Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Discovering Increasing Automation in my new car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Can you turn it off by default though? We got a VW and it's bloody annoying on rural roads, comes on by default every time you start the engine. That's taking it too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It varies by make and model. With my current car it stays off until I decide to turn it on again. With my last car I had to turn it off every time I started the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭User1998

I think in all new cars its on by default now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

we recently had the State here redo our roads. The ramp into the office is rather steep and the state decided to pit a different coloured concrete on the road outside the ramp.

one of my cars sees it as a danger when I reverse and slams the brakes on first time frightened the sh1te out of me. So now I take the other car unless I have large goods needed.

Have to say cruising with lane assist and auto speed distance control while setting your speed, is so easy especially on highways. The cars look at surroundings and warn you. It also monitors driver condition and tells you when you’re tired. Take a break coffee etc. after a long day it’s very welcome, seeing as we all think we are the worlds best drivers😀

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 BLV

From 2024 all new cars will have an excessive speed notification system that cannot be turned off, every time when you start the car, it goes back to its default state. While the intent is good, the intelligent sign assist (road sign recognition) currently is not reliable. I have tested cars from multiple vendors and these are common issues:

When driving on a highway it often reads signs from slip roads. If you are driving on ACC with ISA, it is dangerous as it will suddenly slow your car from 120 kph to 60 kph

It does not read temporary sign that do not have a red circle

Some cars ignore temporary signs with a red circle when they are installed too low

Some cars do not understand the difference between miles and kilometres

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

How long do manufacturers provide security and operating system updates for ? What happens after this time ?

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

See if you can change it with VCDS/OBDEleven/similar?

On my 2012 A7 the Start-Stop functionality is (by default) activated everytime I switch on the engine. Drives me nuts. Can't stand it and was turning it off manually each time using the button on the dash, but using OBDEleven I was able to set it to remember the last setting on power-up (also allows it to be turned off completely as well).

Sometimes (randonly every few weeks) it seems to reset to default (always on) but pressing the button puts it back into memory mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I learned to drive in cars that had windy up windows and didn't even have central locking. I knew in that car when my car steering wheel started to veer to the left or right, that this was because there was either a problem with the car, or the road and I was able to learn how to control a car based on the mechanics and gain an understanding for the limits of grip, how to drive in different road conditions

These days, modern cars are constantly taking over the controls. If I was 18 again and learning to drive in my mothers fancy new BMW, and the car drove itself, kept it's own lane position, steered for itself around gentle bends, braked for me when I was parking or in danger of a collision, and then I need to get my own car and it has none of those features, It would be like driving a completely different type of vehicle.

I can see a time when there is a different license category and you can only drive pre 2020 cars if you have passed your test in a car without any of those automatic driving aids enabled. (similar to the manual v auto license)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I would suggest that anything safety related would need to be done as a product recall like what currently happens all the time when mechanical parts are discovered to be faulty

If it's part of the infotainment or non safety related and the car can continue to function without an update, you'll just keep the old software for the service life of the vehicle.

If it's an enthusiasts car, there is the possibility that there could be after market software updates, you could in theory be able to replace the or flash the ECU with a modified version of the software although this would require that the EU takes the 'right to repair' seriously and doesn't allow manufacturers to lock every single component to the original vehicle they were installed on)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I'm the very opposite, I avoid driver aids at all costs. Although I'm not some luddite who sees them as the Devil's work, they definitely make the world a safer place, and make things easier for those with mobility issues. I just love driving so much that I want to keep it in my control of my brain, not the artificial brain under a bonnet. Luckily for me, my cars are very much a product of the past (with the rust repair bills to prove it)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭kirving

I think your opening line is ignoring the extremely well known fact that road fatalities have been steadily falling pretty much every year since the 1960s, where there was far fewer cars on the road. Of course that is down to safer roads, and less drink driving, but also part of a larger road safety strategy which has a major focus on vehicle safety.

A few naysayers decried the introduction of ABS and ESC for similar reasons to you post, and the one I have quoted below, and sure, neither are necessarily your friend when trying to control a car on black ice, but for 99% of drivers, in 99% of scenarios, they're in your corner, mopping up your slow reaction times, and lack of experience with oversteer on a dark wet night when you're tired on the way home from work.

Technology will always be fallible, so don't let perfection be the enemy of progress. Most of the issues you've listed above are down to lack of training, meaning lack of knowledge, and therefore lack of interest by drivers in general.

I do understand your point though, there is a human element that can't be ignored, as it too often is, but training upfront, not liability afterward is the important part.

What have the RSA done to adjust their training in the past 10 years to teach drivers how blind spot monitoring works? Do they (via ADIs) teach people how the EU mandated AEB systems work, and more importantly what they won't do? How to properly drive a car with Active Cruise Control? They're asleep at the wheel, forgive the pun.

Salespeople are to blame too, they're not interested in actually teaching people how this tech works. My car can honestly almost drive itself on the motorway, but the salesman hadn't a clue.

IMO, at minimum, you should be forced to watch a lengthy video from the manufacturer once a year, on the car screen, which explains how the ADAS features work.

