Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭DataDude

I don’t think many people would argue it’s harder than ever to buy a house and significantly so vs decades ago. Maybe a few would but not anyone who’s actually thought about it.

But purely in the context of this affordable housing scheme which is getting tonnes of negative attention in the media and from opposition parties - In 2024, it is remarkable that two teachers can buy a new house so close to the centre of a thriving capital city.

I think the government should get credit for this but instead emotion has again taken over the narrative with articles referring to surveys of ‘people’ saying they should be under €300k. All logic out the window…just ‘because’.

An expectation of any Irish government magically making new 3 bed houses in the capital city be 5x average income, completely ignoring that this isn’t the case anywhere in the world, takes the same level of head in the sand ignorance as the boomer talking about avocado toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

In Cork 2022 was crazy. There was better value in first half of 23 than in second half of 22. But thats the purchase price. The people who 'overpaid' in 22 locked in lower mortgage rates that were hugely valuable. The banks were offering in the 2% still when it was clear ECB rates were about to explode. People rightly wanted to buy to lock in low rates. I bought in h1 23 and it was competitive but ok market. We put house on market in Sep 23 and it was madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,611 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ah here. It's hardly "remarkable" in any way, shape, or form. As someone else posted above - 100k is the top 7% of earners…………. would you really class Coolock as being in the top 7% of locations to live in terms of desirability?

It is absolutely remarkable in the global context of a capital city in a thriving first world economy for a brand new 3 bed house so close to the city to be affordable to two teachers. This is highly unusual.

Coolock just purely as a location in isolation (ignoring the house itself) is probably close. Purely by being in County Dublin at all automatically makes it top 20% of the country. Being so close to the City Centre would put it above many places in the outskirts of Dublin or some of the rougher areas in West Dublin.

Throw in that you’re basing the calculation on the most expensive new build 3 bed houses massively changes the equation also as these will be more desirable than an average house.

There are units in the scheme as cheap as €260k.

I think there is more than a hint of delusion in that post.

You do know that there would still be plenty of people alive who would have protested at being moved out to "the sticks" to the likes of Coolock or Ballyfermot into social housing in the form of newly built estates on recently sprawling farmland?

Even ignoring the fact that the State adjudges those two teachers as being unable to afford in that area without help, how far out from the centre of the city do you think would be a reasonable distance that could should go to be able to buy reasonable housing based on their own capacity without subsidisation? 8-10 miles? Should it be farther than one would expect in say London or NY?

When we decide on the appropriate distance for that couple, we can then start to consider the couples who aren't both college educated and then the single people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭hometruths

There are units in the scheme as cheap as €260k.

Is this just after HTB/First Home Scheme accounted for, or are there units with asking prices of 260k?

1 beds starting €260k, 2beds €350k, 3beds 400k. All before the other schemes you mention to further reduce the price.

This is an incredible scheme that will allow relatively low income households escape the rent trap and buy within a 20 min cycle of the city centre. It will be oversubscribed multiple times over because it’s great value. We desperately need more of these. But of course in Ireland emotional nonsense takes over, people pick the most expensive unit in the place and universally criticise it.

Did you realise that purely by being in virtue of Dublin, a location is automatically within the top 20% desirability of places to live in the country?

We should all take a moment to think about the plight of the poor divils living in Crosshaven or Montenotte in Cork, or out in Galway or even the likes of Enniskerry in Wicklow. Struggling away down there with the hopes of one day making it up to the big schmoke to retire in luxury in Darndale

The irony of that post implying ignorance of others. But how and ever.

If a kid is trying to learn how to take a free, and he puts it wide on the same side of the goal by about the same amount, then the kid will eventually learn to readjust his aim towards the other side until he is getting them over the black spot.

What we seem to have with poor innocent EAs is that their kicks are all landing 20 foot outside the right post. Over and over again. Wide at around the same point. If only there was a way they could figure out how to adjust their aim to get their kicks closer to the goals………. something complicated like aim a bit to the left????

An AMV is supposed to be an estate agent's fair assessment of what the property is worth. Perhaps there should be a published and binding reserve price as well as the AMV. So if the EA thinks a place is worth 400k but knows that the seller will only accept 500k then list both.

By listing with a reserve of 500k and the AMV of 400k, the EA is basically saying "we think this property is actually worth 400k but the buyer won't sell it for less than 500k". Which puts a whole new spin on things. I think that if that was done, you'd find that the AMVs jumped pretty quickly.

I take your point on the location and the price.

But I also see Datadude's point about the cheaper offerings, I had only seen the headlines about 475k houses for couples earning over 106k and thought that's madness.

It is still pretty mad, just not quite as mad as I first thought!

There will be. few suckers who get burnt buying 475k houses, but they'll probably be ok as taxpayer will bail them out. People buying for 260 and 350k will probably be ok too.

• Advertisement

This is just bizarre denial of facts. The vast majority of Dublin eircodes are more expensive than the rest of the country. Picking a few exceptions - Greystones, Bray, Enniskerry, parts of Galway which cumulatively represent a tiny fraction of the country is very odd counter to a top 20% claim. What if we start naming every area cheaper than Darndale? It would be a long post…

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-rppi/residentialpropertypriceindexapril2021/housepricesbyeircode/

If you normalise for average house size being smaller the gap becomes even more stark. Prices in North County Dublin are 25% higher than Wicklow, the most expensive area outside Dublin. There obviously small desirable exceptions. But on average Dublin prices almost anywhere > vast majority of country.

https://blocks.roadtolarissa.com/pinsterdev/raw/b52f2a466477d05576bc/?s=commuter

My point was not on specific units or prices, but just on the overall system whereby a household earning over 100k is adjudged to be one which is in need of social support to even be able to afford a house in what was traditionally a working class area (and still is really).

You are equating prices with desirability. There will be a correlation but they are not the same thing. Someone living in an average area of Galway isn't necessarily clutching their lotto ticket on a Saturday night, dreaming of being able to up sticks to move to Blanchardstown just because the house prices might be higher there.

I genuinely think one would have to be deluded to think that 93%, or even 80%, of the people in the country would prefer to leave where they are to move to Coolock if they could.

You were the one who linked desirability and price by saying top 7% price should equal top 7% ‘desirability’! You’re now suggesting these two things are not directly linked…so should these houses in Coolock be priced based on some other subjective desirability metric and ignore the economic reality of Dublin prices > elsewhere?

Most people are happy where they are but price per sqm is by far the best, objective measure of how desireable somewhere is. It’s literally the measure of the premium people are willing to pay to live there relative to another area.

The correlation will be higher at the top of the scale. If you are going to live in Dublin and you are in the top 7% of earners, you will likely want to live in what you consider to be a desirable location. Because you get to choose with your own money.

If you are in the bottom X% of society in terms of wealth, you will be inelastic to house prices as you won't be paying those prices anyway. You will also not have the same choice in terms of exact location. You'll be on a list and then allocated a house eventually and you'll take that. The price the council paid for that house won't be determined by your individual preferences.

I really don’t get this view. The most common argument you see on house prices is that a guard and a nurse can’t afford to buy a house and raise a family in most parts of Dublin.

There are 2 possible responses to this issue

• Do nothing. Hope Dublin defies the reality that exists in almost every single major city in the world and just somehow has affordable houses in the city (I.e. live in fantasy land)
    • Build state subsidised accommodation in the city, sell it slightly below market price and offer other subsidies to cater to those too rich for social, but not rich enough to buy in Dublin.

The idea that housing should be two tier - private or social is always going to miss out a cohort of hardworking people who need to live in Dublin by virtue of their jobs but can’t afford to because they get squeezed out by higher earners yet will never qualify for a free house.

I’m generally an advocate for government staying out of things, but if there was one place I’d be happy to see more money spent it would be this cohort. Hopefully this scheme is replicated across Dublin.

Is Dublin a "major city"? In global terms? Or a fart in the wind in terms of population?

The population of the entire county (not just the city) is about the same as the population of London was 200 years ago.

I don't think do nothing is the answer.

On the face of it building state subsidised housing on state land so there is a supply of affordable house for lower income workers is a good idea.

I am slightly skeptical that 3 bed houses ranging from 400 to 475k is a good result in the context of a supply of affordable houses on state land.

And I am certain that subsidising these houses to the tune of 30% shared equity to make the figures work is a disaster.

Genuinely I’m interested in what your basis for deciding whether those prices are reasonable or not? They’re cheaper than current market prices so that box is ticked. You then need to decide if market prices are unreasonable.

If I was asked to do up a report to answer that question for the state I would immediately look at other cities around the world with economies and income profiles like Dublin and see the equivalent pricing. By any analysis you’ll find €400-€475k for a 3bed in that context is at the extreme low end of a peer analysis.

Not acknowledging that global context and just wanting Ireland to be the exception is the emotional thinking that plagues housing debate in this country.

• Advertisement

If I was Minister and I said "DataDude, I've got a big site of state owned land, and big bucket of money to throw at the problem, and I want to provide affordable housing in Dublin for lower income workers, bring me some ideas"

And you came back with "Well we just look at what the prices are in other cities and set the price accordingly, don't worry if the lower income workers can't afford it, we can use that big bucket of money to sort that problem" I'd throw you ot on your ear.

We can have one thing or the other.

Look at other cities and just say well hell everythings expensive everywhere, in that case I'd be happier to let the market decide totally and remove any interference, let lower income workers find their feet and they they have to live further out because Coolock has become gentrified by market forces then so be it.

Or throw billions of good money after bad trying to make houses more affordable for lower income workers, but be realistic about what is affordable for them, and try and channel that money so it represents better value for both for the tax payer and the lower income workers.

Instead we seem hell bent on propping up our market with billions of taxpayers money and thinking it's prefectly normal, because sure haven't you seen the prices in London lately.

I think the approach taken is the second one you’ve outlined.

