Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Dutchy

Kasabian one of only a few on my shortlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭Stillill42

On the plus side lads, you won't have to listen to Chris Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Decent enough but most of the tunes sound like mid-70s Gary Glitter. Crowd adoring it. Stick ‘em in the sane-sized tent at EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I'd assumed it was the same tent that we have for electric arena, how many mongo tents of that size are doing the rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭rockterrain

This is completely missing the mark. We've a festival in EP that's already moved dates and still no positive impact on the line-up. This is an evolution in Ireland away from indie/rock acts at our largest festivals in a bid to maximise profits by promotors as I outlined. These same acts in many cases are playing as part of more diverse festival line-ups in Europe. The dates point is irrelevant. If they moved EP to July and it sells out in advance we'd have the same result next year and you'd have to come up with some new excuse to justify why the line-up is muck.

• Advertisement

It could very well be. Makes sense and they look very similar but I’ve no idea. I’d just assumed that FR had their own tents for various festivals. But how many events need a 12k capacity tent? The company that does the Glasto tents is based in Lincolnshire, probably used by everybody.

Snarky Snark Snark

it’s even bigger than you’d think, the planning application has EA listed at 15,600 bodies!

(Section 4.5 (structures))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Hold on now. Are we actually discussing the EA capacity again? What did we say lads? What did we say?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭endainoz

Maybe for insurance purposes/health and safety FR overestimate for EP, big crowds outside the tent for Wolfe Tones, etc? I think you’re right about it being the same tent @scruff monkey but Glasto have had it at 12k for a while.

Anyway I don’t care that much, and nor do you nor anyone else. I promise never again to post on this. 😀

Anyone catch NewDad at Woodsies on the BBC Player today? Was out all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Fanirish

it moved for Calvin Harris, one of the biggest djs/producers around. Was it justified in my opinion or yours? Probably not but Melvin benn had him on his wishlist for years. It’s his festival at the end of the day.
    Over the last decade only a handful of big internationally indie/rock acts have not made an appearance in stradbally.
    A few haven’t such as pearl jam, green day, foo fighters RHCP etc. I’m sure you can list a few more that you personally are aggrieved over not showing up at stradbally.
    The dates thing is important as a festival that is aligned to a particular weekend in the summer has to work with whose around. They can’t book acts that are touring America in august/September or are in some other part of the world. The music industry does not revolve around EP, it’s not like it’s coachella or Glastonbury which artists will change their touring plans for.

Snarky Snark Snark

**** Harris , **** Belvin.

All that matters is that I’ve had a nice kebab, am currently having a nice Guinness in O’Neills and am then heading in to air and it’s not pissing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Aaah ya know Seath its just Fanirish going bla bla bla trying to justify why the Picnic as now, hoping for some juicer stuff in the next announcement, and Fanirish just shut up and let us dream for a bit.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dav09

I'm very open minded about music, there's still decent pop music being made out there, happy to enjoy dance music of all sorts even somewhat enjoyed some of his recent music, but honestly could not get into Calvin Harris when I seen him last year at Primavera eventhough I though I might. The worse performer I seen there to be honest. I thought maybe he might play some of his old music but none, he just jumped around with smoke cannons and pyro for the 20 or so mins I could tolerate. Also don't think he was DJ'ing live, can't stand that particularly when someone is getting the money he is getting, the DJ'ing itself is a huge part of the art of a set, visuals were boring, one of the most bland sets I've ever heard. I made a joke earlier in the thread that the booker could have watched back his Oxegen 2009 set and thought 'this fella is great we must book him' without realising how much his sets/setup has changed, a few weeks later he was announced. I can't see how it was moved for him since the last FR gig he played here was last year where he headlined sharing the bill with the headliners of the likes of Lil Uzi Vert, Travis Scott and MK, he's a one man band type setup just him and a pair of decks, he can't be that difficult to book for one year. Got a very small crowd at Primavera too considering it was a prime slot, feel his ship has long sailed and overestimated his appeal now. There's really not a lot of hype around the festival particularly people my age that I know in the target audience, same as in the comments on their socials, I think they've overestimated the fact that it sells out every year before the lineup is out and expect it to continue doing so.

I'll probably go this year but it's really tough to justify it even with early birds. Hoping Nas will save the day, have always wanted to see him but very difficult to justify given the lineup there's probably 5 on there for me so far hoping a lot more decent acts to be announced, can see it as my last one at this point which is very sad. Also don't know how Nas, someone who is pretty much considered the best rapper of all time (or in pretty much every top 5 list) is lower down on the bill than Kodaline who couldn't win You're A Star back in the day and Gerry Cinnamon but that's a different discussion I suppose.

Having been dazzled by the most amazing show by Justice on da telly from Glastonbury it would be amazing if they were booked for EP as an alternative dance act to the Calvin Harris set, that means all the people who want to see sh1t dance music can go to Calvin and the rest of us flock to Justice. Probably not going to happen but I don't think they've announced any gigs in Ireland here yet.

Edit: They're in the US in August 8th damn.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

Snarky Snark Snark

Very enjoyable, actually really enjoyable. Their little lightbox is a very cool stage setting and it had me re-thinking my earlier view of them live from about 20 years plus ago in the olympia.

I'd thought they were dull live and I think the lightbox solves a problem where there's no focal point as they don't rely really on a lead singer / guitarist for the crowd to follow, but the box and the imagery for each song gives them that without having to change what they're doing on stage.

Would really like to see it again in the dark, the weather was perfect for an outdoor gig but could do with less light.

Along with moon safari, they really do have a banging collection of tunes to offer, very happy and thankful that i have tomorrow booked off.

Hopefully a second announcement coming soon with a few more acts to chew over.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭gkhant

That 'Justice' set was excellent last night, really wished I was there rather than watching ont telly!

The mixing of the tunes, including their best known along with that incredible light rig swirling around the stage... Wow!

Missed out seeing them at Forbidden Fruit because of lockdown but definitely on my must see list.

The sounds were good but the strobe lighting was off the scale. Odd that they’ve never done EP.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

• Advertisement

I would like a fresh announcement of acts.

Snarky Snark Snark

gig #3 on a very long weekend. Our brothers in elbow don’t ever miss. They really do restore faith in humanity, Garvey has his schtick but it’s a lovely big embracing one

Post edited by scruff monkey on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,477 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Second gig for me.

Guy is like a big warm blanket.

Took a while for the crowd to get going, but magnificent she says saved the day and turned them.

Glen on Saturday to finish the trilogy

Edit: oh and of course the mod father himself on Wednesday in Limerick

Snarky Snark Snark

#4 is tomorrow, in the sticky ridden hard and put away wet corner will be Suede and in the red fire breathing bevan corner will be the Manics, line up folks and place your bets, no one loses on this one!

(oh to be at Cardiff Castle on Friday when the tories are shanked)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

surely this is very late this year with the 2nd main announcement, 6 weeks to go. suuuuuuuurely

all I want is for them to announce more acts so I can be bitterly disappointed at the lack of bands I want to see, is that asking too much!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Fanirish

nah some years the second announcement/final announcement for main stages was around august bank holiday a month or so out. So possibly another two weeks until next and final main arena announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

You catch SY doing Daydream Nation at an early EP? Just checked and it was 2007. I also looked at the stage times to see why I missed them and realised that I went to Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip instead. Why did I do that????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

I was at it alright but it was just a regular SY gig not Daydream Nation. Great performance but not loud enough. Followed by The Stooges and Primal Scream, who were both excellent and loud enough. As for your decision? I can only assume you were in an altered state and/or with very good company who wanted Dan & Pip 😁

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Advertisement

I’d seen them doing Daydream at Primavera in May. THAT was noisy. Should have done it again but made a bad choice. 🥲

And how come no DN? They were doing it at fests and venues all Summer, including at the Roundhouse in London for the few days before EP. Was the Picnic not giving them a long enough slot? Must be the case as they were playing the main stage. Stooges and Primals class. Will forever regret not getting on stage for No Fun. Security pushed me back as I was climbing the barrier. Should have kept trying.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

Advertisement