Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2024: Mod Note Added 2/7/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've never rated Cucurella as anything more than slightly above average. For me he's one of the players of the tournament to this point. I think he might actually be the best so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Playing underdogs in KO Football is never easy, I think we'll see the better side of this England team against the best sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Damien360

Had to switch him off at the end of England game. Questioning their fans cheering them having booed earlier. What does he think they would do ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I would have thought is self evident. It was Mattaface that said YES not Lee Dixon by the way. For a former player not journalist you would get away with that. But the reason a journalist is paired with a former player IMO is at least to try have some balanced view of the game. And maybe on occasion at least play "Devil's advocate". The journalist is there as a journalist first, and a fan second. They are working.

For a journalist to scream YES.

Shows -

1. Lack of professionalism
    2. Lack of class

That is just my opinion, simple really.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's very different to saying they are improving.

That's more of a I think/hope they might improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Spain showed us how to do it last night. Controlled the game from the start, fell behind to a counter attack (the first goal they conceded in the tournament) but just kept at it. A bit wobbly at 1-0 but stuck to the plan and got the job done comfortably in the end. They didn't sit back once they got ahead, either.

I didn't see anything from England to suggest they've learned anything new; Bellingham and Kane were their get out of jail free cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i saw it said online in the last couple of weeks, and it's true.

"Rodri isn't a system player, he IS the system"

Listen, Spain have some fantastic players, and those wide players - Lamal and Williams - are unbelievably good, and dovetail each other so well. Cucurella is having a ridiculous tournament, and Fabian Ruiz has come up big. But it's all about that guy in the middle.

The platform he gives any team he plays for is ludicrous. I never thought I'd see anyone as effective as Busquets in there. The biggest compliment I can pay this guy is that if he keeps going for a 2 or 3 more years at this level, under Guardiola, and wins at least one more CL, then conversations will have to start happening.

Not there yet, but it's closer than many people wll admit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I liked this dose of realism from English comedian Josh Widdicombe after the two games yesterday.

"There was a point during that game where, I genuinely would’ve been more comfortable discussing the French election results. I thought, this isn’t the time for comedy, people are going to be in a very dark place, but it’s all fine now isn’t it? We are going to win the Euros.

I tell you what you don’t want to do, if you want any confidence in England, is watch Spain afterwards."

Isn't there some "if he played City win and if he doesn't they lose" stat for this season ?

• Advertisement

I know that he missed 4 matches in the PL due to suspensions, and City lost those 4 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Opta top 15 players in the tournament to this point.

I saw one of Southgate's post match interviews after the solvakia game. I think he has gone from innately conservative to completely risk adverse.

He is basically terrified to make subs saying in his interview he did not want to change anything in case the "world class" players did something.

I think Southgate's dream scenario would be only to be allowed one sub in case of injury, as it used to be back before Southgate played years ago. Having five subs rather than make Southgate confident of using his squad, it worries him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

And add Jim Beglin into the equation…awful listen..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It also shows he has absolutely no concept of tactical tweaking, or how different skillsets can bring different things to a game. He's basically confirming every criticism everyone has ever had of him - that he is completely risk averse, is reliant on clogging up the middle, and hoping someone comes up with brilliance, or his team can do something from a set piece. he cannot watch a game and think of how he can affect it.

Southgate ended up playing Saka and Eze at left-back.

Whatever about where Saka started his career, Eze has never played as a defender for Crystal Palace!

For the first 3 halves of the game Saka ended up in the same area of the pitch, despite England changing ends twice.

• Advertisement

I have little nephew "across the water" in England. He is not even 8 yet.

But he said to his Dad that he does like like watching England, and prefers watching Spain. I think that sums it up. If small kids can see that, it does not say much.

• Spoilt little brat. I grew up watching Italia 90s Ireland and loved every minute of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭bren2001

But he said to his Dad that he does like like watching England, and prefers watching Spain. I think that sums it up. If small kids can see that, it does not say much.

Wait…watching your country is supposed to be enjoyable??? I thought it was supposed to be pain and misery for years and then a fleeting moment of happiness that carries you through a decade of turmoil and misery? Brady (Italy) and Long (Germany) carried me through the rough nights v Luxembourg, Gibraltar, and Azerbaijan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

You know you're old when your first reaction to that is, "Liam Brady didn't play in Italia 90…"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I'm starting to believe England would be better off go with tonev and kane and go route 1 with crosses and long throws. Don't believe Southgate can manage anything more complex...

• Advertisement

He's seven years old. It's sums up SFA!

He could prefer Spain because of the jersey at that age

To think they laughed a "former manager" Big Sam as long ball merchant.

I think it was Kane who said after the last day that they practiced a move with the long throw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,261 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

jude the arrogant fucker is being investigated for a lewd gesture he made after his goal.

presume that comes with a suspension which might actually help england.

any suspension though IMO will be suspended or deferred till after the comp.

France by the odd goal next.

Their bench is frightening. If Griezmann can't conduct the magic today, Kolo Muani will be sprung late to sort out Belgium.

I say this now, and Lukaku has them going in off his arse and everything!!

Nah, 1-0, 2-1 France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im of the opinion as they're using that audio testing for handballs, they should also be using it to see if there was a corner or not. It would be pretty quick and routine to see after a player hits the ball was there any other frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I have read it was a similar sign Ronaldo did albeit that was a club game and a fine was given so I would say its a fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This ref is another card happy one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I thought they were under instructions to let things go if at all possible. A control freak ref like this guy can potentially ruin a game.

Looks like he is giving out cards as if they are invites to a party

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Poor enough first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

First round of group games aside it's been a rubbish tournament to watch. Another stinker here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Shay Given is an absolutely dreadful pundit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Acosta

Indeed. I switch to the English channel when he's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Lisa Fallon knows her stuff though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Match is waiting to ignite, it could well be over before it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The matches are generally getting worse as the competition progresses.

I also believe most matches are now contested over 45min. If it's a relatively evenly matched game, both coaches are happy with a draw at half time, and often both teams play within themselves to get to half time.

Some teams even only start playing at 60, after keeping it tight for an hour.

Game management, gotta love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

I raise you Stephanie Roche. She has to turn every statement into a question, doesn’t she ? I mean, I don’t mind it the odd time, do I ? but it’s every bloody sentence, isn’t it ? Very annoying, isn’t she ?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ElJaguar

Goal France.

Randal Kolo Muani.

Edit own goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Definitely finding Shay and Kenny Cunningham the hardest to watch so far this tournament. They're not just rubbish, they actually make me irrationally angry for some reason! I think it's the blustery arrogance with which they both deliver absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That's a cruel way for Belgium to go behind. Massive deflection on the strike and there's only 5 minutes left plus extra time. That should go down as an own goal, the shot was going wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

More luck for France

Has BBC gibven up on the soccer now Wimbledon is on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

How good is Kante?

The guy is still one of the best DM around, even at 33

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

lukaku is a donkey and their manager is a bigger one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Belgium no one to bring on here to make a goal? Trossad? Bakayoko!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The referee should book himself for interfering with play and deliberate handball. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Belgium really good do with an Origi moment right about now.

Regards,

P.

Is own goal the top scorer in this tournament ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement