Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭DataDude

I really don’t get this view. The most common argument you see on house prices is that a guard and a nurse can’t afford to buy a house and raise a family in most parts of Dublin.

There are 2 possible responses to this issue

• Do nothing. Hope Dublin defies the reality that exists in almost every single major city in the world and just somehow has affordable houses in the city (I.e. live in fantasy land)
    • Build state subsidised accommodation in the city, sell it slightly below market price and offer other subsidies to cater to those too rich for social, but not rich enough to buy in Dublin.

The idea that housing should be two tier - private or social is always going to miss out a cohort of hardworking people who need to live in Dublin by virtue of their jobs but can’t afford to because they get squeezed out by higher earners yet will never qualify for a free house.

I’m generally an advocate for government staying out of things, but if there was one place I’d be happy to see more money spent it would be this cohort. Hopefully this scheme is replicated across Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Is Dublin a "major city"? In global terms? Or a fart in the wind in terms of population?

The population of the entire county (not just the city) is about the same as the population of London was 200 years ago.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭hometruths

I don't think do nothing is the answer.

On the face of it building state subsidised housing on state land so there is a supply of affordable house for lower income workers is a good idea.

I am slightly skeptical that 3 bed houses ranging from 400 to 475k is a good result in the context of a supply of affordable houses on state land.

And I am certain that subsidising these houses to the tune of 30% shared equity to make the figures work is a disaster.

Genuinely I’m interested in what your basis for deciding whether those prices are reasonable or not? They’re cheaper than current market prices so that box is ticked. You then need to decide if market prices are unreasonable.

If I was asked to do up a report to answer that question for the state I would immediately look at other cities around the world with economies and income profiles like Dublin and see the equivalent pricing. By any analysis you’ll find €400-€475k for a 3bed in that context is at the extreme low end of a peer analysis.

Not acknowledging that global context and just wanting Ireland to be the exception is the emotional thinking that plagues housing debate in this country.

If I was Minister and I said "DataDude, I've got a big site of state owned land, and big bucket of money to throw at the problem, and I want to provide affordable housing in Dublin for lower income workers, bring me some ideas"

And you came back with "Well we just look at what the prices are in other cities and set the price accordingly, don't worry if the lower income workers can't afford it, we can use that big bucket of money to sort that problem" I'd throw you ot on your ear.

We can have one thing or the other.

Look at other cities and just say well hell everythings expensive everywhere, in that case I'd be happier to let the market decide totally and remove any interference, let lower income workers find their feet and they they have to live further out because Coolock has become gentrified by market forces then so be it.

Or throw billions of good money after bad trying to make houses more affordable for lower income workers, but be realistic about what is affordable for them, and try and channel that money so it represents better value for both for the tax payer and the lower income workers.

Instead we seem hell bent on propping up our market with billions of taxpayers money and thinking it's prefectly normal, because sure haven't you seen the prices in London lately.

• Advertisement

I think the approach taken is the second one you’ve outlined.

Is it cheaper than market prices yes. Is it cheaper than global equivalents, yes (a lot). The question then just becomes how subsidised should they be. Naturally with finite resources you need to choose whether to subsidise fewer houses a lot, or lots of houses a little. Given by most reasonable assessments, Ireland has a bigger issue with housing shortages than housing prices, the latter seems sensible to me.

I think the Coolock scheme represents roughly a 20% market rate discount. That level of discount can be debated of course but personally I’d be uncomfortable discounting too much more for two reasons:

1. Tax payer value for money. At a certain point the state is just lottoing off hundreds of thousands to a few lucky winners. The discount needs to be sensible to avoid being ‘unfair’. If the state discount starts becoming many years of an average net income, the majority of people who don’t get one are going to feel pretty aggrieved.
    2. You get these weird cut offs where someone just over the limit of affordability is incentivised to lower their income for the chance at a mega sale. Arguably we already have some of these income traps throughout society. Wouldn’t like to create another major one.

I think to really compare to other cities you'd need to compare a similar state backed scheme - built on state land with final build/purchase cost subsidised to the same degree.

I realise it would be very difficult to find a comparable example, but I am sceptical that this coolock scheme would compare favorably.

leaving aside the state land and subsidies, do you have a specific location in a comparable city in mind that you think is a fair comparison to Coolock in Dublin?

Ad do you mean it is 20% discount to market after subsidies rather than asking price is 20% discount?

Just for clarity, I agree state could easily sell these houses for much much cheaper than they are. But for the reasons outlined above I don’t think it would be a good idea to have them priced too far from their market value. 20% lower than market seems reasonable to me.

Not in particular, I just know that property prices in Dublin are among the cheapest in any sort of reasonable peer group analysis. So a 20% discount on those prices is naturally going to compare very favourably.

Not in particular, I just know that property prices in Dublin are among the cheapest in any sort of reasonable peer group analysis

I'm a bit sceptical about this as well! I certainly am yet to see any reasonable analysis on Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The thing about teachers and several other professions within the PS is getting up the payscales. In thenext 5 years her pay will jump 10k in today's terms not allowing for pay increases

People make choices, the government give individuals options. The reality is housing in Dublin will be expensive not just because of demand but because of the shortage of professional, skilled and unskilled building labour in Dublin. Add to this demand and the present building regulations and we are where we are.

