Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should a conviction affect your ability to vote or run?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,185 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

You have to look at it closer than that. Did the paedo-killer act because the courts let him walk free or did he wait until he was out of prison after serving a justifiable sentence?

To the vast majority of people one is more acceptable than the other but to deny that person the right to run would be akin to denying people the right to vote for who they want to run their country.

It would be very easy for democratic backsliding to happen if a law banning anybody from voting or running due to a conviction ever came into effect. Simon Harris could decide in the morning to pass a law banning FF membership, every FF member gets a conviction and therefore can't run against him.

Obviously there should be a requirement for them to be out of prison at the time because otherwise how would they do their job

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

They'd still be a murderer. Either they are taking the law into their own hands or they are acting on revenge. Neither are good characteristics to have in an elected official. In both cases, they are displaying contempt for the law, something which they would be expected to uphold if elected.

I don't believe all convictions should ban people from being elected but murder, sexual assault, robbery, any kind of violence, etc. would be ones for me.

All heinous crimes no doubt… I do think that on the condition that they have served their time in prison and have been rehabilitated they should then be afforded the same rights as every other free person

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

If true, we have an actual serial killer currently sitting in the Dáil.

That article is 12 years old, if true he would surely have been arrested by now and be in prison rather than the Dáil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

He's already served time, wouldn't be a basis to go after him again with the GFA.

If he's served his time what's the issue then?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

He is not a serial killer and men have sat in Dáil Éireann who were responsible for the deaths of far more than 50! You could argue that those who took part in the War of Independence where the legitimate army of the state, but those who took up arms against the state during the civil war most certainly were not and we did not have any qualms about them serving in the Dáil. Now I have no time for him or his type and back in the 80s I'd have been happy to see him shot, but those days are gone TG.

The other side of the coin is should the people be free to choose who they want to represent them or should that right be limited by the state?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

He has not served time for that (because he hasn't been convicted of it, for starters); but as a released prisoner there wouldn't be any realistic chance of prosecution.

But if there is no realistic chance of prosecution, no charges and no arrest, what makes you think he's guilty?

• Advertisement
Advertisement