EI offered you along with the renewal @halkar ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭halkar

Rates are same, they have 28% discount rates but it doesn't apply to night boost package I am on. My electricity usage is low with heat pump running at night and ev rates anyway so I am happy with the credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Got my first flogas affinity bill after being with yuno. 75 euro for the month. It will be winter i will see the big differnce with the heatpump. We only do cooking between 5-7 and try to do washing and dishwasher on night rate which we never done before but we may aswell try make use of smart meter now that its activated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

There’s an option on bonkers and switcher to include options that aren’t available using their website, most of your options will be hidden by default

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Have SSE Airtricity always had a €100 early contract exit fee, per fuel? Thought they were capped at €50.

Is there an equivalent of energypal for dual fuel?

Thanks.

(Edited for a typo)

Have SSE Airtricity always had a €100 early contract exit fee, per fuel? Thought they were capped at €50.

Its been that way for a long time.

Is there an equivalent of energypal for dual fuel?

As there are no smart gas meters, it doesn't really make sense for one. You need to use energy pal for electricity, bonkers (or other) for gas and then figure out dual fuel from there. Its a bit of effort.

It would be great if energypal could show you the gas rates etc as well but to answer your question, no, there isn't an equivalent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Thanks for coming back Bren2001. Thought I may have missed an easier option!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Hi all my contract with SSE is up in Aug. What's the best way to figure out if it's worth switching? I've filled in some details on bonkers and it's recommending the 1 year smart day night with yuno. There is quite a big discrepancy between the annual estimates bill SSE have sent me and the estimate with yuno. How reliable would this be and has anyone any experience with yuno? No solar panels, EV car or heat pump

if you've an activated smart meter upload your HDF to energypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

I have a smart meter but not a smart meter plan. Would I still be able to get this file from my SSE account?

If you have an unactivated smart meter, on bonkers you select standard tariff, not smart. It will give you the best tariff.

You can download your data from the ESB site but you've to request it donut won't be helpful this year. In a year's time it would be useful to determine if you should switch TK s smart tariff.

For now, select standard tariff on bonkers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Not SSE account but you can sign up for an ESBN account and get it there

I’m not sure how relevant it is for us but the predictions are U.K. fuel prices to rise 10% towards this winter season after a rise in wholesale pricing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,185 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Rustyman101

Anyone any idea how long a smart meter takes to "activate" post fitting?

Was told 30 days that's past spoke to chap on the esb helpline he then said 40 days, tbh I don't think he had much of a clue nice guy n all that.

Seems strange to me, what triggers the activation?

Surely there must be some form of signal/ pairing ?

Anyone any clue ? Tks

I saw the waterpower rise and wasn’t sure if it was a small blip in the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Out of curiosity, has anyone who left Electric Ireland recently with a credit on your account, have ye had to chase them up to send on the refund? Wondering if they're pulling a fast one and not paying it in the hope people forget about it

• Advertisement

I had to request it after the final bill and they issued a cheque, if you paid by direct debit they will refund it to that bank account, took about 10 days after the request and it was all sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cyloncity

I'd like to know this too. Recently switched to a smart meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

yeah 30 days is what esb used to say. they've 2G sims & use this period to establish how good the signal is. meter will then have a communication level, 1-4. if it's really poor i don't think you can sign up to all the smart plans

activated/enabled on this thread & probably most on boards about them, really means that the meter has been put on a smart plan

Yes he seemed embarrassed when he mentioned 2G technology.

Just seems weird that it takes so long to acquire a signal.

I live in an urban area so we will wait and see.

Tks for the reply.

It's not that it takes that long to acquire the signal, mine had data on the ESBN portal within a few days.

They wait for 30 days to see how stable it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭CoBo55

2G is ideal for that sort of stuff, the amount of data being transmitted is tiny.

My usage is up on the Esb portal, but can't sign up to a smart plan yet, will give it a week.

Tks for the replies ever day a school day.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭xboxdad

The SSE 10% price cut didn't seem to happen today after all. "Electricity and gas - Fixed rate" still showing the same 25.10 day / 15.58 night rates as weeks before (VAT incl).

Was waiting for the 1st of July to move over to SSE, but based on this nothing happened for D/N meter users. (yet?)

Update: WebChat confirmed that the price cuts did happen, but the fixed rate offer remained unchanged. So I went with FloGas BWG as it's somewhat better than SSE for my needs.

Post edited by xboxdad on

The fixed rate offer is not on normal their normal rates. But like you I'd suspect them to change them soon. They don't have to though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

just seen in one of the papers your man from bonkers expecting the others to drop soon after SSE today but also mentioning the pso coming back & vat increasing to normal.

if the last two happen bills will be up a bit anyway whatever about unit prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭fafy

The reduced 9% vat on electricity/gas currently ends on October 31st, so as to enable a possible further extension in the budget, which should be early October next, i’d guess they will extend this vat reduction again, as allthough prices have reduced, the reductions have been slow, and prices are still way higher, that what they were pre 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cb123

Couldn't sign up to either of the Flogas Certa or BWG offers. Form failed to submit, presume the offer has expired.

Looking at Energia standard 24 hr plan, anyone know if this is fixed or variable? I presumed fixed until I went over to bonkers to compare the plan and bonkers is says that Energia is a variable rate.

Edit: Upon further reading most plans are now variable - is it worth seeking out a fixed? I do like to a fixed rate, no suprises.

It being an election budget too probably comes into play. Difficult to drop some of the one off measures in the pre election budget - from a political perspective anyway. Can see this VAT reduction being extended, third level fee reduction being done in some form, even if less than the 1000 done last year and year before, the electric credit being done again even if less again than last year and the transport cuts being extended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

I had a problem with the flogas form when using my browser's auto-complete. I typed it all manually like an animal and clicked the "find address" button (editing the business name i live above) and it went through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭fafy

agree, thats a likely result, and they will probably drop, the one off payment measures for Fuel Allowance, to compensate those hardest hit. which were given in 2023 calendar year, and given again in 2024, albeit reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭Guffy

Currently coming off the flogas beg fixed that was suggested here last year.

Is there a simarly best priced plan this year or is it just go to bonkers and find a plan. Yuno energy is the current suggestion.

yuno will always come up fifers because they have it preselected to show only options available to switch and you need to unselect it

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cb123

Ah, didn't even think to try that. Cheers for the reply. Ended up with SSE. Did the calculations with the latest bill and with the 2% cashback from PTSB it worked out very similar. €2 something dearer so not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I'm getting ready to switch, am currently with Flogas and last year's BWG offer. Am using Bonkers.ie to look at my options (I have a Day/Night non-smart meter) and it looks like I can make some decent savings, even more so if I split my Electricity and Gas between two different suppliers.

Any thoughts on whether it's better to go with a fixed rate for the year, or a variable rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'd go fixed if possible. Talk of price increases for the winter already.

I'm looking around as well. I'm up in August with flogas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement