Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump the Megathread part II - threadbans and mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

.…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Garland is a huge part of the problem. He has ties to the Kushners, and has delayed taking any action for Jan 6th for years. He has been a disastrous appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

In todays USSC ruling on the Trump case reference his presidential acts, “The President enjoys no immunity for his unofficial acts, and not everything the President does is official. The President is not above the law,” Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the majority.

It's noticeable that the noun "IS" is used twice in the present-tense form so it can be read to refer to the present office holder as well as Trump. It gives latitude to the lower courts to read that Roberts did NOT give Trump an escape free from jail card.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭scottser

Bidens team should be drafting legislation as we speak to eliminate this immunity bullshit

• Advertisement

Hopefully there is some juicy information on 45...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I think they would need majorities in both the House and the Senate to get that legislation through and MAGA has got the House.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭nachouser

The US is f*cked based on the recent SC rulings. The whole point of the US was not to be ruled by an English King, and yet they are now wanting to be ruled by a King. 'Murica.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

dreaming I think , Epstein would have had a knighthood by now, liberal degenerates were Epstein's hunting ground

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

What? Epstein didn't give a sh*t about liberal or conservative.

Prince Andrew? Trump? Liberal degenerates?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

So really just a clarification on continuance of standard operating procedure.

He might give the order but put in his own name by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Signing his own name in the target field is a pretty easy mistake. He has to sign a lot of stuff.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Well yes and no.

They've failed to actually clarify what constitutes an Official or Personal act and by that failure they give Trump the delay he wanted.

Up to now a President couldn't be Civil charged for actions taken as President - Like he couldn't be personally sued for the results of some law/action he took. Now though they have said that the President has immunity for certain actions which is a step further as it suggests that a President can't be criminally charged for actions if they are deemed to be "official acts".

That blanket of "official acts" could potentially be used to cover a multitude and the hoops that might have to be gone though to get something classified as a personal act are likely to be huge.

It's another step toward the "unitary executive" theory the GOP are so fond of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Still spoofing that you're an expert in geriatric medicine I see

You got me. I'm behind the whole Joe is a cognitive wreck thing that is sweeping America and especially the democratic party.

Anyone who was surprised by Joe last Tuesday was in wilful denial.

You need to set the record straight and do a talking tour of America.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wonder how you feel about this ruling now for Presidents given today's immunity ruling. Seems as though Cash for Pardons is "presumptively" legal carry on for a POTUS now.

Should be drafting orders to Seal Team 6 to officially execute 6 corrupt justices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ahwell

AOC is going to file articles of impeachment…

https://x.com/AOC/status/1807814421168710111

It has to be done, the bar is too high for it to succeed in the Senate, but at least it buts some pressure on the six lunatic justices. It needs to be a big election issue in all three races.

• Advertisement

She doesn't say against who

😂

240 chars isn't enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

The US is turning in to a banana republic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I've not read the opinion yet (On family vacation in Greece and haven't had a long enough time).

Note that the immunity doctrine in the US does not mean that everything becomes legal. Unlawful actions by, say, police, agents etc remain unlawful, are redressed by the courts, and recompensed by the agency in question.

"Absolute Immunity" has its own legal definition in the US, and is not without limits. Absolute immunity from civil litigation, for example, was granted to the President in 1982, though it was trimmed a bit in 1997 to hold that the immunity only existed for official acts, and not unofficial, and even at that, it's not carte blanche: it "protects officials who "make reasonable but mistaken judgments about open legal questions",[2] extending to "all [officials] but the plainly incompetent or those who knowingly violate the law"" (Wiki quote citing a case). If the same term is used by SCOTUS in the current ruling on criminal liability, then unless they say otherwise in the opinion I would presume a similar meaning applies and is much less concerning than a lot of people seem to be making it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Bill Gates, Bill Clinton, hollywood types were the ones "that went to the Island" , Prince Andrew is just a degenerate

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭Christy42

It's the Trump thread so let's not forget about him taking some of those flights. Feel free to stick Clinton into the cell next to him, I am not picky on this and all the profiles can get locked up.

On that topic did we ever get an excuse as to why he should be considered sane after the electric boat ramble?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Buried in there is basically carte blanche for any President to weaponise the DOJ for their own political benefit.

Among many other protections and facilitations for the "Unitary Executive" - Basically , with this decision in place , Nixon could have told everyone to PFO and they couldn't have done anything about it. The tapes that did all the damage to him would be inadmissible according to this SCOTUS.

In the ruling, the court stated that “testimony or private records of the President or his advisers probing such conduct may not be admitted as evidence at trial,” referring to anything a president does as an “official” act.

Much of the evidence gathered against Trump in his January 6 trial, for example, relies on what he said to his advisers and to Vice President Mike Pence, as well as records that were kept on such discussions in the White House. It could also erase evidence of Trump speaking to lawmakers on the evening of January 6 to delay the certification of Biden’s victory.

According to the Supreme Court, all such evidence is now unusable, an interpretation that, fortunately for Trump, guts that case against him. 

As bad as that is however it pales in comparison to this little nugget.

The Justice Department will no longer be an independent authority on the law, thanks to the Supreme Court’s ruling on Donald Trump’s immunity case Monday. Instead, it will be an arm to be leveraged by the Oval Office, with open communication enabled between the federal law enforcement agency and the presidency for all future investigations.

Chief Justice John Roberts slipped the allowance into his majority opinion, as the justices ruled 6–3 in Trump’s favor along ideological lines. In a quiet sentence, Roberts argued that the fresh take on the executive branch relationship would help the president carry out his constitutional duties.

The president may discuss potential investigations and prosecutions with his Attorney General and other Justice Department officials to carry out his constitutional duty to ‘take care that the laws be faithfully executed,’” Roberts wrote.

And the Attorney General, as head of the Justice Department, acts as the President’s ‘chief law enforcement officer’ who ‘provides vital assistance to [him] in the performance of [his] constitutional duty to ‘preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution,’” Roberts continued, citing a precedent from an immunity case argued for Cabinet members, Mitchell v. Forsyth.

This means that if Trump returns to office, he will have free rein to wield the Justice Department as he sees fit—and he and his allies have already given plenty of indications as to what they plan to do.

Autocracy , plain and simple.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm not sure I see any practical difference between before and after. Or are you advocating that J Edgar Hoover's FBI wasn't an organisation which undertook policies as much on a political as a criminal basis? In my own memory, the DoJ is normally an agency which decides which things to investigate, prosecute or defend according to the political leanings of the administration and the executives appointed by the President.

I seem to recall that the tapes which did damage to Nixon did so because of their political effect, not legal process. SCOTUS has confirmed that POTUS is not beyond subpoena, which is how the tapes were revealed. The inability to use such things as evidence in a trial does not mean that evidence cannot be compelled to become public. Unless there is a detail in the latest opinion which contradicts that, and I'm not a fan of apparently politically biased (Note the source) 'lite' assessments by an 'associate writer' with no indication of legal training, what you are suggesting seems to be a 'take'.

Now, in fairness, I've not read the dissent either (who obviously do have excellent legal training and feel free to quote them), to see what they have to say on that exact issue before us, but eventually I'll sit down and read the 133 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭gneel

Trump already throwing as much **** against the wall to see what sticks. If it wasn't clear already, it would be an unmitigates disaster if Trump got reelected

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cw4yp9g7ynwo.amp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I just didn't think Conservatives would be this bold about embracing fascism but here we are. Usually, you do this sort of thing after the election, not before.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

The dissent is pretty damning saying that the decision gives the President almost unfettered immunity.

The point about the Nixon tapes is that no one would have ever heard them if this decision was in place at the time.

Nixon says " They cover official business, go pound sand" and there's virtually nothing that anyone could do. Any subpoena to compel him to give them to a House/Senate committee could be ignored and now with his ability to explicitly direct the DOJ he could simply get them squashed.

The viewpoint on their decision is pretty universally in agreement that this is terrible.

It's notable that none of the usual GOP legal mouthpieces have said a word about the decision because it's hard to spin it as anything other than making the office of President a near monarchy.

Trump has already gone back to the courts to have the hush money verdict overturned as he says that because he signed the dodgy paperwork to give Cohen the money after he was elected that means it was an "official act".

The DOJ does indeed operate under a particular political lens , but this ruling looks to give the President the ability to influence specific cases rather than policy.

So a President might have a zero tolerance policy on Drugs which is reflected in the way the DOJ approaches drugs cases, which is fine.

This ruling seems to say that a President can get involved in individual cases and be part of the decision making process to take specific action.

There's a massive difference between "I want you to be tough on Drug dealers" and " I want you to arrest John Smith and charge him with XYZ"

Advertisement