Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I make a living off the farm

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well, it isn't an either/or. With the labour shortage, part time work initially may suit you best. Doesn't have to be in the same area as you currently employed. Know one guy who has a trade but went working for other farmers, had a rota going of one day on different farms in the week. Is now fully farming himself. Build it up, strictly separate out your farm business and ensure it can stand on its own feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭emaherx

Plenty of unhappy people with no shortage of money in all walks of life including farming. You obviously need enough to live your family's lifestyle comfortably which in itself can vary massively from one family to the next, but if you can achieve that and actually like the work you do it's worth more than a high income doing work you've little interest in.

It's not like life's always going to be a bed of roses either, life has problems and issues that no amount of money can sort, but being close to home and family for these is worth a lot in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

I reckon you will find more unhappiness in poverty than wealth with people in fairness,

Can't say I have enough experience of either to be honest.
    But there is a big difference between living in poverty and being happy to not have to earn all you can by sacrificing your own time and interests for some corporate entity. Personally I work 9-2 off farm (from home, so never really off farm), my wife has also cut back to a 9-5 4 days a week and we are happier and earning less, but we have not fallen into poverty either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

"When poverty comes in the door, love goes out the window" (proverb).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Seadin

Your will starve trying to live off the farm. Better off keeping onto your daytime job if possible.

Loads of other options than just keeping the day job that they admit to not liking. But they've only ever had one post on boards and that was over a year ago, pretty sure they're not following this anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭TheClubMan

If only it was that simple! I paid a visit to an organic horticultural farmer last weekend. I have a new found respect for their farming. Very precise and tedious work to make the most from every inch of ground that they have. They too have been feeling the effects of the weather since last July like every other farmer. They're behind on planting and have had very little to harvest in the last few weeks due to the drop in temperatures

Its been a tough year on growing anything alright, I'd say even this year's tree ring could be a thin one!

I suppose I was referring to a well refined and established operation where things are down pat. I can't remember rightly at this remove only to say I was amazed at the streamliing and efficiency giving such good returns.

Of course it took a fair bit of hard work through the learning curve to get to that point, but nothing beyond the reach of any one with the interest and motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Aly Daly

My expience of farming is limited to summer grazing store to beef bullocks with friesan or dairy x of some type,absolutely love it as a lifestyle but as for making money consistently year on year absolutely not,making money from this system when showing a true net profit figure over an average of 5 years not possible in my humble opinion.Good result would be not eating into subs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭older by the day

Would you be interested in going organic. If you're saying the summer grazing system is break even at best. You will still have the lifestyle with an extra couple of hundred an hectare. I read you can outwinter at 1LU/HA, so less cattle and finish them. Because that summer grazing was always a loss making exercise. Buying dear in spring and selling to th tanglers in Autumn.

If I finished with dairy/dairy beef, I would become a subsidy chaser and a couple of cattle to talk too, and the topper as my hobby

Older by the day I am not in a position to winter cattle here as I have a business interest that requires my attention,the last few lines of your message is definitely me.I have 22mth/25mth AAx,HRx bought at average 510 kg in early May here at the moment on good grass & I hope to finish them on 3kg of nuts over 60 days for 1st week in October approximately,the AAx which i haven't had before are tight as drums & look like fantastic converters of grass,the HRx are taller obviously & slower to fill out there frames which would be the sort i would be more used to.The only type of bullocks I haven't tried here are quality continentals as they always looked very expensive.I like the dairy cross as they are quiet which is good.I realise this system is probably all wrong & welcome your advice.

If I knew how to make some profit with out wintering, I would tell you. I rear some of my own dairy/beef calfs to yearlings. About 200/250 a head profit on average. But its the subsidy and milk that lets me stay full-time.

I don't think there is any big profit in any system.

I see here in West Cork, lads diversing, into agritourism and food. Pods and huts ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The problem with organics is crying to source stock. The amount of lads that have converted and are intending to buy in stock is significant, the effects will not be seen until next year as most bought conventional stock before conversion.

As well when conversion payments ends for many smaller lads it will take the gloss off the system. Nothing wrong with dairyX beef, it just knowing the values.

I keep getting an itch for a few cull cows. I not sure would I be holding you cattle until early October even if all will be still under 30 months. Cattle killed in October woukd need to be April born to be under 30 months

Why was it May before you bought. Was your land very heavy. Even at that I be buying in March/April, if good land I be buying in February especially if ground is rested since early October.

With the AA cattle it all depends on the frame they have if they are tightening up already they will not need ration for 8-9 weeks if you do they will be over fat. Hard to beat a few Friesians in a summer grazing game especially a few 3 year olds

Slava Ukrainii

I think most people would consider 200/250 a big net profit or certainly I would,at least it is sustainable as a farming entity,I presume the catch is that on most dairy farms there would not be enough of them or land to carry them,I would say approximately 20% of the stores I buy originated from the farm of there birth & I do like to see it on there cards,all others sold as calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭893bet

I would say the majority of the organic converters are sucker farmers so will have stock to sell. Not as easy to match with a buyer but I think there will be plenty of stores and weanling next year.

That 200 profit does not include, dragging milk across yards, up at night for three months, dragging straw and hay for them, treating scour, training them to the fencer, drawing nuts to them for 300 days.

A lot of the hard work is done in the first 12 months

Yes if you put labour in as a cost as all businesses must we are reverting back to the word hobby I eluded to however you look to be going well.

Very dry good shale land here March was the wettest in 60 years so not sure where you are heading there,I noticed very few out at this time other than messing with the in out system once they have thoroughly ploughed it,April shocking as well & I would hardly buy cattle to finish & the first plan is to intentionally go out to purchase cattle out of a shed who would not have been let out in there homeplace to face horrendous hardship standing around in pissing rain & cold weather as it was combined with a paddock system devoid mostly of shelter.Normally I would buy in February or March depending on weather I have the option of putting them in on good haylage if weather poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭kk.man

Another thing ppl forget in organic farming is the harder work. That's OK till you get older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Can you elaborate? I don't see it, unless it's pulling ragwort😁

Straw beded sheds, spreading dung, managing grass, waiting longer for crops to come in, traveling longer to buy organic feed stuff and the extra paperwork.

Sheep should take care of your ragwort.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭893bet

The only one of the above that could be “hard work” would be the straw bedding. And negated easily by the fact that you will have to keep less stock (less buying, less selling, less calving, tagging, AI, etc etc), less dosing, needing to make less fodder, spreading no fertilizer, no spraying, feeding no nuts (in general as at 800 a tonne plus) etc etc.

Are you farming organically?

I'm making the same money as I was farming chemically with an awful lot less work.

No. I have no doubt there are pros and cons for both.

A farm can be both simultaneously. If I accredited every hour on the farm to the business, then my hourly rate would be very small, but in reality much of what I'm doing is fluting about rooting at some side-projects, old machines, procrastinating and even day dreaming. Some days/weeks I'm very busy / productive, others I could do most jobs in less than an hour a day but could still end up entertaining myself with something fairly trivial. (Pretty sure I'd have been fired from most of my previous jobs if I had of treated them in a similar way.)

It is important that you can pay yourself and not just be worrying about if the farm can pay for itself. On the positive side on-farm hobbies are still farm expenses.

Very well said.

Advertisement