So a single person with an income of 50k who qualified for maximum HTB and has 30k in savings could buy a one bed. A young couple on a joint income of 80k with with HTB and 5k in savings could buy a two bed or a person in there mid 30's with an income of 65k, HTB and savings of 60k could buy a two bed.

A 260k mortgage over 35 years is slightly less than 1100/ month.

If you are buying by yourself it's unlikely you will have the options that couple both earning thise sort of incomes will have.

A top 7% earner ( actually anyone earning 60-70k+ should have savings, I would expect a person earning 100k to have savings of that amount within 5 years of earning thise numbers. This all effects there buying ability.

With 4X income, HTB, savings they should be able to buy a two bed apartment ( adequate for a single person) within a reasonable distance of the city center.

It Might be a fart in the wind as you put it. However its a capital city of a wealthy European country.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

The 20% discount is on the headline rate before any subsidies. Conveniently for this scheme the 20% discount makes it eligible for HTB (another €30k discount) and FHS.

Even taking the most expensive example of €475k in this estate (most will be much much cheaper than this for lower income workers). Assume HTB, FHS and a 10% deposit for the applicant, the buyers will have a monthly mortgage payment of around €1,200…for an A rated 3 bed house in Dublin City…and the rhetoric is that these are not affordable…

Anybody who secures a house in this place whether it be for €260 or €475 will be pinching themselves every morning whilst everyone else is complaining on their behalf that they were too expensive!

Kind of hard to compare as there are no other new builds advertised in Coolock.

But things have definitely got more unaffordable than I thought if market price for 3 bed is 600k in Coolock.

It's thus on paper the deal of a lifetime, load up on subsidies, buy the three bed at 475, wait a few years for any clawback period to expire, and sell for over 600k.

Even after you've settled the outstanding shared equity you'd be quids in.

What could possibly go wrong?!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Montys return

To clarify a few points

• Minimum state equity is 5%, therefore market value of 3 beds is 500,000 and 2 beds 450,000.

• These are not eligible for the FHS, its affordable housing. Very similar scheme, except there is no service fee but the states equity must be redeemed after 40 years or in a few scenarios like selling or renting the house (rent a room excepted)

• You must borrow your full mortgage allowance, typically 4 times income or less if you can prove banks won't lend you the full amount.

• If eligible, HTB can be used as your deposit. But any saving in excess of that +30k or (or just 30k if not HTB eligible) will be added to deemed purchasing power and mean that it will increase the amount you pay and reduce the councils equity (actually think this is one of the better parts of the scheme).

What I'm curious about is that there are apartments from the same developers on sale in Donabate at full value for 340k. In Coolock, 500k for a 3 bed house.

So if apartments are actually cheaper to build, why do we not see more affordable options being delivered for sale without the need for state intervention beyond the provision of land within the City's environ?

If it is only a 5% discount that is not much in the way of affordability. Seems quite significant whether or not the list price is 5% or 20% discount to market price.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Just to clarify that these affordable housing schemes are not eligible for FHS as in order to get the reduction on market vale to the 20% DCC state "Purchasers will enter an Affordable Dwelling Purchase Arrangement (ADPA) with Dublin City Council whereby the Council will take an equity share in the dwelling equal to the difference between the market value of the dwelling and the price paid by the purchaser expressed as a percentage of the market value of the property. The Council's equity share in the property may subsequently be redeemed by making payments to the Council."

So technically the new owners to get the 3 bed at 475k will own 80% of their home with DCC owning the other 20% equity which will need to be repaid at any point of sale or incrementally to increase your stake in your home.

With HTB, a couple on 106k could reduce it to 445k for the upper level 3 bed which with a 10% deposit would equate to roughly a €1700 mortgage over 35 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think there is a state subsidy for apartment building at present. It was put in place last year after finance dried up for apartment building from pension funds.

Just to put the price of these houses in context. At present in Limerick it woukd have been( considered the 4 dearest city in Ireland for housing) new developments in Patrickwell ( it not Adare) and Coonagh are both at around 500k.

The ERSI think we will only need about 35k units per year to 2050 a substantial difference compared to the predictions of 50-80k by some analysts.

On someone buying and selling at a profit after the retention period yes it may happen but it will be limited numbers. Seldom do houses remake there first day value in the short term due to mortgages rate differences, HTB subsidies, professional costs related to purchasing etc.

As well these housing estate could be considered only a step above social housing. Many will have shared equity attached to them where the buyers have only a joint income of sub 100k

Remember

"Never let the perfect get in the way of the good"

Slava Ukrainii

On someone buying and selling at a profit after the retention period yes it may happen but it will be limited numbers. Seldom do houses remake there first day value in the short term due to mortgages rate differences, HTB subsidies, professional costs related to purchasing etc.

I was being a bit facetious, apologies. I think it would be very limited numbers indeed for anybody profiting selling after retention period. Quite the opposite.

