Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outer Range - Amazon Prime - (***Spoilers***)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

2 episodes in - what a cracking show. Aside from all-round great acting, it's straight into the meat of the mystery, piled onto the background mystery of a disappearance, rushing into conflict, and snippets of dimensional entanglements. Really hoping this delivers on the very impressive start.

If slow-burn drama featuring a host of odd-ball characters with the addition of a sci-fi element is your thing, this should be of interest. The sci-fi element is introduced early, but it turns out the increasing bizarreness of the characters

is rooted in portal occurrences i.e. it's not a mere MacGuffin, but a central feature that has impacted on the characters.

The tone is quite uneven, and by the end, it goes nuts. However, it's not just nuts, it's the mutt's nuts. Excellent stuff that starts off slow and broody and morphs from a cowboy low-key sci-fi mystery into Leftovers/Dark style territory.

Can't wait for season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,117 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Amazon Prime Video has renewed “Outer Range” for a second season. Charles Murray, who is under an overall deal at Amazon Studios, is joining the series as showrunner after Season 1 was showrun by creator Brian Watkins. Watkins will continue executive producing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

hrmmm.. wonder if that will affect the feel of the show

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Nice.

Hopping there’s plenty more hole action.

Season 2 dropped today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭kerplun k

that’s just filled a hole In my weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I find this quite similar to Dark, even down to the audio effects/music, and flickering lightbulbs. A bit too much like it. Entertaining enough though.

• Advertisement

And just like Dark, I'm re-watching season 1 before I watch season 2.

Just finished re-watching season 1 before I start on season 2. If a series is good, I'll usually watch the last episode of the previous season; after dipping into the last episode, I realized I had to dip into the penultimate one. Then I realized I had to watch the whole lot again because there was so much I had forgotten. Really glad I did - there was some crucial scenes that I'm not even sure I had realized the importance of first time round. Just as enjoyable on a re-watch, maybe even more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭larchielads

any news on season 3?, its one of the the best tv shows ive watched recently

Yes I think this is very good and I think S2 was better than S1. Will Patton is a great actor, seen him in a lot of things recently, and I like the native Indian's County Sheriff performance as well. Some great imagary, although fictionally set in Wymoing shot in New Mexico and California. Looking forward to season 3 and I'd image that would be the last.

Season 1 dips its toes into sci-fi wtf'ery, and season 2 wades in.

It's Yellowstone meets Dark. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I wasn't impressed with S2. I think a good marker of the longevity potential for a high concept show is what happens and changes in season 2 vs. 1; what was answered, were new concepts and questions raised etc. If so the writers have a competent plan forward, and if not they had some cool ideas initially and don't really know where to go with them (let alone add more). So what changed from S1 to S2? Pretty much nothing, things happened in a fairly predictable manner (some of them repainted repeats of S1 storybeats) and we learned absolutely nothing new. It's well made but tbh S2 may aswell not have happened, it didn't advance the story at all.

Ah what you mean nothing happened. Did we not get in S2 the explanation of Royal's true history and the added mystery of who Autumn is or might be amongst other things.

I guffawed when I read this, and was going to respond, starting with "I couldn't fail to disagree more", but realized even apart from the two main things you've listed, there's so much stuff that did move the story forward that it it'd be too big a task. It's only then that I realized that there is no reference to Outer Range in the post. It's like a cut'n'paste critique from a generic film school script analysis. Nonsense when applied to Outer Range.

I had just completed watching the whole Yellowstone series before watcing Outer Range. It did feel a bit weird at the beginning going from that to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

There were events but the story itself did not move significantly - the difference between What and Why. Since it was brought up the cross time character links were obvious even before spelled out at the end of season 1, so absolutely nothing new there. Some characters went in, some came out, but nothing really new happened in terms of concept. Zip. If you are watching this like a soap and are happy to see the same things happening to different people sure I can see why you think there's enough moving it along, if you care about the high-concept aspect then I can't believe you're that easily satisfied.

To sum up:

By the end of Season 1 we knew Royal was from the past, we knew Autumn was Amy, Billy was apparently dead and 2 other characters had gone through to different timelines. Paw Tillerson was trying to get control of that pasture. And we had a scientist sniffing around the pit.

At the end of Season 2 we had a little more of Royal in the past, we had more of 'ohmagawd Autumn is Amy' with the extremely obvious pushing of herself into the pit event to close that loop, Billy is Dead…again…and the 2 other characters have returned. Paw Tillerson is still trying to get control of that pasture. And that scientist is still sniffing around the pit.

Sooooo……

• Advertisement
Advertisement