Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldier beats a woman unconscious, gets a great reference from his commanding officer, avoids jail.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

We're not talking about children. We're talking about adults who simply stood by in this terrible situation.

Have Irish people lost all sense of moral clarity or civic responsiblity so they, like you, see no difference between this cowardly failure when a woman was beaten senseless by a total stranger and the rational behaviour of people who e.g. don't confront an angry but harmless drunk or intervene when a couple is having a row outside a pub.

Do you think all those Irish people, including every member of Dáil Éireann, who applaud Natasha for her courage are hypocrites of the lowest kind because they too would have stood by and watched her being beaten?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I’m talking about children (adult children). I never meant kids. I thought that was obvious. Parents of children. As in older, late teens-adulthood.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Apparently she stood at a pride event in Dublin today and called for hate speech legislation

My instincts about this one have proved correct

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Babyreignbow

Do you mean she just pretended to get a beating so she could become an actor of the state..like Zelensky?

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

This thread has officially jumped the shark.

It's a pity as it was going so well.

• Advertisement

You might have missed my earlier post in this thread where I made clear that I don't answer loaded questions

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭susan678

Correct answer.

However I will give a go at answering the loaded question.

I don't really like this woman and I am very cautious of anybody calling for hate speech laws.

On a civilised level I am free to dislike this woman and disagree with the political message she is trying to push.

HOWEVER violence against this woman for telling a dirty drunken animal to stop loudly abusing another person resulted in her getting beaten within an inch of her life I worry about this ten times more then anything I mentioned above.

I don't have to like or agree with this woman on every issue to agree what happened her was savage and how the defence forces and that judge behaviour was shocking.

I don't think anybody should face arrest for speech but this woman got badly assaulted for using her free speech as adults we should be able to understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Your man Crotty has a lot to answer for. Another media darling, Leftie activist for us all to listen drone on and on.

She had pre-existing authoritarian instincts , like I said you can seperate her horrendous assault experience from her politics and activism

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

And we are, I repeat again

It's possible to seperate her horrible assault experience from her politics,she is keen to push agenda far beyond her assault experience

• Advertisement

People should be free to call a spade a spade not a shovel or a rake.

I agree with you why create laws so we could lock up little grannies for saying something offensive but at the same time let a scumbag f*** at his physical peak walk free for nearly killing somebody because they asked him to stop abusing somebody?

Had Crotty viciously attacked a non progressive activist, there wouldn't be a word about it

It's Savita 2

• Registered Users Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Presumably the idea is that if hate speech laws had been in place the soldier would have been (perhaps only marginally but still) less likely to be shouting homophobic abuse, the action that triggered the whole incident

The way things are going now with the impending hate speech laws here is how things could play out keep his mouth shut he might get in trouble and don't shout so called homophobic abuse instead he would face less trouble from the law by just going over and stamping on the persons head and nearly killing them or worse he could then claim in court the victim said something offensive and he would likely get off free.

We really are living in The Twilight Zone when the state lets violent savages run wild but wants to lock people up for saying something hurtful or not paying their TV licence.

Too much muddying of the waters. Simple: we all as a society should be pushing for harsh and tough penalties for violent people. Proper harsh and tough sentencing to send out a proper message that hurting people will be punished harshly. Right now a lot of nasty bastids are willing to take their chances. We need to remove the likelihood of them taking their chances (again).

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Reading from a phone, I wonder who wrote that 'speech'?

The manner and the way she delivered that speech will cause her to lose sympathy, and very fast.

Pity to see the real issue at hand being hijacked to push a far-left political narrative.

She's a willing participant by the looks of things

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Babyreignbow

If I'm not mistaken she worked in a bar prior to this incident, I imagine her politics are most likely inspired as a result her experience. That's often what happens to people when they become victims of crime. Crotty accused her of instigating the assault, we know now that's not the case and the reality is that he is guilty of 'hate speech' and that would have been the crime she is now campaigning for. A card carrying activist, a real and valid threat to the state.

Personally I think the girl is suffering from trauma as a result of the court case and it will probably be a while before she starts to stabilise. I'd be genuinley concerned that she will be a psychological mess when things go silent, hence the need to maintain interest.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

More likely than your stated scenario is people such as himself would be less likely to shout homophobic abuse. This would mean nobody would have to call out his behavior. If the scenario still happened, he would be charged for both hate speech and the violent assault.

Well that tweet from the a far right nutter is attempting to downplay the assault entirely. Honestly, this is more shining a light on some of the nasty **** that posters on the site are happy to espouse....

• Advertisement

Comments are intersting. Lots wondering how serious all this really was. Querying injuries, effects etc. I said it before, to be expected. Natural human reaction to Natasha. Folks can change very quickly from shock and sympathy to not giving a fook, and disbelieving

I cannot agree with you're post he was already charged and convicted of assault the Judge just let him go without punishment of any kind.

If you don't agree with something somebody says you are free to say so.

Charging people with speech while letting off convicted scumbags like this is obscene.

If this is the way the country is already run we don't need to be given the state more powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

The DPP are appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 86,382 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

There should be a reporter on a permanent basis in every courtroom daily and a website where the public can look up each conviction electronically daily. Even if it gave the convicted persons name as "Mr/Mrs X" (although I'd be on for names as court sittings are publicly available information anyway, but in case there were any objections to a website on the basis of "snooping")

You're absolutely correct the case has drawn attention because of her going public (and fair play to her)

But stuff like this is happening up and down the country DAILY. And not just assaults. All types of crime. And we occasionally get a glimpse with a headline and so on because a journalist happens to have been in that particular court that day.

There's absolutely no wonder why there's headlines about Dublin being a sh hole and people across the country with 100s of convictions once again committing crime.

When on earth is the connection between the two problems going to be made politically?

Full transparency is needed as to what's actually going on. And I'm not talking about going full North Korea on people. But if you have 100 convictions and are out again to commit your 101st, the fact is, if you were in prison, you wouldn't have been free to commit the 101st.

And absolutely throw money at education, work programmes and mental health for those in prison. 1)they're not roaming about committing more crime and 2) there's a chance they'll actually access proper resources. I've absolutely no issue paying extra tax for that.

This soldier had no previous but I'm talking about the consequences for offenders generally. Which this hot topic is putting focus on (before fizzling away again)

If he can behave like he did and get a suspended sentence, sure no wonder there's gangs of young lads on electric scooters/rural burglary gangs/shoplifters/pickpockets/drug dealers in open streets going around causing mayhem for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Time was when the Irish Times [years back] did have a reporter in the courts with a page set aside for reports from the courts daily. Long since gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

From a report in the Journal.ie today on the DPP decision to appeal the sentence passed by Judge Tom O'Donnell on Pte Crotty….. Before sentencing Crotty to a suspended term, Judge Tom O’Donnell, on two occasions, told and asked O’Brien it she knew of the significance of her attacker’s guilty plea. 

The judge told O’Brien that he had “no doubt” that Crotty would lose his job in the Defence Forces if he sentenced him an immediate prison term and that he had taken the aforementioned guilty plea and the fact he had no previous convictions into account.

If the content in the report of the judge's question to the victim is correct and people present at the time in the court heard the judge put the question to the prime witness and victim twice, the question arises on what the judge had in mind in asking that of the victim. Crotty had pleaded guilty on becoming aware of the evidence the Gardai had gathered against him so the only task left to the Judge was to decide on the sentence. The victim has no part in the decision.

Now it's in the lap of the Appeal court to decide on whether the severity of the sentence passed by Judge O'Donnell on Crotty was suitable to the crime he pleaded guilty to.

Advertisement