Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The polls have been wrong for years now. MAGA broke polling. Social media broke polling. Multiple election cycles MAGAs who shouted "Red Wave November" citing "polls" have been left eating lemons. The result is still yet to be determined. I can say with reasonable certainty what won't work, and that's parachuting in someone new, raises far too much hay (eg. why not Kamala Harris? a X+Kamala ticket? etc it will shatter the democratic coalition no matter what you do - which is precisely what MAGA etc. want to see, they want another 2016 like split between the hillary and bernie camps) there's a reason why MAGAs have been wishcasting for that outcome for - 4, 5 years now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Biden ADDRESSES NATION on SCOTUS Immunity Ruling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Lol I don't use delivery apps, I go get stuff myself because I'm not a lazy bastard and they are a rip off. It was capriottis, we don't have Publix here, but I wouldn't call that gourmet. A cheese steak and a "bobbie" if you must know. No extras but I did give a tip.

Ah so you were exaggerating, and including a tip in your claim that your sandwich order at a "fast casual restaurant" which you claimed was a "basic" commodity, was $40 for 2.

Thank you for clarifying you were not being completely honest.

fast casual restaurant, found primarily in the United States and Canada, does not offer full table service, but advertises higher quality food than fast food restaurants, with fewer frozen or processed ingredients. It is an intermediate concept between fast food and casual dining.

Wouldn't call that "gourmet" you say, yet, they offer a … Wagyu steak sub roll?

😂 (I am LMFAO rn, what can I say)

Or ooh, we have "The Bobbie" (wait you say you ordered) a thanksgiving dinner on a bread roll - at 2300+ calories you could feed a family of 4 off one of them!

I think I found your problem (and it's not Joe Biden)

(Prices from their Rock Hill SC location)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,688 ✭✭✭✭briany

Sure, the polls could be wrong and have been , but that cuts both ways and also includes the possibility that the numbers are actually worse for Biden, not better. This is how it went in the 2020 election where Biden had some big leads that didn't actually materialise while results in other states were within a couple of points of the polls.

Whatever shortcomings that polling might have, you can be sure that political operatives aren't using divination to determine where to concentrate campaigning. They're using empirical methods to gauge the intentions of likely voters, ie polling.

Overall, the message of, "we have no other ideas than to sit tight and hope the polls are wrong" would be a pretty pathetic note to watch American democracy potentially die on.

• Advertisement

The primaries already came and went, and people knew Biden has been old for years now. I don't think his debate performance really changed as much as people think: there is no close 2nd choice in the wings anywhere or anything, if you want to entertain the parachute approach. This is just noise. Neither Newsom, Obama, Bernie, Hillary, Tom Hanks, The Rock, nobody is going to parachute in for one thing, and, Harris isn't going to step in, because for starters, Biden isn't stepping down or ending his campaign - in spite of much hooplah made about entertaining doing so this weekend, he surely didn't miss it, I think he has ruled it out (that's what the reporting indicates).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,688 ✭✭✭✭briany

In a sense, you're right about the debate not changing much because Biden trailed in the polls going into it and he will almost certainly trail in the polls on the other side of it.

What are he and his team going to do in order to right that situation?

I don't have any special insight.

I know what you know, his family are the ones who encouraged him to run in 2019, they're the ones encouraging him to stay in now - and shake things up by getting rid of the advisers who advised the debate strategy. Campaigns (winning campaigns) have a long history of surviving such shakeups.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

If Biden drops out, his replacement will talk about solving the cost-of-living crisis, and the people here denying it exists will support that and argue that a Democrat can solve it better than Trump.

after todays SCOTUS ruling it seems very out of touch to suggest that inflation etc. is what this election is about now. Now this election is about electing someone who will not abuse immunity and be a “dictator on day one,” not even is it mainly about women’s healthcare rights, or Palestine - and certainly not bacon being up 6.9% YOY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,442 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It’s hardly a surprise that his family want him to continue, and it’s not really the consensus on the Dem side overall, where there are calls for him to step aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The world and his wife know that both candidates are far too old for the job and new blood is needed.

