Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats shot by neighbour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

It's a grey area AFAIK. "Domestic" cats are protected but feral cats are not explicitly protected and what the demarcation between is not clear.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭winstonia

We were acting the maggot as kids shooting neighbours cars with an air rifle. Well my friend was. Said neighbour reported it and the house was raided.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

No one is on the "other" side and people will ask because no-one here, I assume, goes and shoots cats but I do know that this has come up before and no definitive answer has ever been given.

Uncontrolled cats are an absolute nightmare for many people.

If you can not control your pets you should not have them

Post edited by Norrie Rugger Head on

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If a neighbour's cat defecates on your property, that's terrible, but if it catches and kills a rat? What about birds that

sh​it on your car, house, outdoor furniture, laundry on the line?

I live rurally and foxes come and go, leave calling cards on the rear doorstep. Other forms of wildlife, cats from the farm up the road, my cats, birds, hedgehogs, all do their thing, and I don't mind. Bacteria, slugs and rain takes care of everything in a fairly small time frame.

Unfortunately for cats, Ireland has no bare soil or sand, plants are over abundant and take over every square cm. In drier climes with areas of bare soil and sand, cats dig a hole, defecate and then neatly cover it up and bury it. They can't do that in Ireland, poor things.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,812 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I suppose the way to approach it is from the other side, they're not specifically noted as being vermin, therefore fall under the 'protection of animals act'.

That would be my take on it anyway. Otherwise you'd need to list every mammal in Ireland under the act to note it as being protected.

Far simpler just to reference a list of the mammals actually considered vermin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Babyreignbow

Bad things happen to people who harm cats, the Egyptians didn't worship them for nothing ya know.😉

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You have to wonder at people advocating cruelty against animals, seems to be the very worst thing a person could do. Up there with abusing children.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭suvigirl

<snipped deleted post>

Abusing animals or children is the lowest thing a person can do and really says something about their mental health

Post edited by DBB on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭con747

<snipped deleted post>

If you look at the previous page you might find you are thread banned. So how about keeping it up and go for a full site ban.

Post edited by DBB on

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,140 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

<snipped deleted post>

You are some piece of work.

Post edited by DBB on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I didn't talk about "various predators" though. I only mentioned cats.

Though actually if you include actions by humans that harm birds indirectly, like hedgerow loss and the massive loss of insect life due to intensive agriculture practices, I'd be willing to bet that there is not a single other predator of birds that kills even half the numbers of birds that die as a result of humans.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Squipo,

You are thread banned.

Do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭amber2

I was out running one day car full young lads passed me did a u turn came back after me and shot me with a pellet gun, rang partner who followed the car, rang guards told them had reg and were following the car and they did nothing. Few weeks later they rang me back and said they spoke with car owner and occupants and that was that. Don’t hold your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,812 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Awful situation but what they shot you with was not an air rifle from the sounds of things so probably not an actual firearm like in the OPs case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

All I can say is that ye are very decent law-abiding people.

I have 2 tomcats. They are my life. That said, I would respond similarly to anyone doing similar to any stray cat or indeed any wild animal unless serious justification.

It would happen once. I can't be clearer.

Based on your posts, bring the Gardaí in on it. Most people who use and fire guns are cowards at heart. Dangerous people, but ultimately just cowards and will fold.

A number of videos of cats on Youtube wearing gopros but you have to be lucky 24/7/365, that 2 legged vermin only has to be lucky once.

But you can get gps modules for cats (again, a bit bulky, matchbox sized. But then, you already know who it is.

Sorry, farming background here, landowner, but if any of the (potential, but currently grand ppl) f*cks we sold sites to harmed an animal like that, it would be one of those pivotal moments in their life. And mine. You couldn't tolerate that kind of nihilism.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭knobtasticus

Just to be clear here, no one is legitimately condoning the unjust harm of any animal but it does need to be said - all cat owners have the same responsibility of control as dog owners and under no circumstances should pet cats be allowed to roam uncontrolled/without supervision. I’m a multi-dog and cat owner and all animals in my care are kept strictly controlled because my pets have no business leaving my property uncontrolled.

As has been suggested, OP should of course make a police report but step 1 of any resolution here is to cease allowing your cats to leave the bounds of your property unsupervised - both for their safety and the safety of other wildlife.

In tightly packed semi-d housing estates, ie much of Ireland, cats wandering into gardens is no doubt problematic. Particularly with small infants and toddlers re hygiene. Owners should be conscious of where their cat is.

But in more rural areas, if someone harmed your cat like that, it would not end well. Even a dog poisoned in the case of sheep worrying, its just a very blunt instrument and it may very well get answered. Life happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

all cat owners have the same responsibility of control as dog owners and under no circumstances should pet cats be allowed to roam uncontrolled/without supervision

Could you provide a link to the Control of Cats Act please?

I must have missed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭knobtasticus

What an incredibly facetious response. You did notice I didn’t use the phrase ‘legal responsibility’ right? But if you want to go down that route - the Animal Health and Welfare Act explicitly states that all owners of protected animals must ensure that their animals do not cause a nuisance and do not cause harm to another animal. Neither of these responsibilities can be upheld if your cat is roaming unsupervised.

Similarly, the EU Birds and Habitats Directive also makes free roaming of domestic cats forbidden and indeed, the slow enforcement of this directive (despite Ireland being beholden to EU Environmental Law) is a shameful oversight on the part of the Government - and especially the Greens. However, the last time I looked into it, there was some progress and I expect a public info campaign to kick-off sooner rather than later.

At a fundamental level, no nature- or animal-lover should ever be comfortable with the notion of their cat (or any pet) causing harm to another animal or, being put at risk because of crazies, as described by OP, shooting them off their property.

Having active responsibility for your pets shouldn’t need enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Love the generalisation there, there are over 100k licensed firearm owners in this country and you’d be hard pushed to find one who would intentionally injure any animal in this manner.
    Firearm ownership in this country is a privilege that can be withdrawn very easily.
    Applying for a firearms license entails providing information to An Garda that no other law abiding citizen in any other sport or pastime has to provide and we also have to deal with clueless opinions like yours on a regular basis.
    Can you please explain how you have come to the conclusion that firearm owners are dangerous or they’re cowards? Where are all the stories of legitimate firearms owners in this country harming others?

To the OP, unfortunately cats are a gray area when it comes to vermin. If they are causing a problem then a landowner may well be within their rights to humanely dispatch them. It’s highly unlikely anyone would use an air rifle to attempt this though.

Someone using an air rifle in an urban area in this manner is probably not someone who has a licensed firearm although that is speculation.
    Your best way forward is to control your cats and inform Gardai of the situation.

I think you lost me when you said this "unfortunately cats are a gray area when it comes to vermin" cats are NOT vermin.

You said - and I quoted your post "all cat owners had the same responsibility of control as dog owners."

The control of dogs is legislated for under the Control of Dogs Act. There is no equivalent legislation for the control of cats, so no, cat owners do not have the same responsibility of control as dog owners do, and your statement was false.

Most likely deliberately so, as you came back with "notice I didn't use the phrase legally responsible."

The rest I really couldn't be bothered wasting time getting into a debate about. Some people just hate cats.

Indeed.

I have a fox that visits my back garden almost every night, in my mid-terrace Dublin suburban home, and I have to wash my car weekly due to bird poop. I've seen squirrels, hedgehogs and rabbits in my garden too, and I'm sure there are other rodents, all of whom will leave presents behind them, but it's only cats that are seen as causing a "nuisance".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Love the online hard man vigilante vibes here 😂😂😂

Advertisement