Is it cheaper than market prices yes. Is it cheaper than global equivalents, yes (a lot). The question then just becomes how subsidised should they be. Naturally with finite resources you need to choose whether to subsidise fewer houses a lot, or lots of houses a little. Given by most reasonable assessments, Ireland has a bigger issue with housing shortages than housing prices, the latter seems sensible to me.

I think the Coolock scheme represents roughly a 20% market rate discount. That level of discount can be debated of course but personally I’d be uncomfortable discounting too much more for two reasons:

1. Tax payer value for money. At a certain point the state is just lottoing off hundreds of thousands to a few lucky winners. The discount needs to be sensible to avoid being ‘unfair’. If the state discount starts becoming many years of an average net income, the majority of people who don’t get one are going to feel pretty aggrieved.
    2. You get these weird cut offs where someone just over the limit of affordability is incentivised to lower their income for the chance at a mega sale. Arguably we already have some of these income traps throughout society. Wouldn’t like to create another major one.

I think to really compare to other cities you'd need to compare a similar state backed scheme - built on state land with final build/purchase cost subsidised to the same degree.

I realise it would be very difficult to find a comparable example, but I am sceptical that this coolock scheme would compare favorably.

leaving aside the state land and subsidies, do you have a specific location in a comparable city in mind that you think is a fair comparison to Coolock in Dublin?

Ad do you mean it is 20% discount to market after subsidies rather than asking price is 20% discount?

Just for clarity, I agree state could easily sell these houses for much much cheaper than they are. But for the reasons outlined above I don’t think it would be a good idea to have them priced too far from their market value. 20% lower than market seems reasonable to me.

Not in particular, I just know that property prices in Dublin are among the cheapest in any sort of reasonable peer group analysis. So a 20% discount on those prices is naturally going to compare very favourably.

Not in particular, I just know that property prices in Dublin are among the cheapest in any sort of reasonable peer group analysis

I'm a bit sceptical about this as well! I certainly am yet to see any reasonable analysis on Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The thing about teachers and several other professions within the PS is getting up the payscales. In thenext 5 years her pay will jump 10k in today's terms not allowing for pay increases

People make choices, the government give individuals options. The reality is housing in Dublin will be expensive not just because of demand but because of the shortage of professional, skilled and unskilled building labour in Dublin. Add to this demand and the present building regulations and we are where we are.

So a single person with an income of 50k who qualified for maximum HTB and has 30k in savings could buy a one bed. A young couple on a joint income of 80k with with HTB and 5k in savings could buy a two bed or a person in there mid 30's with an income of 65k, HTB and savings of 60k could buy a two bed.

A 260k mortgage over 35 years is slightly less than 1100/ month.

If you are buying by yourself it's unlikely you will have the options that couple both earning thise sort of incomes will have.

A top 7% earner ( actually anyone earning 60-70k+ should have savings, I would expect a person earning 100k to have savings of that amount within 5 years of earning thise numbers. This all effects there buying ability.

With 4X income, HTB, savings they should be able to buy a two bed apartment ( adequate for a single person) within a reasonable distance of the city center.

It Might be a fart in the wind as you put it. However its a capital city of a wealthy European country.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

The 20% discount is on the headline rate before any subsidies. Conveniently for this scheme the 20% discount makes it eligible for HTB (another €30k discount) and FHS.

Even taking the most expensive example of €475k in this estate (most will be much much cheaper than this for lower income workers). Assume HTB, FHS and a 10% deposit for the applicant, the buyers will have a monthly mortgage payment of around €1,200…for an A rated 3 bed house in Dublin City…and the rhetoric is that these are not affordable…

Anybody who secures a house in this place whether it be for €260 or €475 will be pinching themselves every morning whilst everyone else is complaining on their behalf that they were too expensive!

Kind of hard to compare as there are no other new builds advertised in Coolock.

But things have definitely got more unaffordable than I thought if market price for 3 bed is 600k in Coolock.

It's thus on paper the deal of a lifetime, load up on subsidies, buy the three bed at 475, wait a few years for any clawback period to expire, and sell for over 600k.

Even after you've settled the outstanding shared equity you'd be quids in.

What could possibly go wrong?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Montys return

To clarify a few points

• Minimum state equity is 5%, therefore market value of 3 beds is 500,000 and 2 beds 450,000.

• These are not eligible for the FHS, its affordable housing. Very similar scheme, except there is no service fee but the states equity must be redeemed after 40 years or in a few scenarios like selling or renting the house (rent a room excepted)

• You must borrow your full mortgage allowance, typically 4 times income or less if you can prove banks won't lend you the full amount.

• If eligible, HTB can be used as your deposit. But any saving in excess of that +30k or (or just 30k if not HTB eligible) will be added to deemed purchasing power and mean that it will increase the amount you pay and reduce the councils equity (actually think this is one of the better parts of the scheme).

What I'm curious about is that there are apartments from the same developers on sale in Donabate at full value for 340k. In Coolock, 500k for a 3 bed house.

So if apartments are actually cheaper to build, why do we not see more affordable options being delivered for sale without the need for state intervention beyond the provision of land within the City's environ?

Advertisement