Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭billyhead

Davy Byrne will be back too and Fenton won't call it a day. He has another 2-3 years left. Mannion and McCaffrey is up in the air

• Registered Users Posts: 18,629 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

In my head after departures, Dublin will be around Roscommon sort of level an OK div1 side but a top div2 side. Because Kildare and Meath are so poorly run even a poor Dublin side will still be beating those 7-8 points IMO. Getting to the group stages. But the group stages is where there will be a struggle.

When there is the retirements of the "legends" I will be watching the next two years of the league closely. It will be a great barometer of how things are going. To be honest my main worry is that Kerry might clean up in the next decade. Unless Tyrone fulfil their promise. Derry/Donegal will just be awkward but the way they play means lots of wear and tear.

The rest of the country will be delighted for a while, but if Kerry get a stranglehold they will feel like Poland when the Germans left, and the Russian Communists came in.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I think you need to go to specsavers. The Galway player was behind Con and sort of half jumped into him. Again, nobody is accusing Galway of cheating. The ref was poor in the home stretch and it’s a very common theme in our games. You don’t agree and I don’t care.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

you can see it here, the ball isn’t kicked yet and the ‘block’ attempt from behind has already hit into the ribs and hip, how anyone can claim that’s ‘clearly’ an attempted block from in front is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭Robson99

He never even got contact on him. COC never even looked to the ref for a free....that says enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Gael85

Brennan is 39 and only starting out. He had disastrous spell with Sarsfields in Kildare a couple years ago. Be better for him to take job in a couple when older lads he played with retired. Gilroy started a new job so can't see been involved in Dublin set up on a permanent basis.

Dessie had two years with the Dublin minors and five with u21s before taking the senior job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭flasher0030

It is a contact sport. You do know that. Right?? It's not basketball.

He most certainly did push / jump into him. It's a clear from the image posted above. Con shouldn't have to go looking for the free either, that's what's wrong with this game. Maybe he should have fell over holding his head??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

As Brian Cody often said - have you gone through the full 70 minutes of the game, and looked at every tackle that was made, for where there should be a free or shouldnt - or for where there could be frees if you wanted to be really strict about it.

Have to admit the only thing I noticed was a good chance missed.

There are a lot of reasons Dublin lost the game. The referee is not one of them.

The surprising thing about Dublin for me - I look at the sheer quantum of underage in the county on the one hand, and on the other hand the lack of quality coming through. Like, there are good players coming through. But not great players. Con O'Callaghan is 28 now, Howard is 27 there is nobody younger that are really real stand out players for m

Looking at the maths of it - for any given age group, say born in 2004 for arguments sake - there will be probably 2,000 boys born that year in Dublin who have played Gaelic Football underage and could be on the senior team now. Same for 2003, and 2002 and 2001 etc.

Surely, across all this group - there would be more outstanding talent coming through into the senior team.

People bang on about the resources Dublin has, but its not clear to me that there is any particular sophistication to the underage set up for the best youth players.

Likewise, I see the underage teams being beaten by the likes of Longford and am wondering WTF is going on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The thing about the Dublin underage setup is that it is all about participation by the widest group, including those with special needs or disabilities. The funding has never been about producing for the senior team, it has been to widen the appeal of the game to the broad community. Sometimes that will result in players coming through, sometimes it won't. When it happens it is by accident rather than design. This is the big mistake that outsiders make when looking at the funding.

A successful senior Dublin team is an unintended consequence of the funding being given to broad participation at underage level. With unintended consequences, you are dependent on circumstances being right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

That was moorefield he was with in Kildare. Moorefield are a club with a rich history but arent doing much underage for the past number of years. Was always going to be difficult to get much out of that team to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Yeah, most of the attention is on likely retirements of Cluxton, Fitzsimons and James Mac.

But even the ones who still have something to offer, they are at an age now where the next 3-5 years is unlikely to be as good as the previous 5 years. The likes of Fenton, Kilkenny, Mannion, McCaffrey, Costello and so on.

Another big problem are the super clubs in Dublin. They just have too many players and are hoovering up young players from smaller clubs. Go to one of the academies for 4-7 year olds and you could see hundreds of kids in each age group. The likes of Na Finna, Clontarf, Cuala, Ballyboden, Kilmacud are fielding 7/8/9 teams in each age group. At that stage the kids aren't getting much coaching, it becomes a numbers game and glorified babysitting IMO.

That only matters if your aim is to produce for the senior team. It is not a problem if your aim is mass participation and fostering a love of the game. I don't see the issue, participation is up hugely in Dublin.

Some of that latter group will consider stopping. Mannion and McCaffrey have dropped out in the past. The team needs an injection of young energy. The problem is that young energy does not have the same quality as in the past.

Ok leave the funding to one side.

It is not 'all about' participation by the widest group. There is an emphasis on that in some clubs. In others there isnt. There is zero communication from the county board about it, in any meaningful way.

And - there is streaming in underage from a very young age; informally from u10s. That is to say, 9 year olds being told you are in the good team or you in the bad team.

Not sure if thats good for inclusiveness.

But what it most definitely does is create an elite stream of players for the larger clubs from a very very young age.

