Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

can someone confirm this? I’m not remembering anything much about those horrible years but was the summer of 2020 that good? Spring yes. Summer I don’t remember. What about 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dan575283578

Thanks for this - i feel like im going insane when i hear people talking about the lovely lockdown summer 2020 - it was the SPRING that was nice, definitely not the summer….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭compsys

Yes - it was during a period of very settled and sunny weather if I remember. So while the daytime temps were not too far below average, even a fraction above, the clear skies meant that temperatures tumbled after dark. Especially at Dublin Airport. Not so much at the other Dublin stations. But this was when DA recorded very low temps at night - as I've mentioned before ever since the new runway opened the nighttime temps have been much warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'm sure I'm not making it up. North Wicklow here. Definitely remember lots of sunny days, and the ground yellow or maybe I'm thinking 2019. But I do remember a couple of good summers recently, but not last summer, were it has been raining since end of June and the weather has been crap since.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah that's how I remember it. It was dry and bright from Feb to May and everyone was out walking and cycling and avoiding! In fairness it was a lovely few months and helped take the edge off the Covid chaos.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

There was definitely a serious hot spell in July/August 2021. There were issues with heat stroke among people queueing for vaccines at Citywest.

I personally also had surgery in the Hermitage in August 2021 snd was too high risk for public transport (I don't drive) and I walked there and back several times in serious heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭mcburns07

The constant breeze is really starting to grate

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭quodec

We had a couple of really hot weeks in July 2021.here in the NE. It was the first - and only time - I was able to mulch my lawn grass. Heaven!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Don’t know how any businesses involved in the tourism trade are making any money between last years miserable summer and this one shaping up to be as bad. We had two very pleasant COVID summers in 2020 and 2021. Spent a week down in west Cork in 2021 and it was glorious. Would love to do it again but holidaying here is too much of a gamble with the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I remember this too, an amazing warm Spring. I had lunch out in the garden almost every day from March onwards in a tshirt. From what I remember June 1st was the last very warm day and by June 2nd the summer broke and never recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It was a wonderful time to be alive. I did not care for all the Covid chaos until the following winter when it did get tedious and we didn't have the fantastic weather that time. I was firmly enjoying the weather for every moment it brought knowing we'd pay the price at some point. Spring 2020 was both sunnier and drier than any other season I've seen in my lifetime to date since 2000. I have never done as many walks as I did then. If December 2010 didn't exist, May 2020 would be my favourite month and would probably go unbeaten. The frequency of blue skies, thanks to a combination of low humidity easterly winds, high pressure (although average pressure wasn't actually that anomalous to the norm) and a reduction in commercial flights which is related to the low humidity before anyone gets any ideas, was outstanding.

Granted, as you've noted before, I try and make the most of whatever does happen regardless. No use harping on all the time. I did this all July 2019 getting disappointed over the Met forecast consistently saying how skies will brighten up but reality was hazy. Some posters will remember my incessant moaning that summer on here. It was still mostly dry, warm and calm which I would kill for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah I used to be somewhat embarrassed to say I thoroughly enjoyed those few months even though the world was going crazy. I had older teenage children but it was like having small children again because we were outdoors so much having family fun. We even broke the 5km limit once (for 'once' read many times in the Connemara mountains🙂).

I really admire your photography, weather expertise and especially your general joie de vivre. Don't ever lose it.

And Irish people should never be afraid to moan about the weather. It's our fundamental right!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

You are correct with that memory. 2nd June started off sunny and very warm, in fact it was the warmest day of the year here on the east coast with the easterly breeze gone. But by the afternoon, high cloud approached from the northwest as a change on the weather front started to occur. It didn't immediately go into deluge territory, that took a little bit but it turned much cooler. In fact, on the 1st June, it reached above 27C in Mayo. By the 6th, places were struggling in the 11-13C range in a northerly flow. Days as cool as that actually happen most Junes for at least a day or two but the contrast was stark nonetheless coming from that noteworthy warm spell in late May/early June.

Then (hysterically) Irish Water issued a 6-week hosepipe ban on 9th June. June 2020 wasn't a complete disaster, we had a few fine moments but the final few days following a thunderstorm on the 25th/26th (which some compared to July 1985 preluding it and let's be honest those comparisons were doomed to fail) really set the scene leading into the write off summer until mid-September when we finally broke into some fine weather. Yes the second week of August had some good weather for the south of the country and parts of the west but was very disappointing here with low cloud due to the high humid nature of the airmass that sparked severe thunderstorm activity across the Irish Sea. And we had two named storms then… in August 🤨 both Ellen (a windstorm) and Francis (a rainstorm) to add insult to injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Summer 2020 was terrible everywhere, for Dublin it was the worst since 2008, other parts of the country had some fine weather in August as Sryan mentioned, so that was something at least.

Summer 2021 was weird as I alluded to. June was decent if overrated, July was dire for two thirds of the month and exceptional for the other third. August 2021 was mostly dire but towards the end, it had the best August week in over a decade, which was very out of place considering how the rest of the month was.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Lovely sunset in Dublin just a few minutes ago.

An ok sunset alright in Dublin. Just ok, yeah totally 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

so after all that it turns out that the lockdown summers weren’t very good weather wise! I didn’t remember much about them but I certainly don’t remember the glorious weather some alluded to.

People just confuse summer with spring 2020 for some reason. I see it all the time. They are worlds apart from each other. Summer 2021 had its share of good weather and was definitely ok to decent by Ireland standards but that's about it, wasn't too amazing overall.

By the way I haven't forgotten about your request from weeks back about whether which of the May/June/August Bank Holidays is more reliable weather wise. It's in the works but you will probably be able to guess anecdotally…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Was in Dublin earlier was Nice and mild but back in carrick and its so cold 🥶 although here's hoping mid July onwards will be warmer there are faint signs of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I vividly remember summer 2020 because I worked from home from March to May when the weather was great, but we were so busy that I didn't really get to enjoy a lot of it; then I got laid off at the end of May and no sooner had I begun to tackle an outdoor project I was going to fill my time with then the weather broke and never recovered!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Ireland '20 times more likely' to reach 33C - research - RTÉ headline this morning. When Ireland is experiencing a cold and dull summer. Who decided this was a good headline idea today. Of course climate change is a problem but it’s not affecting Ireland like elsewhere except for more rain maybe? When was the last actual heatwave in Ireland as defined by Met Eireann? 2022?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Can anyone confirm that that blue green blob in the middle of Ireland on the met eireann rainfall radar is in fact rain? It's been sitting over me here for a half hour but there's been nothing...and it wasnt showing on any other apps this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭fits

this morning I am glad we have a holiday booked abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

It's Grey. Jesus, i'd nearly prefer a great big black cloud at this stage

Enjoy your holiday fits when it comes around

• Registered Users Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭pad199207

Another dull start

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭alentejo

So cold on the bike this morning. Many a winters mornings would be warmer than my commute this morning. The wind would cut you in half!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Funnily enough my parents are not far from your username as we speak. Glorious blue skies and low 30's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Robwindstorm

God lads, I'm sitting on an knife edge as regards my wedding on the 8th of July. Was hoping for an outdoor ceremony as we have a big country house taken with walled gardens etc. There's certainly no settled sunny weather forecast so all as I am hoping for is ridge to build for the day. Mt was giving a washout for Monday 8th yesterday but latest guidance has this on Sunday. I have everything crossed at this stage.

Advertisement