The question is who?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

For the Dems to meet their DEI goals they would need a black woman , they really should snap themselves out of their brain dead logic or they wont get a winner for 20 years , the Republicans seem to have a deeper bench

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 22 BLFOTR

Telepromter Joe looking very weak up there last night yet again. The man is oozing ineptitude at this stage very sad to witness.

Oh stop talking bollocks you, would ya.

It's a genuine question being asked, not an opportunity for you to spout more shite.

I'd like to know which person is the one to replace Biden from a realistic POV. I'm not interested in more cheap shots from Trump fans.

Ye are beyond tedious at this stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It doesn't exist but politicians talk about solving non-existent crises all the damn time.

I don't know what is so hard to understand about real wages being up and discretionary spending being up.

if you cant accept the basic truth that the dems have their hands tied you are not seeing the full field

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

There seems to be a general consensus that EVEN IF Biden decided not to run again, there’s too little time for the Democrats to win with a new candidate and the logistics of developing a brand new campaign is just a bridge too far- so while we see a number of Democrats and donors reportedly jumping up and down in frustration at Bidens unwillingness to step aside from the race, the alternative is just as depressing from a predicted outcome perspective

seams badly timed, the optics dont look good but I assume nobody reads it anyway

I'd be of the same mind that with 5 months to go there just isn't enough space for the Democrats to get another horse into the race. But if they're going to do that, they'll need to do it right now. I just don't know who'd be in the running that can realistically replace Biden. Also, I'm not so sure that there's an "unwillingness" to step aside on behalf of Biden. I don't think he's the blocker here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭Christy42

It seems fine. First lady appearing in a magazine in an election year. Marketing th first lady through a magazine largely read by women seems a good idea.

Certainly Biden has been down in the poles but this seems exactly what you want in that situation really. It also takes advantage of a big weakness in the Trump campaign which is that his wife obviously can't stand being near him and can't really counter this sort of campaigning directly to women from a woman close to the candidate.

I can't see an issue with the timing or optics.

didn’t mean to imply that Biden was the “blocker” to stepping down - certainly his wife/family are major influencers here as we know and who knows what “spooks” behind the scenes are influencing the situation too

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

https://www.factcheck.org/2024/06/competing-narratives-on-real-wages-incomes-under-biden/

It's an interesting read. Two different timeframes giving different answers, one saying real wages are up and the other saying they're down.

But these things are more complicated than that.

Young people are graduating into a far more difficult job market.

Average pay is being boosted by trades and minimum wage increases. A lot of regular Americans working regular jobs are only seeing the price increases.

The basket of goods that inflation counts isn't reflective of everyone's everyday spending.

Inflation doesn't include house prices.

The average income now needed to buy a house has increased by 80% in the last four years.

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/02/1242212997/housing-affordability-income-100000

You can argue about the statistics all you want but America feels worse off and that affects votes. The middle class is being squeezed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The timeframe that gives you that real wages are down is not reliable and can not be used due to the composition effects of the pandemic. Overwhelmingly low income people were laid off during the period and thus wages rose, it is not a real wage growth.

How is it a more difficult job market when unemployment is at record lows?

I am not arguing that Americans "feel" worse off. They are completely unused to having to deal with this level of inflation and are frankly mostly just wrong about what it means. I'm also absolutely certain that the large majority of those who "feel" worse off will suddenly "feel" better off if Trump wins even if not a single economic indicator changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭ronjo

It seems the 2 most mentioned potential candidates on Dem side are Newsome and Whitmer.

On GOP maybe Haley or Rubio?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,730 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yes he's as guilty as Bibi and you know it but don't like it. There's no hiding from the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 51,730 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Another Pro-Joe with their head in the sand ….

what’s happening as well is new towns are being targeted as wfh bases with prices then in the area rapidly rising - well paid people are decamping from the big cities to the “pretty” towns away from those cities but doing so in their 100s and 1000s putting great pressure on house prices and resources in those areas

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement