Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭hogans heroes

Camogie I.think are on before the clare game at croker on Saturday playing dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ompala

As a Tipp man, hard luck to Kk in this one. Reading some of the comments on here would make you think Kk hurling was coming to an end! The players are under 17 for this competition - 17! Playing in their own backyard could have put extra pressure on them, and potentially the 2 red cards may have put a bit more pressure on to win. These players are young, for senior teams they've been in similar positions before, have experience and are used to playing together, it's not the same underage. So a bit of perspective wouldn't go astray here, I wouldn't say anyone in a Kk jersey on the pitch didn't try their hardest last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Neewollah

I know that a couple of adult clubs in Kilkenny had challenge matches on at the same time outside of the county as the minor match. County Board should have not approved any of those games when the requests came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Off limited knowledge of the players involved.

At HT take off a defender for a player that's comfortable around the middle. After his performance against Clare I thought Raggett should have been on sooner so probably him. Push him up to leave Dollard as a true spare man (it appeared to me that Tipps No 12 was getting on way too much ball just outside our 65). Have Henderson hug one sideline and Barcoe hug the other between the 21 and 45 for every puck out. Have Dollard paired with one and Buggy paired with the other. Puck out goes to one of the pairs. Draw a man, pop it off. Have Eoin Brennan move his way towards the ball as the 3rd man to set up the triangle. Don't sprint it up - literally run it up at 3/4 pace to see how the Tipp players react. 10 and 12 sit on the sidelines to create further width. If Tipp drag over to one side the triangle you've created can be used to quickly switch the ball to the pair on the opposite side. 3 or 4 give and goes gets the ball between their 45 and 65 yard line for your shots. I would've played very very little ball to the full forward line. To counteract that I'll say that Tipp did a hell of a job getting bodies to pressure the ball any time KK actually got inside their 45.

I felt everything was happening too fast when KK had the ball especially from the half back line. When they weren't launching it long they were going too fast down the middle.

But for all the criticism of the management and I believe most of it is deserved the team had more than enough scoring chances to win the game but either took the shot too early or didn't give the pass to a player in a better position.

Easy type the above after the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Village87

I'd love to see Mark Aylward and Martin Comerford take the u20 position next year, god knows we need a shake up u20 . At least the management at minor have built a very promising bunch of players and have put us in a very strong position for 2025. Mark Dowling and co absolutely butchered a good panel and we got nothing out of them 2 years running, don't get me going about the u20 management again .

Very good post. It’s the managements job to plan for all eventualities, if we have a man sent off, if the opposition have a man sent off etc… players should be able to implement the plan for all eventuality straight away, there shouldn’t be any need for these emergency meetings if you like on the sideline and trying to communicate a complex set of instructions to the players in the heat of battle. It should happen automatically.Look …. as you say it’s easy to be wise after the event but there’s no getting away from how it looks for Niall and the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Comerman

Management's job is to manage, kids job is to do what their told. Excellent post JJ

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Box to box

The u20 was a complete shitshow for two years. After winning the all ireland to not getting out of leinster for 2 years was very disappointing. The inability to learn from the previous years lack of pace in certain areas was the final straw. If that management team is anywhere near next year's squad I give up

The minors can have no Complaints,tipp were the better team. Hard to believe we couldn't beat 13 players for most of the match. Woodlock had them revved up to the last. No matter what age these chaps are it was criminal the way we set up after the seedings off. It's not like they had no time to react. Some of the shot selections were very poor and there's a good few players who will regret being so greedy on more than one occasion. I don't accept that alot of this team is underage next year either. This is about now not next year. Two years ago we thought we would have 2 savage u20 teams but infact the management made a complete bags of it. Management got credit in previous games and unfortunately they will get heavily criticised now. They didn't drive balls wide or were greedy but we had backs marking nearly marking each other and just went route one. I remember after half times tipp started the new halves so well because they nearly took the door off the hinges on the way out. Our lads were outside waiting for a long time it seemed. I wouldn't know the minor like others here but I knew last night we were very slow to make a change or get the message across.

The question I have is why aren't the best coaches in kk managing in kk? The county board will select who ever is handy. This was a golden opportunity to win two all irelands in our own pitch and maybe im too harsh but management should of done much better. Its another year and another failure at minor.hard to belive its over 10 years since we won a minor and approaching 10 years without a senior. Can't just be selecting managers who are convenient. The doors need to be kicked down to get the best people in charge of our underage teams. This has to start now before they commit to another team.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I agree entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭jamesbond2022

The best coaches are outside the county as the county board are as main as dyke water and wouldn’t spend Christmas

There’s also more money to be made for kk coaches outside the county and they know the county board is very clicky and they don’t fit the mould of what they want someone that will give there all for there county and be honoured to be asked to coach a team and be happy with a pat on the back for there efforts

• Registered Users Posts: 9 slash0683

Not sure how this would work…. We had no issue working the ball out to our 65 had we? It was from here in that the problems happened. Tipp had 3 banks of 3 on 21, 45 and 65 and 2 more working around the middle. There was no space from 65m in, carrying the ball out at 3/4 pace assumes the full forward doesn't chase? Getting people in space between 45 and 65 for shots looks good on paper but I don't think there was any space there

From what I could see there backs totally dominated our forwards on their 1v1 match ups, except for McDermott in the first half but they mastered him in the 2nd half too. Whether it was a low ball to the corner, high ball down the middle, running it from midfield we were dispossessed or didn't win it initially. When they worked the ball back for a shot from midfield they all went wide (must have hit 8 wides from distance in the last 15 minutes?) It wasn't any of the players fault, Tipp backs were just stronger on the day.

An earlier poster outlined kks game plan all year perfectly in an earlier post and Jake and Ollie and been scoring heavily in most games but were completely tied up on Saturday. Subs that were introduced in the forwards were similar.

If I was to be critical of management it would be that kks intensity level seemed to drop after the 2nd sending off which is natural as you might consider you have the game won. Tipps raised a level for sure, I dont know did kk get back to the level they were at for the first 20 mins for the remainder of the game?

Eddie Brennan was having a go at management on twitter to push up a 7th forward, considering we were being caught on counter attack with a running game it might have had the opposite affect. I think that area was crowded enough as it was. Eddie has been in a similar situation before and might have had more sense

The Tipperary defending was outstanding though, Pat Treacy on community radio has been complementing kks hooking and blocking all year but Tipp were on another level again on Saturday.

We probably made some poor decisions when we had a few chances close to goal in the 2nd half when trying to force goals but you'll get that with young lads. The missed chances down the stretch will haunt them.

It was an enjoyable year with highs and lows. The highs being the 2 Galway games, Leinster final and the great win over Clare. Dublin the first day and the All Ireland loss were the lows. The lads progressed well though and we should get some players off this team to work through the age levels. The u16s got great experience, playing in massive games, over coming the adversity of the early campaign to come good and should have a good team there next year.

On the crowd, I think someone said they thought it was 50/50. I nearly choked on my tea. It was at least 9000/3000 if not 10000/2000 and Tipp crowd were very vocal, it was like a home match for them, very hostile atmosphere for our players and supporters. You'd swear I had sent off the players the abuse I was getting in the stand. I don't know what can be done about it, people don't want to go. Barely a round of applause when the seniors won the Leinster final either. Very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 neverbet

Don't tell me you are another waiting on a loss to prove your point? Enough of those on this forum. Listening to James Woodlock, Tipp minor manager on OTB this morning. Tough listen for a KK man. He really drove home how important the Tipp supporters outnumbering and being more vocal than us contributed to the Tipp victory. The apathy of Kilkenny support particularly when playing at home is having a seriously negative impact on our teams. If Saturday evening wasn't a wake up call to all of us, we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

Our lads intensity definitely dropped off after the second red card, our management were clearly getting the message to our players to be careful that the referee would be looking to even things up numbers wise. Our lads hardly laid a glove on an opponent after that and definitely hung back too much and reverted to trying to get a hook or block in.

Post edited by Charlie69 on

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

no, i'm not forchange in disguise :) I want to see them do well, missed maybe 2 games league/championship in the last 15 years, no plans to stop supporting them now. Hopefully the improvement is there Saturday. Unlike forchange i think there's a lot more to get out of some of the players we have, they do a great job some days of taking them out of a game with the poor distribution though, pressure or no pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Village87

Quality analysis on the minor. Tipp backs were absolutely outstanding.

