Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭munster87

Terrible show of football from Kerry/Derry yesterday. Kerry getting the win though and still in the championship in July, happy days 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

They got away with it because Derry didn't seem to push up or show any urgency. Even when a couple of point behind with only a few minutes to go.

I suspect Derry were just exhausted after a long season and playing 3 weeks in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Seadin

I tend to say that Derry got their priorities wrong early in the season, they went full wack to win the league and playing all the club all Ireland winner players so early in the season was a recipe for disaster as proved yesterday. Derry remind me of Monaghan, the nearly men that just didn't quite make the expectations of them. They are bang average losing 4 times in championship say no more. Brolly can put that up his pipe and smoke it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Brolly will dancing on Derry/Harte's grave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kerryjack

It was pure muck yesterday I couldn't watch it and only kept one eye on it from a distance checking score, I went away from it at one stage it was 7 each and came back 10 minutes later and it was 8 each shocking stuff and yes kerry contributed to that muck as well, it will be hard to sell tickets for Kerry and Armagh game probably could but 2 semi final on one day might create a bit of an atmosphere. T

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Presume your last comment is covered in sarcasm. McKaigue is such an unlikable player. Always looking to be pushing, shoving, giving verbals. A dirty fecker. I was hoping by Clifford getting riled up that he would give McKaigue a trimming in the second half. But his head just didn't seem in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭MfMan

Not axiomatic. I don't think Kerry are as good (or any better) than 2 years ago, while Galway have a stronger panel, albeit with the usual caveat about injuries and availability. And there's no guarantee they'll beat a resurgent Donegal side who played the best football of the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

A poor return in the quarter finals this weekend for three pointers. Only two teams, Armagh (2) and Donegal (1) managed to score a goal. Six goal shy teams.

And only 3/8 teams scored a goal in the preliminary quarter finals (Mayo, Cork & Louth with one goal apiece.)

Crowds love a net buster no wonder the atmosphere was so muted in lot of the games. The crowd feed off the action in front of them. And there's nothing better than a goal to get them worked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭MFPM

Kerry were poor yesterday and are not at the level they were two years ago, that said they'll waltz past Armagh.

Galway despite beating Dublin who were terrible in the second half are a decent side, I hope they don't regret the OTT celebrations which were reminiscent of Mayo in 2021 when they beat Dublin..

Donegal are the best team on form.

Donegal v Kerry final IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭flasher0030

That's a cliched, archaic narrative - about teams over-celebrating "as if it were an All-Ireland".

An underdog beating the favourites brings out the emotions - especially when those favourites have been almost unbeatable for more than a decade. Just because the players were ecstatic on Saturday after the match doesn't mean that they are going to on the booze for the week. It was great day for them, and they rightly expressed those emotions when the final whistle was blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Why are Donegal the best team on form?

Galways performance v Dublin is better than anything they have done.

Kerry beat Cork and absolutely trounced Louth.

I expect Galway to beat Donegal and give them a great chance of an AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,629 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I remember seeing David Clifford being interviewed after one of his minor wins, I don't know which one there were so many. Probably an early one.

My first impression was this fella is 18 going on 58. Definite Kerry future manager. And I would be listening to the fecker in decades to come.

I suppose in the world of Kerry GAA football is a very serious business. They don't really hurl (although I know Dublin have imported one of their hurlers Darragh O’Connell, but Kerry hurlers are rare).

Kerry are definitely not known for soccer. And Rugby is only viewed as a pastime to "tune up" for the football. One all Ireland a decade for Kerry is viewed as barely a passing grade. Any longer is a "famine".

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Wow, I certainly touched a nerve there!! It's an observation!

Firstly, players should absolutely celebrate a victory, certainly when beating a team that's ostensibly better than you and a team that have been the standard bearers in the game you play. I thought Joyce and his management team dancing across the pitch was a bit OTT given they've been to an AI final two years ago!

My abiding memory of the 2021 AI semi final was the Mayo celebrations, particularly O Hora when giving his man of the match interview. Now they had more reason to celebrate as they had just beaten a team they had heretofore been unable to beat but remember what happened to them in the final.

