Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ShineyShiney

The Connacht lads at the u20wc went well. Pity Flynn has to pull out I was looking forward to seeing what he had to offer.

On Patchel, lovely player but would we be better off trying to get our hands on someone who might ask questions of our two elder lemons when contract renewal time comes around?

Patchel would fit the bill for 6 months though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

I read elsewhere that Flynn's withdrawal was due to food poisoning rather than an injury. If so, we'll hopefully see him against Georgia and Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭greenkiwi1

Otere Black

Ex blues and Māori All Black latest rumor to take the 10 spot

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭briandebum

From what I can remember he was an absolutely bang average super rugby player. But I mean, I guess we'd take any sort of living breathing 10 at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭kita99

Does he quit current team? In the squads list of HP (24~25 season) of Urayasu D-Rocks (Japan), his name is still remaining. But in Japan, the contract is not so strict in many cases. So if there is mutual agreement, (I think) it's not impossible. And this team has been in low situation last season, so changed team by merge with other team. (new members by the merger involve Elton Jantjies) On the other hand, Urayasu city is well known by Tokyo Disney resort, but actually is not good for living or housing environment. So, it's no wonder that he or his family want to leave there.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,876 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just throwing other names out there, but tiaan falcon is a decent kiwi 10 plodding the boards in Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭theVersatile

He was unreal at U20s a few years ago. I think he was the same year as Aumua and Caleb Clarke when they absolutely obliterated Ireland.

yeah he was a real future star back then, never really happened for him at senior stage afterwards though. He had an injury ravaged 2019 and just went to japan after that, and is there since.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Conor15th

draw complete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,436 ✭✭✭✭phog

Unless (and I don't know can you) you get the two French teams then that's not a bad draw for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Conor15th

I believe we will play the two French teams, cheetahs and one of Cardiff or zebre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

They really don't help themselves with the complicated setup of groups. Like the URC there's an inherent unfairness for certain teams inbuilt into the european competition depending on geography.

As always it depends on how serious the French teams take it. I don't think Perpignan will care based on past experience but Lyon seem to take Europe a bit more seriously. Getting Zebre instead of Cardiff would be hugely beneficial. Cheetahs have shown they will be competitive too and I wouldn't fancy another South African trip.

Ideally for me we get Lyon and Cheetahs at home and Zebre and Perpignan away.

What has remained consistent in this tournament over the years is that if you are realistic about going far in the challenge cup side you need 1st or 2nd seed. I don't hold much hope but scraping through the group as a low seeding is wasting everyone's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Seems you were right, Flynn is in to start against Georgia. Extremely excited to see him play live, can't remember us ever producing a player like him. Will be good to see Naughton from the start, he seems to have very good fundamentals but hasn't been charged with leading the team from the start yet, Italy were a bit of a beaten docket by the time he came on. Interested to see if he can make good decisions and put his team in the right areas, as Jack Murphy does so effectively.

Treacy was good in the centre against Italy and I believe it's his favoured position, although he looks very much like he'll be a wing at senior level to me. He shouldn't be too far away from senior rugby but it's hard to see where his minutes will come from. Gavin is just a cut above at this level, the sequence where he made a clean break around halfway, then chased down the counterattacking Italian wing with the space of about a minute, was absurd. He needs to be playing senior rugby from the off next season. I think he could easily be in position to replace Bundee at 12 for the 25/26 season (assuming Bundee leaves at the end of his current contract), but may need a bit more time to establish himself if we see him as more of a 13.

I thought the 20s ran a similar attacking shape to ours, with lots of intricate passing. However, it was much more effective because there was more depth and deception, and the quality of the defence was far below what we encounter in the URC. I think the latter may be the biggest factor to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭KBurke85

cheetahs will playing their home games in Amsterdam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Josh Ioane close to a done deal according to galway bay

That would be a huge step up from any of the names mentioned here already

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/news/shane-gaughan-to-officiate-at-the-womens-u20s-six-nations/bp3073/

I remember him reffing a good few of my games when he must have been 20/21. He was very good, glad to see it working out well for him.

Was he one of the starting members of Maori AB who fought against Ireland (including Prendergast , Heff and others) at 2022? At that game, Last name of No.10 of Maori was Ioane who was a bit small player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Was on Reddit there and the kiwis don't seem to think much of him. I guess when you are shopping at Poundland you take what you can get and hope it still works when you get it home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The place to look for a 10 is South Africa. The Bulls have three very good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

Agreed, can't understand why more provinces aren't dipping into the SA talent pool.

