Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

The current WTR is being managed well as they can cut some of the multiple flights per day to the likes of LHR. I don't know what generally the load factor is for the likes of LHR, but flying it occasionally i would say it is in the region of 90, 95%, so EI MGMT can manage these by cutting 10/15% of the daily flights they run more than one flight per day.

Anyway, conjecture, let's see how it plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kiss my Axe

Can someone explain this decision the labour court came to last night like I’m a 6 year old. Is it good bad or an indifferent sign for the customers who are flying in July or is there multiple conclusion's to take from it based on a person point of view. Thanks

You'll have a better idea tomorrow, but my feeling is that neither side ar any closer to settling this. I expect more dramtic actions over the coming 2 weeks and then who knows after that.

But don't take anything i said above as any kind of first hand knowledge,. Just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Any idea what the 'threats' to the pilots were annotated in these letters Mr T.?

Was there an increase in the number of pilots not working their days off in the lead up to this dispute?

If the electronic vote was valid why did the pilots agree to a "paper" vote?

Seems to me that leaving out the bellicose language that those exchanges would be part and parcel of

industrial dispute back and forward.

Hopefully this can be sorted soon for everybody's sake.

I would suggest that if the pilots adopted that tactic, that we would be into lockout situation.

Shut the company down till a deal was done or the company fold up tent.

• Advertisement

Who knows B. I suggested the Pilots haven't had the impact they thought they would with WTR. There didn't seem to be a huge hullabaloo even with the 8 hour strike.

What are their tactics going to be next? who knows

Well I'll put it to you this way Dubya, I cannot see numerous one day strikes being tolerated by EI.

The one 8hour strike was well 'posted'n advance.. running one day strikes ,I feel, would be a different animal.

Anyway, maybe both sides will come to their senses soon.

Let's hope, for all parties concerned and the travelling public, moreso the families taking their one and only jaunt a year

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

From what I've seen to date, it looks like IALPA is the side that has not been negotiating in good faith. There's no negotiation from them, it's a demand of 'pay us the 24% or nothing'. That's why they haven't wanted to use any industrial relations tools again until recently as they have no intention of budging on that. They can't be seen publically to not engage again given this is dragging on, so they are back in labour court. Tighe has said many times they won't budge on their demand.

EI mgmt. have said all along that they would negotiate but there has to be a compromise. I think the best negotiations happen when both sides are willing to give something to get something. It seems to me that the quickest path to a resolution (given no budge on pay demand from IALPA) would be a negotiation around the productivity improvements EI mgmt are looking for, as I'm sure there's room for changes there.

pardon my ignorance on this now but am I right to assume if the labour court recommend the pilots to get a 21% increase tomorrow like they want, EI could still reject it and we’ll be back to square one or do management have to go with the ruling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

WTR is having the impact that was expected. It was never intended to cripple the airline, it was intended to show the airline how much goodwill is being relied on! People are getting from a to b and the airline is coping ok but it’s costing them a fortune and is not sustainable long term!

I think the airline are at a stage that they’ll happily allow this dispute to cost more in strikes and hire ins to ensure they don’t come out the “losers”! If it’s true that there is only 5m a year separating them, and a strike would cost 15m a day (so I’m told) then two days strikes would cost the airline more than just paying up over a 3 to 5 year deal! It might have cost them more already. It’s become a matter of bravado dare I say

Indeed it does, a case of oneupmanship.

There will be a compromise, there always is. But there will be a serious lack of trust and goodwill between both sides for a long time to come

so if it’s recommended somewhere in the middle between the 12.5% & 21% that was offered and that what is now being asked for and one side rejects it the public opinion will sway heavily against the party that rejects it.

Public opinion counts for SFA in the grand scheme of things

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mobius2021

I hope both sides cool down and work things out. If it keeps going on and escalating there is always a slight, outside chance that both the Aer Lingus management and the pilots lose - IAG lose patience with both and threaten to wind down Aer Lingus. After all Aer Lingus is only one of their subsidiaries. I obviously hope that doesn't happen but it might focus all their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Sorry, you've got that completely wrong.

