Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2024 - Round 11 - Austrian - Red Bull Ring

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

We haven't seen a drive through penalty, or a stop and go penalty in years. Do they still exist in the stewards book of punishment? I would think a stop and go would have justified what Max did, and it is a good deterrent in the future for anyone else.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They are reluctant to use drive throughs because the penalty is inconsistent. Some pitlanes are longer/slower than others. A drive through in a dry Montreal for example would leave out the wall of champions and turns 1 and 2, where one in Monza could end up with, well Monza 2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭thefa

Perez put a good hole in his sidepod with his lap 1 incident squeezing Piastri. Can remember multiple years where he’s had incidents at turn 4 and hasn’t learned from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Perez has been driving like there's a hole in his side pod for a year now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If you qualify poorly then you get involved in these sorts of incidents. He needs to do better.

Getting beaten by a Haas is inexcusable. Even if Hulk is having an excellent season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭thefa

I agree he needs to do better, no doubt, but my main point was he had damage for most of the race which I think there’s people who didn’t realise that and just think he’s now competing with Haas on race pace.

I actually just remembered Perez also had a long pit stop immediately after Verstappen’s long pit stop (the one that probably cost Verstappen the win). It’s all valid context that affected the final positions that’s worth considering.

If Perez had a clean race, he probably like finishes 4th considering Hamilton’s floor damage. Still probably not good enough but that’s where his form is at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Joeface

We were entertained . I don't think over all it was a great race but the end erased anything dull in it .
    I think Verstappens "bigger" mistake was he probably could have let Lando by and just sat in behind and followed , before the contact Norris was pretty much getting his penatly of track limits and I don't think he would have pulled out 5 seconds.
    I am sure everywhere there will be articles wrote this week filled with good ,bad and terrible takes on the "incident".
    The only part I thought was really bad was after the contact on the straight when Verstappen on three tires moved back and cross , kinda left Norris into the Grass ( pretty sure thats where Norris got his puncture) . That was way more dangerous than anything else.

Roll on the British GP.

……Damn it I'm going to be in croke park for that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

This will probably affect Norris more than Max. Max has seen it all before with a much better driver in Lewis.

I'm going to steer well clear of any build ups with them idiots over at sky and just watch the actual racing.

I expect Max to be working with the team throughout the week to make sure hs car will be bullet proof for this weekend and put a marker down.

Redbull and Max will win the GB grand prix next weekend. I'd be fairly certain of that.

Used to have so much time for McClaren but the clown Brown who loves himself has put me off them a bit to the point i'd prefer Mercs challenging.

And Ferrari need to up their game fairly sharpish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Joeface

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,371 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

we've been through the eras of Schumacher and Hamilton. we know what aggressive driving looks like, and what can happen. it's competitive sport at an obscene pace, so things can happen.

but there is no doubt in my mind that Max is especially prone to these incidents, and it's because he is more reckless than most. he does not yield, even when he probably should. it does seem as though when he actually has to race against a car that is actually next to him, he gets into these scrapes.

this won't affect him in the slightest, but we have to be honest. whether you like it, or whether you don't, he's particularly prone to dangerous driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah their coverage is really pathetic. The reality is that it was a very small wheel to wheel tap, that unfortunately caused a puncture. 9 times out of 10 both drivers would have carried on like nothing happened. There was more major contact amongst the likes of Piastri, Leclerc and Perez near the start of the race but that gets nothing like the amount of screaming and hyperbolic nonsense.

The gaslighting has already begun where I see some of the motorsport sites keep talking about Verstappen "moving while braking" as if it was a fact, even though there is no evidence that he ever did this. Gary Andersen, as is so often the case, is one of the few voices of reason in the motorsport press and pointed out the reality of the situation which is that 1) DRS was very powerful creating high closing speeds so a legitimate defensive move before the braking zone for Verstappen looked much later to Norris, and 2) the new positioning of the kerbs and white lines that make it impossible to go outside of track limits at that corner unless you're in the gravel have perhaps muddied the "leave a car's width" rule. Did Max leave a car's width to the white line? No. Did he leave a car's width to the gravel, which is effectively the track limit now at that corner? Yes, and more besides, but Norris chose not to use that space.

The hyperbole is still ridiculous though. Max wasn't moving under braking or making any kind of big maneuver. He covered the inside and then angled the car so that it would gradually drift back towards the racing line to allow himself a decent turn in angle, which is the completely standard method of defending. It was a matter of millimeters between a complete non-issue and the slight contact with disastrous consequences that ended up happening.

It's hilarious to see the narrative too that "Verstappen will crash into anyone who tries to overtake" being pushed too despite all the evidence to the contrary. Did nobody see the sprint race where Norris overtook him completely cleanly? Or the prior failed divebombs from Norris where Max simply got out of the way and at one point had to jump off track to avoid Lando running into him? There was nothing wildly aggressive in the defending at Austria and it was just an unfortunate, and small, coming together which the media are now trying to milk for all its worth.

Excellent post. Couldn't agree more.

Year on Year sky are getting progressively more bias, or should i say, an agenda against anything to do with RedBull. That wan!er lazenby will be back for Silverstone ready to stir the sh!t from FP1. I won't watch a second of it.

Will be interesting when Max eventually does join Mercs what their attitude will be like as Sky's love of Mercs are well known. I remember a few years back referring to the Mercs as a british team 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I was delighted watching this version of max. He's a great, phenomenal, generationally talented driver. Norris is the plucky brit, kind of the damon hill to the schumacher in the 90's. The brits love him and he's clearly fast, just not on maxs level. (No insult to Norris, not many are on the Schumacher, Senna, Alonso, Prost etc level). The penalties were laughable. On both sides. What would have happened today if 1994 Australia happened, MSC lined up and shot? It's racing.

The best of the best don't throw consecutive divebombs though. Austria is probably over 50% of the distance covered by DRS, there's no need to divebomb. Norris showed himself up today, max was petulant after the incident by blocking norris when he had a puncture, but, since norris caused it I dont blame max for that.

Max isn't reckless, he's a racing driver. We're going racing, toto.

I know this is completely unrelated, but a question - why Mercs and not Merc? When WTF1 changed presenters last year before it imploded the new main guy kept calling Mercedes Mercs. It made me stop listening (their new coverage was pants anyway, so no great loss). But where has this calling Mercedes Mercs rather than Merc come from?

It's Mercedes AMG, though I always go with the proper name of the car company, Mercedes-Benz.

In my amateur opinion, neither driver is 100% guilty/innocent. I do think it's 70% Max's fault, but Norris did himself no favours there with his impatience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Watched the incident a good few times since yesterday and the more I look at it the more of a non issue it becomes to me, I’ve not seen Skys coverage but I’ve zero doubt they’re milking it as if Max committed some sort of war crime!

If I was to ping a driver to blame then yeah it’s still prob on Max, but as another poster mentioned, 9 times out of 10 those incidents result in nothing! Not to mention Norris’ constant dives resulting in Max taking evading action on atleast two occasions, then turning in on Max immediately after the shunt, all of that deserved a penalties in their own right! I thought it was mighty entertaining racing all being said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Used to have so much time for McClaren but the clown Brown who loves himself has put me off them a bit to the point i'd prefer Mercs challenging.

I don't have a problem with him at all. He has done a great job at Mclaren and made them competitive again so we have good races now. That's all that is important.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I'm only using it as Plural. No other reason.

Singular, i call it a "merc"

Never said he hasn't done a good job. Just an unlikeable fella imo.

Will be interesting to see how they fare in 2026, because the big guns no doubt will be ahead of McClaren which is why i think Lando's best chance for the next 5/6/7 years to win a championship will be next year.

Expect the Mercs, to more than likely be front and Centre.

• Advertisement

I don't know about this. I get that being the works team outs you in the best position, but the workings of the Mercedes team since 2021 seems to be one that is making mistakes. Be it on strategy, or the ongoing issues with their ground effect cars.

They're likely going to be the best Mercedes powered team in 2026, but I don't know if we can say they'll be so far ahead that McLaren won't be able to win.

Who knows. All i know is, they will have had the biggest budget available for R&D, They are the biggest brand on the grid(for now), HOWEVER, Audi(VW) are an even bigger company. So who knows what to expect from them. Could go one of two ways.

I'll EDIT that in they are the largest revenue generating company on the grid currently (Brand not the real metric)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

it’s helped the ticket sales for Silverstone. I hope Max puts on a show for the plucky Brits to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I thought Alex Brundle was spot on then you've the clown Buxton laughing at him

Ye, Buxton likes to think he’s some kind of celebrity. Worth ignoring,on pretty much anything he says

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Have him blocked on twitter so I avoid all of his tripe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

None of this is new from Max, even at Silverstone 2022 he ran Mick Schumacher in a Haas off the track at the last corner.

It is in his DNA, the only outrage you see will be from people who already didn't like him.

They might be better off not watching F1 if that is the case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement