Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Always a worrying trend to see these FTL hours as a target or ambition to be reached for maximum "efficiency".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Trampas

Do they need some cushion on flying hours to allow delays over the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

Maybe not parking half the 330 fleet for most of the winter might help productivity levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭knobtasticus

An article written by someone without a clue how the industry works. EI’s pilots fly a mix of short and long haul. It’s a wholly different operation to FR so it’s not possible to compare the hours flown. Regardless, there are no WC-imposed limits on total hours flown in EI and the pilots can only fly the rosters they’re given. There was also a significant number of flying hours lost last year due to that embarrassingly huge amount of third-party hire-ins that EI used.

And let’s be clear here - FR should absolutely not be the yardstick by which the rest of the industry is measured. There’s a reason FR is considered a feeder-airline for larger, more-reasonable operators. It’s a training organisation just as much as an airline due to the huge level of pilot turnover.

FTLs are limits, not targets and any airline that treats them as targets isn’t putting safety first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Their actions indicate that the union "hyberbole" was close to the mark;
    -Claiming (months ago) that pilots not working their days off was "unofficial industrial action"

-Claiming the 98% vote via electronic ballot wasn't valid.

-Claiming that the 99% vote achieved via paper ballot didn't allow enough time for everyone to vote.

-Sending threatening letters to pilots because they excercised their legal rights.
    -Threatening pilots with a change to the previously agreed sick leave policy.

-Only publishing 14 day roster last Friday when they are supposed to get a 28 day roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Phen2206

This time the “blame” for that one is squarely with management, not with the pilots. EI’s schedule is very seasonal and as someone else said, the A330s tend to be parked up for most of the winter with not much to do. Finding work and routes for these airplanes to do throughout the year, and not just summer, is management’s job. If the fleet was flown throughout the entire year as much as it is in May-September then productivity statistics would be a lot better and there would be no headline here. The introduction of LAS is a good starting point but there’s more the fleet could do during winter which would improve the stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭shamrocka330

But they don’t park half their A330 fleet for most of the winter? Aircraft that are due maintenance checks are sent down to Bordeaux during the quiet off season but, at most, there would be 2 aircraft out of service at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭jj880

Anyone know when the next disrupted flights will be announced? I need to know about Geneva to Dublin Monday 8th July...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Maybe not "half", but certainly 25% are parked from mid-January to late February. (while 25% are getting heavy maintenance)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭shamrocka330

25% parked and 25% getting heavy maintenance….which is half! 😂 look, don’t want to ruin your point but your numbers are a bit exaggerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I wouldn’t say half are parked, but utilisation is nearly halved! Off the top of my head it’s over 40 flights a week less on the 330! That’s a lot of idle hours.

AGP & FAO go back to the 320

YYZ goes to 321

LAX, SFO, SEA & MCO all go 3 weekly

ORD goes to daily (6 weekly for a short period)

BOS goes daily

The 107 drops to a 321

MIA and LAS come online!

That’ll really skew averages! And as someone said above, I wouldn’t be using FR as a yardstick for FTL limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

perhaps that’s some of the productivity/flexibility EI wants to discuss, the ability of non-EI pilots to fly EI aircraft or making EI pilots available for these unproductive aircraft to be deployed in other IAG operations during the down time. It’s all speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Is there around twelve pilots a plane ?If they are grounded as much as you say surely there's time off?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,247 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

8hrs of talks done.

Labour court has informed EI & IALPA that it will be formally intervening with a hearing to be held on Wednesday

Work to rule continues but labour court requesting no further escalation before the hearing takes place

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Phen2206

Yes if opportunities to fly more during winter came up the pilots certainly wouldn’t refuse (and contractually couldn’t anyway). Operating for other IAG airlines could be an option but I’d be surprised if BA and IB don’t have their own issues with seasonality (albeit less so than EI) so this probably would have happened already if it was a runner. EI did do winter wet leases for Novair back around 10 years ago so something similar could certainly work again. But you won’t see non-EI pilots flying EI aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

That’s a good idea, fly them three quarters empty for the winter and burn plenty of fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Whatever about the hours from FR, pilot issues were in the news a few years ago again. It's probally all changed with the LRs. Would be good to know 2019 averages and 2023 even accounting for loses due to hire in's to see if it's true or not.

"Aer Lingus' A330 captain hours will be circa 695 this year versus an industry averages of 850.

"This makes Aer Lingus one of the less-tasked pilot bodies in Europe," 

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-in-pilot-standoff-as-captains-refuse-5000-extra-to-fly-on-their-day-off/37489498.html

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So flights are still in danger after 8 hours of talks ?

Christ electing a pope wouldn't take so long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Looks like they've gone further apart with Aer Lingus not budging and on top of that requesting new demands that the court has not seen yet hence the decision to intervene on Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Yes, saw an interview with the IALPA president. He said exactly that - not only were Aer Lingus not willing to budge, they brought new demands. Hard to know how this will pan out now. Will the court take a dim view of the seeming unwillingness of EI management to negotiate in good faith? I think the more likely outcome is a recommendation that will see both parties get something, but if IALPA stick to their principle of not buying an inflationary pay rise, then we could be heading for an escalation of strike action. How long will we have to wait for the labour court recommendation?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭knobtasticus

Without speaking to any of my mates in EI - and this is purely conjecture - it wouldn’t surprise me if the company had now demanded an expansion of flex rostering as part of any pay deal. A touchy subject that had been intentionally avoided by IALPA in these negotiations. Knowing what I do about the internal attitude to flex, I can say with certainty, if flex has been thrown into the mix, any deal - with any amount of money - that involves an expansion of flex will be rejected immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭notuslimited

What is flex rostering and why is it contentious.

Secondly, The Labour Court issued a recommendation a couple of weeks ago which was accepted by IAG and not accepted by IALPA. What is different this time round in terms of their role? I am not quite clear how their role is now changed based on the following which is taken from the Labour Court website.

The role of the Court in the resolution of industrial relations disputes is to act as a Court of last resort.  In other words, local dispute resolution arrangements in the organisation / company and other dispute resolution machinery of the State should have been fully utilised before a case comes to the Court. The Labour Court provides an industrial relations service to consider disputes that parties have been unable to resolve themselves or with the assistance of the Workplace Relations Commission. Such disputes can be referred to the Court for an ‘opinion’ in the form of a Recommendation of the Court which is not binding on the parties.

Post edited by notuslimited on

I wouldn't say further apart.

Only the other day the labour court declined to intervene as there wasn't a basis for talks to be successful. The fact that they went for 8 hours yesterday and the court will now have a formal hearing shows to me anyway that they are closer than before potentially. If the court didn't see grounds for a deal they'd have left it as it was last night and said we'll check back in next week for example.

They'll go through the hearing tomorrow and issue a recommendation. while non binding it'll likely be the best possible as it sees it, after which you'd expect IALPA members to vote on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Decent amount of free time in the winter for A330 pilots. Short haul pilots are on a 5-3 split so the winter is almost as busy as summer for them.

Let’s say the pilots accept 12.5% and continue some sort of work to rule as seems ei want more if they go above that figure. How can we not still see cancellations

They won't accept 12.5% , if whatever the labour court recommend is around that 12.5% then it'll be straight out rejected by IALPA most likely. You also can't accept a deal and then continue industrial action.

Work to rule is going to continue until there's a deal that gives both sides some of what they were looking for. Neither are going to want to look like they've lost.

If the labour court recommendation is rejected then I'd expect more all out strike days to be called.

Post edited by Tenger on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Not sure the WTR is having the impact EI Pilots probably thought it would. Maybe they'll switch to a more aggresive type all out strikes going forward until this is resolved. 24 hour type stoppage, 3 times over a week maybe. That would impact either day of each strike day also.

Honestly, i'm not sure where either side is at, at the moment.

Oh absolutely the next step is more all out strikes longer than 8 hours.

EI do seem to be handling the WTR relatively well, albeit it's 100% hitting their pocket. I've seen passengers being re-routed with Air France and business passengers getting an upgrade by being re-routed onto AF new A350 business class for example.

I'd been thinking along the lines of what you said there as well, more frequent ones on alternate days, that would have a huge impact with crews out of place. It'd absolutely cripple the EI network if they wanted to go down that route.

• Advertisement

I was more if they did which I don’t expect they would. Is the 12.5% no strings attached?

Advertisement