If these figures are based on market value of these houses being 600k, which I am bit confused TBH on the 20% discount idea, I think it is very unlikely anybody will be selling these at a profit anytime soon.

As you point out as soon as they are second hand houses, they don't qualify for subsidies, so if your circumstances change in the short term and you have to sell, you're up against it in trying to recoup the market priced that was claimed at time of first sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Montys return

As far as I can tell, and they haven't published the market values yet like Fingal Coco did, but the upper limit of 475,000 reflects the minimum discount to maket value which is 5%.

Dublin city council would have to offer to take a minimum of 15% as equity for the applicants with the lowest income that are eligible, so the 18-22% they referred to as their discount offering is for the minimum price set for each house type.

Your logic at the end is still fine just with the exception that DCC only have 5% equity of the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭Villa05

I thought this type of thinking would have disappeared after Covid and we would have respect for those people that make sure food and other goods are on the shelves, prepared food for those that need it, those that care for our children and elderly parents and even barmen and women who help collect significant amount of taxes which are increasingly used to drive up the wealth of asset owners and ensure those workers can't afford housing in any of its forms.

I guess we must revert to paying homage to those working in Legal, Finance, Real Estate, and insurance professions

• Advertisement

Its a pity that the ceiling for apartments in Limerick was not increased from 450k so the the council could avail of it for the 630k they are paying for social and affordable apartments in the new development on the Ennis Road.

The reason the ceiling for apartments is not increasing is there is absolutely 0 demand for apartments priced at 450k or anywhere near that price in Limerick from people that are paying the majority of the price from there own pocket. Proof if ever it was needed that these schemes have moved on from propping up the property market to taking it to ever more unsustainable levels

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Who would really pay 500 k for a house knowing you could end up next to someone on affordable housing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Gary_dunne

I think you are thinking about social housing, no affordable and even if you are your point is a pretty nasty punching down viewpoint.

As we have been discussing affordable housing now constitutes couples that are on a combined salary of €106k. At what salary level do your neighbours need to be on to be acceptable to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Twas a sarcastic joke

Summer 2024 - inflation largely under control, energy prices falling, interest rates have peaked, record employment levels, wages increasing quickly (now surpassing price growth since COVID), tech stock indexes breaking new record highs, corporation tax take surging to new highs, FF/FG likely remaining another 5 years

Only yesterday we were informed of another costly unnecessary government scheme will result in an increase in our refuse bill. The 80% previously compliant have to pay for the 20% that were not

Energy provision a severe constraint on future growth

Employment in the tech sector is at 2016 levels in the US

Tech indexes are being propped up by a reducing magnificent "5" with insider selling rife in these companies

Inflation easing and wages rising is not a sustainable condition

EU under significant threats if breakup externally and internally with a Donald Trump presidency most likely to add to that pressure later.

The reasons you propose as benefits are exactly why the Scheme is terrible

Escape the rent trap: state land should be used to ease the pressure on rentals not a gift of up to 50% of the value to 1 family. It then acts as bridge to ownership and the next family gets an opportunity

Yeah I think that’s a fair comment and wouldn’t economically disagree. The overall scheme is 40% cost rental, 40% social, 20% ‘affordable housing’. I guess the 20% affordable housing is designed to have a more diverse estate and give some sense of long term ‘equity’ for some people in the estate. Theres also the social element of people feeling more like they ‘belong’ when they own vs cost rental. 20% seems an ok balance of that vs long term state assets to me.

Either way, I’m happy to see that cohort of households in the €40-€100k bracket get a good break for a change.

The bulk is likely to be social housing, as 40% was earmarked for social, 20% for cost rental and 20% for affordable purchase to low income.

It agreed that the developer Glenveagh Properties would build 853 homes, 40% for social housing, 40% for cost rental and 20% for low and middle-income workers qualifying for the affordable purchase scheme.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2024/0626/1456761-oscar-traynor-woods/

This is an odd headline in today's Indo leading with the story of the ESRI's latest forecasts:

You'd normally get no argument from me with those warning about the dangers of oversupply, but the ESRI's research goes to great lengths to stress these projections are only for future need based on population growth and demographic changes - they do not account for any surplus or deficit right now in the current housing stock.

So it's a bit disingenuous, but eye catching, all the more so as it is very unusual for any media in Ireland to even consider the possibility of building too many houses, never mind plaster a headline on the front page.

I wonder is the Indo becoming contrarian. I won't hold my breath!

https://www.independent.ie/business/housing-demand-may-be-significantly-below-simon-harriss-50000-a-year-target-esri-report-says/a860917181.html

• Advertisement

Quite amusing, I was only saying to someone today how both RTE and Irish times had gone other end of the spectrum. Picked the most extreme requirement of the 12 scenarios set out by ESRI (which was 53k) and used that as their headline. Good to see independent flipping it on its head.

I get that ‘average ESRI projection is largely consistent with government housing targets’ may generate less clicks but it’s a shame to see our national media purposely massaging the facts to generate attention. They’ll well know the majority won’t read the detail

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0702/1457635-esri-housing-report/

Advertisement