I made no mention of 'booze' or what the 'week' holds for the players, you're extrapolating a narrative there I didn't state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Hurling is taken very seriously in North Kerry and we've actually produced a Lions in rugby, all from the same village Currow.

Soccer also is very big here.

The current Kerry team actually has a lot of brilliant soccer players who were one of the best teams in Ireland with the Sem and Killarney Celtic.

I think the Sem won an AI in soccer and Killarney Celtic were very close.

Kerry won a Kennedy cup a few years ago also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,629 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It must be some village so! Sounds a bit like Cuala in the hurling for Dublin, a place you wouldn't expect hurling to be at all.

Years ago Kerry people seemed to like to win Sam but they like to win it when challenged, as well as playing nice football. Years ago I remember meeting a Kerry fella after an Ireland win (I think it was v Mayo around 2006).

I said to him "You must be happy with that win?" Fella looked deflated "Arragh, that was no match at all".

I get the impression that is what has changed now with Kerry it is now win at all costs, grind out results if required. As viewed in the last match v Derry. That makes Kerry a more dangerous animal overall, but at the same time a structured team always has a chance v Kerry. Especially as there is less "flair" in the team. It is not like they have a team with loads of fellas like the Gooch, Mike Frank, D.O'Sullivan. Fellas that play off the cuff.

I think that the unpredictability is being trained out of players in general in football, David Clifford is a one off. Dublin are not likely to see a new Alan Brogan. It is all about possession, turnovers "breaking the lines" with power.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

They have basketball in Kerry too, one well known player is now part of the Armagh management.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

knowing the Galway teams and culture they probably are on the lash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

We've only won 1 AI in 10 years so I think we've become more pragmatic.

This is David Clifford's 7th season and he has 1 AI. There's an urge for this group to win a few medals. They're not kids anymore but experienced men.

Dublin need a rebuild so Kerry should make hay until they come strong again.

Lots of other strong teams around now but Kerry are capable of beating them.

The Championship is actually in a very good place in terms of there being 6 or 7 teams of a similar standard but obviously the style of football could be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

'' Thugs'' ?? Maybe you're more used to watching ladies tennis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Rosita

The post-match celebrations on the pitch will hardly affect other matches will they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Post game celebrations having an impact is the type of thing only fans or pundits trying to fill air time analyse. You hear that nonsense in every sport - I remember it being said about Connacht rugby after they beat Glasgow in league semi final, they went out and hammered Leinster in final seven days later.

The half hour Galway spent on the pitch celebrating after the game will have zero impact on the outcome of a game two weeks later.

Donegal lost to a very average Cork team. They beat a poor Tyrone team by two. I’m not sure what form you are reading!

No idea, I merely commented that I felt the celebrations were a tad OTT and drew a parallel with Mayo in 2021. Time will tell.

They won the Ulster championship, the harder of the provincials to win. They were already through when losing to Cork. The very average Cork team put it up to Kerry for long stretches in Munster, Kerry then beat a woeful Clare, a woeful Monahan and Meath and then Louth I'd say Donegal have had a far tougher run and their results better, they hammered Derry out the gate, Kerry struggled yesterday. I

They lost to Cork in round two of the round robin, they weren’t through at all and they were at high risk of not topping the group as it left Cork with two wins from two games. Not topping the group results in not getting to semi finals the vast majority of the time.

Kerry and Galway are unbeaten in championship football regardless of what you say about opposition and in the latter’s case, that opposition has included Mayo, Derry, Armagh and Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

And of course Armagh are also unbeaten in games, unless you are counting penalty shooting competitions, and that included Donegal, Derry and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭MfMan

Heard PJ told them not to break out and they fell in with that. They returned home after the match and I know of one prominent player who was in the pool early next morning.

In fairness while pointing to teams being unbeaten, one should factor the opposition they've played! Donegal to date have indeed lost one game but like Kerry last year they may reach the AI final!

Time will tell...

• Advertisement

Yep I think Armagh are the best Ulster team left. I would have Kerry no.1, not by a lot but they have an all Ireland medal, reached final last year so have to give it to them on that basis alone I think.

There’s not a lot between the other three, I would have Galway ahead were the injuries even reasonable but given captain went off after twenty minutes on Saturday and the entire full forward line aren’t close to 100% that makes any gap negligible imo.

Advertisement