Any news on John Donnellys injury?…. Is he holding off on surgery until after championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Kilkenny supporters are definitely not as vociferous as others, more quietly critical. I have never heard Kilkenny supporters chanting. Agree on the abuse from some Tipperary supporters, shocking stuff. It wasn't like any KK supporters were asking for any red cards. Tipp deserved the victory, their players were outstanding but the behaviour of some of their supporters left a very sour taste

I’ll have to take your word on the crowd, I was at the end of the gras stand and probably didn’t get a proper view of things.i did hear that there was plenty of abuse from the Tipp fans we will just have to bottle it up. But I think most fans seem to be turning that way. A crowd of young KK fans were booing the Tipp free taker which I find disgraceful,I hate it when it’s done to us but unfortunately it has creeped into our games.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sir Chaz

A very disappointing day on Saturday, hard to credit we couldn't win a game against 13 players but ironically the 2nd red card was the losing of the game for us. We were completely spooked and then looked like a team that were afraid to lose whereas Tipp were able to throw themselves into it and hurl with abandon. They were nothing short of fantastic and showed guts and resolve you rarely see in such young men. Every single one of them absolutely emptied themselves, and the most impressive thing was the way they managed to maintain their composure. Their decision making was streets ahead of Kilkenny after the sending offs.
    The 2 red cards were the big talking points, and while the 1st was really harsh, the 2nd was a clear red card and a very dangerous challenge. I thought the 1st red was maybe a bit of Karma for Tipp as it was their players overreaction to a similar Galway stroke that got a young man (also) wrongly sent off in the semi. In fairness to Bobby Brennan he made nothing of the slap and didn't fall in a heap and roll around like the Tipp chap did. Both were very unfair decisions on such young lads, your heart would break to see the expression on young Minogues face.

There's also no doubt that the ref subconsciously evened things up after the 2nd red, and the 17 frees to 5 stat clearly shows that. Kilkenny couldn't buy a free and some very, very soft ones were given against us. The very last free awarded absolutely defied belief. He also inexplicably reversed a clear wide ball that the umpire signalled, to give a 65 which Tipps goal came from. The Tipp 14 appealed (impressively!!) and the ref just bought it. It was bizarre.

We would have performed far better as a team against 15, than we did against 13. The wheels just came off.

I think management deserved great credit for their run to the final. They put their trust in young players and they delivered 4 days on the trot to reach the final, but they clearly panicked yesterday and misread the game. The boys needed much clearer direction and clearly we used the extra players really poorly, and the sense of impending doom enveloped them the same way it did the boys. I'm sure they have huge regrets as it was clearly a final we left behind us.

On the support, it was at least 60/40 to Tipp, and we should be ashamed of ourselves that that was allowed to happen. We call ourselves a hurling county but our support is pathetic and getting worse. If we couldn't make it to Kilkenny to support our future stars in an All Ireland final, then it's all a cod. Embarrassing display of support.

Finally, and this isn't sour grapes, as Tipp 100% deserved their win, but the behaviour of the Tipp management has been mentioned by a few, and whilst they have obviously done a superb job with this team, and managed the game unbelievably well, miles ahead of KK management, their collective behaviour on the line was nothing short of disgraceful. The intimidation of officials and shouting and screaming and jumping around that was going on was scandalous. Grown men who should be ashamed of themselves. That Woodlock is an absolute ape, it's amazing he's in law enforcement. Trying to get young players sent off on the biggest day of their lives is as low as you can get. The young men they coach were a credit to their County and their parents and families, but their management team should be embarrassed by their own behaviour.
    The referee and his team lost control of them after the 2nd red, and they were basically allowed to do as they liked, including repeatedly leaving Kilkenny standing on the field for minutes on end at the intervals. I don't blame them for trying that at all, it was pure gamesmanship, but the referee never once hurried them up. It was very unfair on the young Kilkenny lads.

Well done to Tipp, undoubtedly the greatest underage display I've ever witnessed.

• Advertisement

You will surely put up your hand to be the next U20 manager with all the skills and successes you had in your managerial career to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sir Chaz

We should have pushed one of the spare players into midfield and used him as an off the shoulder runner. We basically had 2 players doing the same job when we only needed one. I'd have substituted a defender for a midfielder/half forward. Instead we just did the normal, put a wing forward on for a wing forward and a corner forward replaced a corner forward.

We played the ball reasonably well around the back, but once it passed midfield the cohesion and composure just stopped, with too many players doing their own thing and repeatedly taking the wrong option. Our distance shooting was also shocking and that needed to be miles better. 22 wides tells its own story.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mooz

Re the Kilkenny support on Saturday night, I didn't think we were outnumbered but we were definitely out roared. Tipp supporters were way more vocal and both sending offs just added fuel to the fire and they were bouyed by the performance on the pitch by their incredible young hurlers, which resulted in them being more passionate and more vociferous the longer the game went on. I think the KK supporters were definitely waiting for something to happen to spur them into life, the goal in extra time was about the height of it really. But the antics of Tipps management fired up the crowd and they raised the roof more than a couple of times subsequently. Even the backroom member waving his arms and inciting the supporters after ht was something I don't think I've ever witnessed before. I do believe the KK supporters are very passive however and there is almost a 'wait and see' approach to following games. Limerick and Cork bring huge vocal support to their games. I haven't seen that with Tipperary supporters since the 2010 All-Ireland, they really urged the minors over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Box to box

Not making any excuses but as someone else said i was siting around kk lads who hardly clapped. Tipp seniors being so poor and the u20 bet they really got behind the minor team 2 weeks ago and had everyone involved with hurling urging supporters to go.They organised loads of buses and got as many as they could to the park and it definitely was a help. I think its a absolute disgrace that the county board and clubs cant work together and get as many buses to the match Saturday and any big days like last Saturday but it doesn't surprise me either. I know the young lads would be mad to go. It's a great day out.

Tipp management would of drilled it into the players that they can win here and what it would mean but we can blame what we want but the bottom line is tipp were the better team on the day and deserved the victory. The 2nd red card was a disaster for us because whatever about the first one we hadn't a bulls clue what to do and as often happens the free counts go against you. Kk got spooked and took on pot shots and kept taking the wrong option and the longer it went on the harder it got.How we didn't push up and react a bit was disappointing. No one could of predicted two chaps would be sent off and that led to panic stations across the team and management.We must all remember these are 16 year old chaps and anyone with young lads will know they have a good bit to go. It was the talk of a lot of workplaces today and it will definitely take a while to process this one but the only thing is you would be hopeful they can bottle this hurt and drive it on next year but we seen with the u20 there's absolutely no guarantees we will even get out of leinster next year.

Just a general question,are we gone afraid to win all irelands or is that harsh? If we get and lose the final it's 3 in a row and 5 the last few years. Is this contributing to the smal support l.

Looking Forward to the match Saturday and I was talking to a clare man who knows his stuff and he is confident the time has come to get this hoodoo off their back. Like kk the time is running out for clare to get over the line. Both teams will have identified weakness and if I remember correctly the league match in Ennis and the league final they made hay running at us through the center. Richie had two bad days so he will be hoping to rectify that. Clare have options and Rodgers could probably run at our defence and draw frees.I would be very nervous of Tommy Corner back on reidy. We will need huge workrate from everyone and lads doing a lot of the dirty work. Rumours are butler will pick up sod who is in unbelievable form. Kk need to be very disciplined because clare have a habit of invisible snipers taking them out from the stand.Even sod raises his two arms once he gets possession so he has the free at the very least. We have a few lads guilty of doing it aswel before I get attacked. Cian Kenny isn't getting the eoin larkin free as much anymore and blanchfield isn't too bad at manufacturing a free. The one where players put their arms up in the air and immediately get advantage is a bug bearer of mine. Cleary will have to stop his dragging because the umpires will be well warned before the match. Everyone had copped onto hogan ducking Into every tackle buying frees.

Kk will want to get at conlon he has being under a good bit of pressure. He will want to sit in the pocket like Richie Reid but we will have to push up on him because that's what clare are going to do with reid. They will see how limerick put lynch on reid and made him mark.Can we bring something a bit different to the table this wknd? Cody should be dragging hogan around the place and make it as uncomfortable as he can. Mullen or donnelly could do well off conlon because they are very good strikers. We need to bring something a little new to the table this year because clare will push up and run run run at us. We will want to get a few shots off on quilligan but not like what wexford were trying to do hitting it from far out.

Post edited by Box to box on

just thinking we could have should have two home all Irelands won against Tipp in U20 and minor between bad management teams and the county board we really fucked it up. I said it last week even if we lost to Tipp in the minor it would still have been progress made, but the manner of the defeat will take a long time to get over. Just to throw it out there i certainly think Michael Fennelly should a say in picking the underage managers and one selector picked from the development squads and the manager would then pick the rest.

I wonder is Brookville on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

The word loyalty is gone out the door where you are from some people here its about the best pay master not where you are from or the people before you who coached got superstars out of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Will John Donnelly start? If he does, what effect will his injury have?

Will Michael Carey start? Will Kilkenny try to manmark Kelly? Or O'Donnell? With Mikey Butler? Will Clare try to manmark any KK player? Any chance Owen Wall will come on as a sub? I had hoped he would get a run against Dublin

• Advertisement

Adrian Mullen rumoured to be doubtful with a muscle injury but expected to start… not ideal , has become a very important player and leader on this team.

Advertisement