At least 10 clubs will have A, B and C teams at that age. Another 10 will have A and B teams. So you will have 20 'A' teams coming through. Which is 350 to 400 players that are marked out as being good, strong, elite whatever. In addition, there are all the one team clubs which also have their strong players.

And thats for each age group.

How can this structure not be generating players that really really stand out?

The missing link for me is two fold:

(i) what is happening in the Dublin development squads? Big grey area, imho.

(ii) this streaming from a very young age will basically cut out any late developers from emerging. The streaming in clubs is extremely inflexible - simply because its too much of a challenge to move players down, the parents complain, the players threaten to quit and the mentors throw their hands in the air and say 'why bother'.

The third thing is that an enormous amount of the better players are lost to schools rugby.

Finally - your point on inclusiveness/ funding refers to Games Development Officers; and correctly that is where they place their emphasis. They have very little involvement in developing elite players.

Nonetheless, with the increased numbers, with the sheer volume of players - you'd have to ask, why are we not seeing this having an impact.

Post edited by Tombo2001 on

They dont 'hoover up' players. Kids join at the age of 4 or 5. Thats the parents making a decision. There is no outreach from the clubs. So unfair to criticse them for it.

GAA clubs have an open policy, they dont turn people away- thats supposed to be a big plus with the GAA, so it shouldnt also be a stick to beat them with.

And as regards coaching - in any club, the ratio of kids to parents will be the same. If there are 50 kids, there will be circa 100 parents all going well. If there are 20 kids, there will be 40 parents. In both situations, you are looking for 10% of parents to become mentors. I dont see mentor numbers being an issue either, at all, in the big clubs.

Space is an issue, for some more than others. Really the issue is distance to the city centre. Portmarnock is a very big club. They have 8 or 9 pitches. Sylvesters would be similar. Ranelagh Gaels is much smaller, but have the least pitch resources of any club in the county probably.

Where it is an issue is qualified mentors - coaches who have played and also are good coaches. This is tough. We'd all like to see them. Where they will come from is a different matter. County board could be much much stronger on this. Very little being done here that is in any way effective.

Not at all Blanch, it's more than that. There are lots of smaller clubs that are on their arse numbers wise and struggling to put out a single team while their neighbour has 1000's of players.

Participation is all well and good (I'm all for it by the way) but the kids also need to be thought the skills of the game. If you're coaching 60 kids at a training session then there's very little going on in the way of skills. I see this first hand every week. U11 girls that can't run, catch, or solo a ball. It's basically a social club for them with zero interest in the actual game. And don't get me started on the rubbish coming out of the Go Games committee. Clubs just ignoring what they are saying and doing as they please.

Participation is a very important aspect and keeping as many kids involved in the club has to be one of theaim goals. However, teaching the core skills of the game has to go hand in hand with that.

Its great to see strong participation in GAA at underage levels in Dublin but it is becoming inequitable were the likes of Crokes can field 5-6 teams at u11 for example and on the other hand the smaller GAA clubs in Dublin can struggle to field 2. The resources/facilities of the likes of Crokes give them an unfair advantage but that's another days argument.

• Advertisement

There absolutely is outreach by the clubs, especially to schools and it's very much not the "done" thing to try out your flyer up in a school that another club feel is in their area.

But it's mostly down to parents, many of who will have no ties to the area. The massive influx of non Dubs into those areas has also led to the falling player numbers in the smaller clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭PressRun

Any truth that there was illness going around the group in the week leading up to the game?

There 100% isnt.

The games promotion officers go to the local schools. Thats all, no more.

Your point is that they go outside their catchment area, hoovering up players from smaller clubs. (I assume thats your point).

There is no other outreach of this type. The large clubs are keenly aware they are struggling to cope with numbers and would be only too happy for other clubs to take them.

Whats happening in practice - if you look at the super clubs, they are all basically in middle class areas. And a lot of the one or two team clubs are in the lower income areas. Some parents in the lower income areas are making the decision to send their kid to the middle class club thats a bit further away. Thats whats happening, thats the long and short of it.

Isn’t that what I just stated? The gentrification of lower income areas has lead to this type of thing. I’m also not sure what clubs can do when so many parents have notions that their kid needs to play for a club in a middle class area.

An advantage in what sense? What simply happens is that the one-team club plays in division 5, alongside Crokes B team or C team.

Where is the advantage or disadvantage?

Your original comment was that the super clubs are 'hoovering up players', which for me points the finger at the club for doing something wrong.

Also - on the outreach point - the GPOs are paid by the GAA to promote the game, this is not outreach on behalf of the club. If a GPO goes into a school, he/she deals with all the kids there, they dont just say I'm only here to coach players from a particular club.

Bigger pool of players to pick from and better facilities.

I'm not and never have blamed the clubs. I'm simply stating that it's a problem. I also never mentioned the GPOs, who do great work by the way. But clubs can and do put flyers up on school noticeboards etc, especially the smaller clubs trying to get players. This has lead to some fairly heated decisions between clubs at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

He definitely was one of them in my opinion.

The threshold of Galway getting frees and us getting frees were night and day.
    Needs a bit of work on his hand singals too. Making it up as he went along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭mobby

Agreed, the Fitzsimmons one was quite bizarre. Anyway it's immaterial now, Galway gave it their all and congratulations to them.

Advertisement