Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is everybody broke?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I think if you're in the area of retail that sells essential things, the 'bread & milk' sector then things will stay much the same. Everyone needs food and prefer to buy local services like getting hair cut etc.

It's the hard and white goods, electronics market that is being hit with online competition. People will go to the local co-op to buy a spade as it's handy but will buy the new lawnmower online etc as it's cheaper.

We produce goods that traditionally we sold through shops. Now it's 50/50 wholesale sales v online sales. Furthermore the number of outlets who will stock our goods is shrinking by the year. Many want to carry fewer lines and just stick to the 'bread & milk'. This has not been helped in the western counties the last 2 years with less footfall both in domestic and international tourism. Irish people loved the staycation for a year or so but are now flocking abroad again (if they can fly) and international traffic is down in the sort of people who'd be buying our stuff. If you play golf and stay in a 5 star, it's grand. If you're on more of a budget and looking for lower priced accommodation, not so much. The state has hoovered it up.

So this all adds up to less demand, fewer sales and turnover and closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I feel since the lockdown the economy seems very fickle, like it's being artificially propped-up. In San Francisco, large full retail/office blocks that sold for over $67 million before covid can barely achieve $7 million today.

There's full employment here and people are earning decent wages apparently, yet . . no one I know is flush with cash. I'm self employed and continually chasing me tail. Everything is so bloody expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭muzakfan

New one but happened twice so far this week: Standard recruiter "reaching out" message about some open position they are trying to fill. Both instances this week have outright offered a "pay rise".

A) I have never spoken to these people, they have no idea of what salary I am currently earning.

B) These are external recruiters not connected to a business but are seemingly confident they can extend whatever offer they need to constitute a rise.

Have heard of similar desperation across other industries too. I would say there's an awful lot of "heat" in the market yet. Scarcity of skilled workers just like housing will prevent a recession as such, but a lot of peripheral industries will definitely take a "haircut".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

propping up economies is how our economies work, subsidisation is very common, commercial real estate is in serious trouble across many parts of the world, including here in ireland, valuations are being revised, all of which could seriously impact investment sectors including pension funds, dont be surprised if the odd fund goes bust soon, and possibly requires more state subsidisation in the form of bail outs……

…the metrics we use to relate the health of our economies rarely reflect the world of the average, with many sectors currently experiencing record profits, record share prices etc etc, but with only small percentages truly experiencing these benefits, its very likely labour strikes will continue to rise, in order to try create some sort of balance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭flatty

It wasn't, but it is becoming increasingly so. The trouble with Ireland is that whenever there's a boom, it all winds up in the property market.

Then when there's a downturn, folk start saying "well they shouldn't have loaned me the money" or somesuch.

FWIW, the owner of one of the very popular cafe restaurants in salthill told me a month ago that he thought people were starting to feel the pinch.

Wages are very high here compared to elsewhere in the world, but so is the cost of living, and personal tax rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭drury..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Any source for that because google isnt throwing anything up for me about them shutting down and all appears to be fine with their website etc.

Would also like to know tbh. Google throws up nothing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,140 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The younger set love Shein, in spite of them being terrible for the environment.

If sizes don't work out, they haven't spent a heap, and the reject goes in the bin or charity shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭drury..

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,487 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Its fairly crazy. I'm single with two kids. I would be on what would be considered a very decent wage (but not so much after tax!). I earn enough not to have any SW help, but don't earn enough that I can get a mortgage of any reasonable home. My rent is 2.5k a month, which is higher than what a mortgage would be.

Ive managed to keep my bills down but shopping around every year. For me, my cost of living outside of rent is me being too hungry to cook and just getting a take 1-2 times a week. It's stupid. One less take away = a few days worth of cooking cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Yeah, I don't think it takes an economic genius to see the potential for a very hard landing when the economy turns. Prices have gone up fairly steeply compared to wages, particularly in terms of housing.

For whatever reason we very much have a boom/bust economy, it has been the same for 30 years.

2.5k a month is insane but all too common.

I have many issues with social housing and the way it's currently delivered and allocated but we really need to look east at Vienna and be implementing something very similar.

Massive investment required but the state essentially becomes a huge permanent rental agent and it provides a regular stream of income.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Kurooi

No, of course not. Corporate profits have never been higher!

im not actually convinced they ll be another 08 type situation any time soon, i could of course be completely wrong but i think we ll just keep motoring on, with slight ups and downs, but what we probably will continue to see is rapidly rising social and political unrest, as more and more continue to feel all of these strains in order to meet essential and critical needs such as housing etc, its very clear now, the metrics we use to measure our economical well being, have very little meaning to the average person, theyve largely decoupled now, whereby these metrics only truly communicate the well being of wealthy minorities, and everyone else feels like theyre living in an alternate reality…..

…messy messy….

• Registered Users Posts: 24,703 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

No. one in ten households have on average €3053 of disposable income per week. There are plenty out there doing absolutely fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I wouldn't say I am broke. I am, however, trying to save to buy a place of my own in one of Europe's most expensive cities. I do not drink, I do not own a car, I never eat out, I have a handset that I own with a cheap SIM-only contract, I do not buy tech stuff unless I really need it and I try to live as cheaply as possible while enjoying the odd holiday to Eastern Europe and the local cinema.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,871 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's still something you have earned not an extreme privilege.

The normal mortgage payer is not a big player in the property market.

They can lose as well as win as we found out in the last crash.

At the end of the day they just have a home to live in when the mortgage is paid.

• Advertisement

up, 10% of the population probably doing fine, but a large proportion of the 90% probably arent doing great, averages, sometimes not a great indicator of the many….

…rising wealth inequality, probably isnt a great idea…..

The average disposable (i.e. post tax) household income in the 5th decile is €50500 per year. While half have less, half have more. While many are struggling with costs, many many people are quite ok too.

…..again, the majority are not earning 50k a year! its like that saying in regards averages, 'when bill gates walks into a pub, everyones a millionaire'! this means a very high amount of people are just hanging on, i.e. living in precarity…..yes some are doing okay, but many, possible most, are not, they are deeply exposed to inflationary problems, higher interest rates etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

There's so many variables in this debate but the people I think who are really struggling are those who have to rent but their income is slightly above the threshold for Hap and other supports

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Plenty of people with disposable income, two of my kids working for the summer in the hospitality sector and the money being spent on food and drink is crazy, cocktails are no longer a treat I doubt there being sold for less than 12 euro and being drank all night as standard

plenty guzzling class a's such as cocaine to……

• Registered Users Posts: 13,372 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Here is some income data, to put things in context.

All data in this post is at the household level.

First, median disposable income is 55,149, that is about 1,060 per week disposable income:

Mean disposable income is higher, at 62,898:

The question posed at the start of the thread was "is everybody broke?". Clearly that's not the case, only a minority are.

The majority are not earning €50k per year, but the average disposable household annual income in the 5th decile exceeds €50k (just)- this controls for outlier large salaries. This means that half of households have at least €50k of post tax income for household expenses.

At risk of poverty and consistent poverty are 11% and 4% respectively. Lots of people are fairly comfortable, we are a long way from everyone being broke.

yes we get this, but the op is working in retail, most working in that sector are not earning 50k a year, the majority are probably earning in the region of 20-40k a year, this leaves them deeply exposed to inflation and rapidly rising rates…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

In Dublin anyway it's hard to get a table in many restaurants these days on short notice. Everywhere seems rammed at the weekends. Some people are struggling and some are thriving is how it looks to me.

Advertisement