Connacht (try from Gavin and Treacy) helped Ireland in spite of no help by IRFU at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

We need someone, Naughton looks like a good prospect and could be a long term starter but he's a long way away currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭serfboard

Yeah, Wikipedia has him at 1.76m (5ft 9 in old money) which would be small for an outhalf nowadays.

have you seen the size of the outhalf joining ulster from the hurricanes ? :D

6 women from Connacht was excellent in Palma. ( Kiripati who has not been named at first but appeared as substitute in missing player). Especially Faith Ovaiwe stood out. Connacht women will be more competitive at next inter province matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Josh Ioane confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,436 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

No definite mention of contract length but reads like a 1 year deal

that is a bloody great signing !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Announcement said for the 24-25 season so think we can assume its one year.

Not seen much of him but from the highlights I think it's fair to say he'll be a running threat in a way that no connacht ten since......….did we ever have a running threat out half lol!

From reddit looks like a guy with a lot of talent who hasn't progressed the way he might have hoped, which is something we should be looking to sign.

He was seen as the successor to Lima sopaga at the Highlanders and had a pretty good first main season at 10. After that he suffered from "swiss army knife" syndrome and played almost an equal amount at 10, 15 and 12. I was disappointed when he left the Highlanders, and we never really replaced him, faffing about with others like Freddy burns, patchell, Bryn gatland and Mitch hunt.

He hasn't been able to break into the starting 15 at the chiefs, and most of his sub appearances have been at 15.

Hopefully this move is to see him regain his main position at out half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

At a time when budgets are tight and the market isn't flowing with proven 10's, you'd have to say Ioane is a good signing on lateish notice. We badly need him to step up immediately and overtake Carty if we want to do anything of note in 2024/25.

• Advertisement

Assume he'll play Mitre 10? Wonder when he'll arrive, need him here for preseason ideally if he's to come in as first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

That is a fantastic signing.

A few seasons ago he was the next bit hope for NZ future, few problems with partying / being behind established names have stunted his growth but providing he's bought into it, has a v high ceiling.

More of a potential superstar signing than Morgan for Ulster, imo as an Ulster fan.

It says he has joined for the 24/25 season but doesn't mention anything else. I would hope he is here for pre-season as it really doesn't make sense if he is not.

Preseason started either last Monday or next Monday so I'm not sure he'll make the start of it!

Considering the timing this looks a good signing. I think his highlight reel would suggest that he would have been very well suited to previous Connacht playing styles. Hopefully we will have consigned last season's shovelball to the bin and we get to see his and jacks passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

There’s the makings of a really exciting backline now. Just hope the coaches can get the most out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

That is a big hope. We need the coaching ticket to improve massively on last year..

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Great to see Cordero playing for Argentina tomorrow, looked like his international days were over

Challenge cup fixtures

Home Zebre 7/12/24 Away Perpignan 15/12/24

Home Lyon 11/1/25 Away Cardiff 17/1/25

Why are we playing both URC teams?

Would rather Cardiff at home rather than Zebre, hard to see 4 wins out of that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Really? Home games are very winnable and depending on what way perpignan treat tournament that could definitely be another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

It appears that they decided to go with three groupings of 2 teams in each pool.

Each pool has a French pair, a URC pair, and a mixed pair (Pool A’s mix is an Invitational team plus a URC team, Pool B’s is an English team plus a URC team, Pool C’s is an English team plus an Invitational team).

Connacht were drawn out of the hat to pair with Cheetahs.

Play all teams of the other groupings.

Pool A
    Group 1 (URC) Cardiff, Zebre
    Group 2 (Fra) Lyon, Perpignan
    Group 3 (Invit&URC) Cheetahs, Connacht.

Pool B, like above but Emirates Lions paired with Newcastle Falcons.

Pool C, Black Lions paired with Gloucester to make three groupings.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

The Kiwi's over on Reddit don't seem enthused at all by him, sounds like he could be another lad on a Mils Muliania gap year boozing & riding it up around Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

If he has any cop on he'll take the Pita Ahki outlook and view at a chance to get a big contract in France. He's still young enough if he has the right attitude. I'm not sure if Bundee is the man to be the wise head putting the arm round the shoulder though 😅

• Advertisement
Advertisement