But overall, what is really needed is standardisation for all of the above features, driven by the EU, so that I know when I get into a car with "Blind Spot Monitoring", I know that it's going to react in a very similar way in a Mini as in an MG.

https://www.rsa.ie/docs/default-source/road-safety/r2---statistics/road-deaths-in-ireland-1959/road-deaths-in-ireland-1959-to-2020.pdf?sfvrsn=2f120623_7

Realistically, arguing against safety systems which are statistically proven to save lives en masse, because someone could drive an older car and get into a collision is a stretch to say the absolute minimum.

When I get into my mothers car, I do have to take a second to remind myself that I haven't got the same tech as my own car, but that's one small step backward for me, while a hundred thousand newer, ever safer cars will hit the roads this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Kurooi

You're hardly going to attribute lower fatalities since 1960s to driver assistance? So why bring it up.

And you're missing the point, if our own authorities are telling us not to rely on those systems then what lack of training are you referring to? the training is DO NOT RELY ON THAT. I take an issue with that. Either these systems are helping or they're adding unnecessary distractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

The point of these warnings (Like BLS) is to warn you if your blind spot is occupied by another car. Yes you should always check, but that doesn't invalidate its effectiveness in the case where somebody is in imminent danger of a collision. The advice to not rely on them is simply to stop people using them as the only indication of it being safe to change lanes or pull out into traffic. The training (I assume) is to remind people that having these warnings doesn't mean that they can now stop using their mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭kirving

"Driver assistance" is an incredibly broad term, and yes, has been in development and roll out since the 60's and before.

The same arguments were made about vacuum assisted brakes, power steering, ABS and ESC. ie: building bad habits, and "what if" scenarios about a driver not being equipped with the skill or strength to handle a car if they fail.

It's not a zero sum game, where either you or the car are fully responsible for a collision. Think about where the Blind Spot Monitor lights are? They're on the mirror. You need to already be using the mirror to utilise them, so they're as tiny a distraction as possible.

The lack of training I mention, even about the concept of such a system is sorely obvious from your post. They are not to be relied upon, in fact you shouldn't even really notice them until they see something that you've missed, at which point they'll provide a warning. If you think that no red light in the mirror means that it's safe to change lanes, then you're totally mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Same here, but surely we are the worst drivers ever (except for our parents who really hadn't a clue) or was it the cars? There were far less cars on the road and the fatality numbers were in their five hundreds per year. I find younger drivers in present time where I'm from in Dublin are much more responsible and mature in comparison the carry on when we learned to drive.

Post edited by John_Rambo on

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jsmrf

I wasn't arguing against the safety systems themselves, simply the notion that people starting out should learn with them. Had you actually read my responses in their full context you would have seen I acknowledged that they have their place and that I am grateful that I have the ability to drive cars that aren't literal steel coffins like they were mere decades ago. However, I don't want to have to rely on them where my own abilities can suffice. That's it.

Yes, so I'm supposed to check the system - the light, for whether my blindspot is occupied, and then confirm it as usual with my own eyes. Now I would think that observing with my own eyes already is a check. So the way I see it either:

1. Observation with eyes is not enough, so all cars should be REQUIRED to have assistance systems and our road rules including RSA and driving ed need to require these as part of observation .

or

2. Observation with eyes is enough, and these extra systems and lights are an added distraction and an extra lights distracting you from the road.

Now I'm leaning 2 personally, because I'm careful and my sight is OK so if I checked with my eyes I don't need a gizmo to second guess that. But under either scenario I just don't see how that system logically slots into road safety.

Maybe you didn't read this from @kirving above, so rather than retype what he wrote, I'll just copy it here:

The lack of training I mention, even about the concept of such a system is sorely obvious from your post. They are not to be relied upon, in fact you shouldn't even really notice them until they see something that you've missed, at which point they'll provide a warning. If you think that no red light in the mirror means that it's safe to change lanes, then you're totally mistaken.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,361 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i would see these as driver aids (or safety nets), not replacements for driver skills or responsibilities.

my car is much older than mentioned in the OP, so i don't have many of the aids; but i don't need to pay attention to the reversing radar, it beeps and changes tone depending on how close i am to an obstacle. so i can pay full heed to checking around me without having to modify that to also watch a screen.

• Advertisement

And is this light system detailed by RSA? Is it on our driving lessons? Does anybody check this?

We're just comfortable that it works, don't question it, can't question it, if it works it's great if it doesn't it's drivers fault.

We're going around in circles now. This has all been explained to you. Multiple times.

Yes, the assistance is useful and great for road safety.

And if it kills anybody the manufacturer gets no blame.

Our regulation and guidance pretend it doesn't exist, so it's not tested or regulated.

Am I up to speed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭10-10-20

No.

Failure of comprehension is my diagnosis. Inability to read a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭djan

You do realise that a blindspot is called that because you can't see anything in it. The correct procedure would be to check mirror first for traffic and if blind post light is on reassess manoeuvre or move in a way to accommodate for a potential vehicle/person being there.

Think of it as a back up safety system same as a parking sensor.

If multiple people are explaining something to you and you still don't understand, it's either wilful or what I said above. Either way it's not something I'm going to waste any more of my valuable time on. Good bye.

Yes you're very intelligent and important, good bye :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jsmrf

While I don't agree with all of the opinions of the users you're arguing with, they couldn't have made a simpler and more convincing argument for why your perceived issue is actually a non-issue if they tried.

Advertisement