Ialpa, in direct discussions last week, indicated to Aer lingus that they would be willing to settle for a lower percentage. They restated this yesterday in the labour court.

Aer lingus, on both occasions, stated they were not willing to move from their position unless work practice changes were on the table. In fact, yesterday, Aer Lingus introduced new demands that neither the union nor the labour court had heard before.

So the union has shown willingness to move from it's position, Aer lingus has not and has in fact dug deeper into it's position.

Yep pretty much, goodwill and trust is gone and no matter what happens from here, it’s not coming back, not with the current management anyway.

Wouldn't say you are 100% right in that pronouncement, Dubya.

Well as I said, it's from what I've seen to date. Maybe you have some insider info on what's happening in direct discussions and what was discussed yesterday in the Labour court.

Everything I've seen stated by both sides has for the most part reflected my take on it. As of yesterday, Tighe was quoted as saying "Ultimately if the company doesn’t cede to what is a reasonable cumulative claim from pilots, we will continue fighting".

• Advertisement

Maybe/Maybe not. Will all this stop me from flying EI again? or even giving it a second thought? Not a hope. In fact, i'm hoping after all this settles down there is a massive sale and i'll get stuck in.

I won't be the only one.

So the corollary is it would come back with a compliant management who just agree to all requests?

Management of whatever make up have a job to do just like the pilots, I feel its a bit disingenuous to be pumping out general statements like that.

When this is all over it will be back to normal pretty quickly I would suggest.

When this is all over it will be back to normal pretty quickly I would suggest.

Not a hope B. This is more deeply engrained and been going on the last few years, not last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Lets not forget (and assuming it's the same as mine and other union represented professions) that strike days are unpaid. Start counting up strike days in quick succession and pay packets get hit hard, esp staff who may have large outgoings.

Nah, whatever goodwill was there before is gone now…. This isn’t something new either unfortunately, it’s been going on a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭plodder

Have to disagree. It's the pilot's stance of no negotiation on work practices that comes as across as intransigence. Work practices could mean anything. As little change as possible for the pilots, and total (but unachievable) flexibility for management. I cringed every time I heard them say - it's making the pilots fund their own pay rise. How are they going to be able to back down from that hardline stance? Hopefully the LC make it easy for them and they get down to do what they should be doing - ie. negotiating all the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭trellheim

Much as I normally take the employers side here, the pilots have a point in my view - they had to take massive hits during COVID which the airline swallowed afterwards and never gave back.

It funny as I'm the opposite. I'd normally side with the workers but in this instance, I find it hard to side with private-sector workers who are demanding a pay increase pegged to inflation and also because the company made more profits - all the while having the ability to cause massive disruption to everyone else.

I do think the pilots deserve a pay increase and should have gotten one every year but, given the high salaries most are on, demanding it's pegged to inflation is a bit too far for me - what about as inflation falls, will they give some of the percentage back?

Also, if I want to benefit from a company making more profits - I'll buy shares in that company. Do EI staff get any opportunity to buy shares at a discount as part of a sharesave scheme? If not, that could be one way to offer employees an opportunity to share in the times when the company is performing well. Also, I know some private companies will provide larger bonuses or pay increases in a year that the company performed well and that it's usually tied to performance reviews.

Overall I think everyone wants the people flying their plane to be content and well paid, I just think IALPA's approach to this and how they articulated things have not helped from a public sympathy perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭bikeman1

While I'm sure many of the pilots have large outgoings, these strike days will count for very little. So far it has been 8 hours. Even then, EI just shifted the TA departures out to that afternoon, so the duty time and flight time still happened for all those crews that day, just later in the day. When this is all resolved, there will be a large back pay catch up for the deal. These folks pay tax at the top end of 52%. So the net effect is just 48% into the pocket. Based on the pay claim, this is a very worthwhile exercise for them.

These are also the pilots that worked on 50% pay all through Covid and then still reduced pay long after restrictions eased. This is one workforce that can take a hit to pay. They will have worked it back in overtime by year end if they want.

Advertisement