Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Under-20 2024 Team

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭nerd69

Bit broader maby but different style of player

• Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Treacy isn't that tall.. certainly quick though.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Yeah that's what I was thinking but he can't be over six foot.

Ok, i must be way off on that then. Maybe he was standing next to someone short lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ShineyShiney

I was really impressed with Tracey in the 6 nations and I'm interested to see how he goes at 13. Think he was missed on the wing yesterday but did well at 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,220 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's worth remembering that Treacy is in the Connacht academy for the past year. That will put him further down the development path than those around him having trained fully for a year in a pro set up unlike those in the sub-academies.

Connacht deserve credit for their role in plucking him straight from school but it's very unusual to see that happen. Connacht know that, if they're to attract those guys, they need to think outside the box as they won't be able to compete with other provinces if they wait a year and offer a deal then at the same time.

I think Treacy is a good player but it's very early to see how he develops long term. He seems a well rounded and smart player but there are much bigger challenges ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Munster are taking players straight from school every year too. O'Connell and O'Connor both came straight from school, Hicks, who bizarrely hasn't made this squad, came straight from school too. O'Leary Kareem was just taken straight from school as well.

I'd actually argue Munster waited too long with Edogbo, I'm sure two years in the academy would have been more beneficial to him than the last two years he spent in the AIL, especially since he didn't come through a rugby school but that's another discussion.

Im very curious to see how hicks goes next year as a 2 year pro youd think hell be fairly strong.

Woth edogbo hes been training away with munster this season a lot so hes been involved i guess theres a limit to numbers of academy deals and munster are hitting the stage where theve enough talent its hard to get in now. He didnt make the irish 19s last season so its possible hes had huge growth

Edogbo has improved massively in past 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭snotboogie

He was with the 19's at the start of the season but missed the second half due to injury. Munster take in far less academy players than Leinster and Ulster so you'd imagine there should be room.

Hes in the academy now

I think therew a second intake this year calveys to good to not be in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭typhoony

Even at this stage it looks like it's going to be the same 4 teams in the semi-fjnal as last year. I think New Zealand may struggle to get the best 2nd place spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭typhoony

The Backrow group with Gleeson available is arguably our best ever at this level. They can rotate players and there's no drop off in performance

I think gleeson,edogbo, flynn, ward,murphy, corrigan are all pro calibur anyway. Increadible how good thr backrow has looked without what some would have said where our best two back rows in flynn and gleeson all year

Guys like Stevens who missed out are really good as well.

And nowak Already played senior rugby but can't make 20s Impressive

• Advertisement

Ireland Men’s U20s (v Georgia):
    15. Ben O’Connor (UCC RFC/Munster)
    14. Davy Colbert (Dublin University FC/Leinster)
    13. Sam Berman (Terenure College RFC/Leinster)
    12. Hugh Gavin (Galwegians RFC/Connacht)
    11. Ruben Moloney (UCD RFC/Leinster)*
    10. Sean Naughton (Galway Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
    9. Oliver Coffey (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)

1. Jacob Boyd (Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
    2. Stephen Smyth (Old Wesley RFC/Leinster)
    3. Andrew Sparrow UCD RFC/Leinster)
    4. James McKillop (Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
    5. Evan O’Connell (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster)(capt)
    6. Sean Edogbo (UCC RFC/Munster)
    7. Max Flynn (Galway Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
    8. Luke Murphy (Shannon RFC/Munster)

Replacements:

16. Mikey Yarr (Lansdowne FC/Leinster)*
    17. Emmet Calvey (Shannon RFC/Munster)
    18. Patreece Bell (Sale Sharks/IQ Rugby)
    19. Alan Spicer (UCD RFC/Leinster)
    20. Brian Gleeson (Garryowen FC/Munster)
    21. Tadhg Brophy (Naas RFC/Leinster)
    22. Jack Murphy (Clontarf FC/Leinster)
    23. Finn Treacy (Galwegians RFC/Connacht).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Shehal

I actually think the squad is being managed very well these first 2 games, making sure everyone gets game time while also keeping the squad as competitive as possible.

Saw the 1st match finally. Apart from the scrum, it was a good performance. Gavin is excellent. Serious talented player

Sheehan and Coffee, I thought we're both very good.

Andrew Sparrow is a large man! Very large!

https://www.oddschecker.com/rugby-union/u20-world-championships

Odds checker have finally released their odds for the u20 JWC and Ireland are favourites like my previous post on the topic showed but they are actually fairly solid favourites now at 2.25 compared to France at 3. In other words they have a 14% chance greater of winning the tournament. England a bit further behind at 3.5 and then NZL at 4.5. Surprisingly the hosts SA are only at 7, the fact they are that low despite being the hosts must indicate how little faith the bookies have in them.

There is then a huge gap back to Australia at 16 and after that the rest are north of 100 and goes without saying have little to no chance.

Another thing, is something up with De Klerk? He hasn't been named in either 23's so far which makes him the only back not to feature after this weekend most likely.

it looks like the italy game wasn't heavily rotated then. Looking at the bench here, i think i'd expect the 23 next week to look most like the team sheet against italy.

Or possibly he's still finding his first 15 over first two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Number 137

• Registered Users Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Gavin looks class. His size is an advantage at this level so if he can keep growing he could be a big asses for Connacht and Ireland (and eventually Leinster when they poach him to replace Henshaw - joke).

Really looking forward to seeing him for Connacht this year.

• Advertisement

I don't think either side is heavily rotated, I think both sides were probably at 65-75% full strength (granted the first side was stronger) which gives us a chance at looking at every while also keeping momentum going into Australia.

Advertisement